minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  Events  ~  Minn-Max Minnetonka Ride Saturday May 28
Brad
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I've been thinking about crashing this ride with my Bajaj on Saturday, because "the anticipated top speed of 50 mph" Thought that I'd post in case others might be interested. The Minn-Max yahoo group is at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Minn-Max/

Ride description from the Minn-Max site:
We will meet up for our next group ride on Saturday, May 28th at the Bruegger's Bagel Bakery* in West Wind Plaza on County Road 101 in Minnetonka. The plan is to head out at 10:30 AM, but feel free to come earlier to nosh and socialize.

This ride will be a gentle meander around Lake Minnetonka and the areas west of the Twin Cities. The route will include a stop or two, including one for a midday meal at a sit-down restaurant. Total length will be around 80 miles with an anticipated top speed of around 50 miles per hour. Anyone whose scooter can handle these speeds and distance is welcome to join us.

Please be sure that you have plenty of fuel to complete the trip before we depart. There is a Conoco gas station near the starting point of our ride.

The ride map for this trip will be posted in the files section of our online forum prior to the 28th. In the event of inclement weather I will post a postponement notice to this list by 9:00 AM the day of the ride.

- Adam -

* The Bruegger's is located at 4719 County Road 101 in Minnetonka, just north of the intersection of Hwy 7 & CR-101.

Adam
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:53 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Actually, I designed this as a shorter ride with a more gentle pace in hopes that it would bring out some of the traditional scooters to ride with the maxies. As always, Minn-Max welcomes anyone with a scooter capable of traveling at the speeds and going the distances of our rides.

Right now the Saturday weather forecast is for a cool, cloudy day with possible showers (big surprise). If this changes to an out-and-out rainy day, the ride will be postponed until later in our schedule. If you are considering coming, please be sure to check the ride section of our www.maxiscooters.org site before heading out. If we do scrub the ride, I will have it posted there by 9:00 AM on Saturday.

This particular ride will start in Minnetonka then travel through Deephaven, Greenwood, and Excelsior. It continues around Lake Minnetonka, then heads west to St. Bonifacius and Waconia. From there it turns north to Watertown, Delano (where we'll stop for lunch), and on to Rockford. Finally, it heads east then south going through Loretto, Minnetrista, Minetonka Beach and Wayzata before returning to the starting point in Minnetonka.

Should be a nice ride if the weather cooperates.

Brad
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:09 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Shorter ride? 80 miles? If I come, I'll have more like 140 miles in, since I'm coming from Shoreview

Have you ever thought about doing the cannonball...

Adam
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:53 am  Reply with quote
Permit

While the Cannonball is not my idea of a riding vacation, there is a Minn-Max rider that I could picture doing it. He's taken 3,000 mile vacations on his Honda Helix, 5000 mile ones on his Honda Silver Wing, and even done an Iron Butt 1000. (That's a thousand miles in 24 hours.)

And you are right about ride mileage. A route's posted miles does not account for the distance one has to travel to get to and from the ride itself. This ride deliberately starts close to home for me, however, we've done ones that start in Stillwater and head into northwest Wisconsin. That makes an 80 mile round trip for me not counting the group ride itself.

Ah the things we do for fun.
Brad
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:06 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thanks for the fun ride, and keeping it under warp speed Adam. That's quite the milege group, one of your members said "Oh, I put on 1,000 miles so far this year, but most of it was in the first two weeks of April"

Wow

I did learn that you can run a Bajaj down 394 on a Saturday morning and that the top end ranges from 53 to 58 into a slight headwind depending on the grade. Also, power difference was most apparent when accerating with the big scooters, I was winding through the gears while the maxi's were just loafing along.