minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  I need help! (tech question)
nealaustin
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

scootervillain wrote:
We've seen a lot of petcock failure in Vespa ET-2s come through Scooterville. Though we haven't dealt with it on the 150cc leader engine ( I would guess that's what they run in the Fly) I'd be surprised if the fuel valve was any different.
When we had the first modern Vespa come through with a flooding problem I contacted a friend who operates a shop in Provo, Utah. He had wrenched at a Vespa Boutique before opening his own place. He told me to replace the Piaggio valve with a reliable (Kymco) alternative. He said if you swap out the Piaggio petcock it will eventually fail again.
I've had an ET come in to service with the manual valve installed. I think that's a pretty lame fix, especially on a warranty bike, but Piaggio parts can be a nightmare to get. Especially the stuff that breaks a lot.
We just did the Kymco implant into two scooters last week. One was Matty's Ital-jet (same engine).
The surgery costs about $ 75 depending on model.

Just realized that my bracket isn't on the side with the air filter it's on the right side. The filter is on the left side. The position of the screw is the same. Right where the floorboard ends.

yoyo65
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

[i][b][b]So far my fly(150) has been running fantastic!!!!! what a joy !!! I don't know if you Fly 150's guys know Motoprimo is having a Vespa/Piaggo truck day june 3rd 10a-3pm Vespa factory reps will be there. I plan on bring mine there and really drilling these guys about the Fly 150 and asking about some of the problems i've read about[/b] I'm also thinking about getting a windshield??[/b][/i]

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:44 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Interesting style executed in that post...

yoyo65
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

that's because my husband wrote that one.

nealaustin
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

yoyo65 wrote:
[i][b][b]So far my fly(150) has been running fantastic!!!!! what a joy !!! I don't know if you Fly 150's guys know Motoprimo is having a Vespa/Piaggo truck day june 3rd 10a-3pm Vespa factory reps will be there. I plan on bring mine there and really drilling these guys about the Fly 150 and asking about some of the problems i've read about[/b] I'm also thinking about getting a windshield??[/b][/i]

Windshield? I've thought about one too. Do you know where to see one. Love my Fly150 too.

nate
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

As I've said before, a 150 engine is going to lose a lot of top end if you increase the ddrag by adding a windshield. I'd recommend against it. Get a full face helmet.
Brad
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:54 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

nate wrote:
As I've said before, a 150 engine is going to lose a lot of top end if you increase the ddrag by adding a windshield. I'd recommend against it. Get a full face helmet.

It depends on the size of the windshield. If you're talking about a sail (full sized tall), I think it would slow you down. But I think my mini-shield on my Bajaj actually adds a mph or two. It's got to be more aerodynamic than me!

It's a short one, so my helmeted head sticks above it. But it cuts the cold and light rain from creeping into my jacket. I think it adds a few weeks of riding at the beginning and end of the season also.

yoyo65
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

nealaustin wrote:
I know I am hijacking threads again but it has to do with your husband's Fly150. I took my fly into Motoprimo today for the first service. It was getting harder and harder to start. The mechanic said that it was due to the automatic petcock was bad and it would leak gas down into the carb/cylinder. They installed a manual one so now I have a manual petcock in my fly(LOL). They didn't attach it to anything so tonight I took a band of 1/6 x 3/4 aluminum and bent it so that I could attach it to the rear screw of the air filter panel. I just replaced the screw and metal thingy with a st.steel screw and self locking nut. That way it doesn't flop around. These Auto-petcocks fail 90% of the time according to the mechanic. I would post a picture but I have no Idea how to do it.[/img]

Hi Neal,

This Richard w/fly 150 and as it got warmer it was getting harder to start mine, it flooded once or twice.I took it in for my 625 warrenty check up and jsut before i did that i saw it was leaking gas....so it was good timing taking it in. 625 check up went well, took it in on a wed morning got it back thursday !!!! Took it for a long ride, about a hour came back it it was leaking gas again !!!! then it would start at all i thought i trashed the starter. Had it towed back there friday morning and the installed a shut off valve.. so far so good .. The piaggo reps were suppose to be there last sat for a vespa/piaggo truck day and i was planning on going there and pick their brains... i didn't make it.. i was mad at myself for not going. But when i went to today to get my Fly 150 i ask how did it go.. the mechanic said they didn't show!!!!! and they were suppose to bring a truck full of scooter, so motoprimo had to prep all their scooters cause they had people scheduled for rides!!!!! that was a bit disappointing

how's your so far ???

Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:36 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

scootervillain wrote:
We've seen a lot of petcock failure in Vespa ET-2s come through Scooterville. Though we haven't dealt with it on the 150cc leader engine ( I would guess that's what they run in the Fly) I'd be surprised if the fuel valve was any different.
When we had the first modern Vespa come through with a flooding problem I contacted a friend who operates a shop in Provo, Utah. He had wrenched at a Vespa Boutique before opening his own place. He told me to replace the Piaggio valve with a reliable (Kymco) alternative. He said if you swap out the Piaggio petcock it will eventually fail again.
I've had an ET come in to service with the manual valve installed. I think that's a pretty lame fix, especially on a warranty bike, but Piaggio parts can be a nightmare to get. Especially the stuff that breaks a lot.
We just did the Kymco implant into two scooters last week. One was Matty's Ital-jet (same engine).
The surgery costs about $ 75 depending on model.

WOW this sounds like a great idea!

Are you really surpirsed by the Pee ah ge o no show? I'm sure they would have given a rats ass about your problem with your scooter, or even knew what model they sell. I think these guys are outta touch. I do feel sorry about you scooter malfunctions but it sounds like Bob has found the way to get it corrected. So quit hitting your thumb with the hammer and go get'er done.