minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Another downtown parking question
scmds
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote
Noob

Long time listener first time caller

I work downtown on 2nd and 2nd, kitty-corner from Moose and Sadies. We have a fat sidewalk in front of our building and this morning I parked my scoot on the sidewalk under one of the awnings. My question is this, I drive a P200, but I have moped plates on it. Am I going to get ticketed for being on the sidewalk? or is it really a matter of the meter-maid's knowledge? I see the allstate parked on Nicollet and I'm wondering if they have had any problems, that one is on one of the busiest corners of the city.

Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:12 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

You should be okay with the moped plates, if you get a ticket you should be able to argue it down by going to the HCGC and talking to a hearing officer.

Of course, in Toronto, any scooter can park on the sidewalk.

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Stumpy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:56 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I was just looking at that Allstate this morning. It parks right outside my building. It was there all summer last year and I saw a meter maid go right past it. Of course, it does have moped plates.

~Clarification~

I stated that there was free scooter parking for "tenants" of 50 south sixth and said that you enter just after Ike's, but you enter just "before" Ike's and right after Murray's. Take the left down the ramp at the light which exists for no known reason.
some_dude
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:57 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm looking out my window at your scooter, I think you picked a nice spot. I work above Moose & Sadies.

My experience in Minneapolis is that the parking enforcement & police are, ...umm, under-educated on the nuances of the law. It seems there is no consistancy on who gets ticketed & who does not. As 433 said, the only thing to do is educate yourself & be prepared to argue. The hearing officer usually knows the law. Be very careful about sharing the fact that yours is 200cc.
scmds
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:17 am  Reply with quote
Noob

Do you ride down here? I have to make a trip up to the Govermeny Center leter this afternoon for tabs, ooops. Hopefully when the Meter Maid inspects my moped plates she doesn't notice the expired tabs.
some_dude
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

scmds wrote:
Do you ride down here?

I just started working here, have not scooted yet. I've been scouting for a good/cheap spot for my scoot. I don't have moped plates.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:39 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Funny, I didn't know 200cc bikes could be registered with moped plates...

Of course, everybody with a P series with an aftermarket exhaust is already breaking the law, so what's a little more breakage, eh?

scmds
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:13 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

I had an unusually pleasant experience at the DMV. The whole deal took about ten minutes and that was at 12:10, usually the Goverment Center sucks right about then. It was especially gratifying to step up to the counter and have the woman look at the computer screen and say "78 moped", I replied "Yep, 78 moped.' Probably the only time I like to refer to my scooter as a moped.

Now I just need to get a license, I've been renewing my permit every year for five years, I think I've seen every possible question on that test. Last year I had a particularly embarassing experience. I had just finished my test and the woman next to me was hesitating on a question. Her exam was in Spanish, but the question was one I had just answered, so I discretly pointed at the third answer, which was the right choice on my screen. Oops, it flashed wrong as she pushed the third answer, then flashed me a very angry look. That's what I get for trying to help someone cheat.