minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  hello all...
some_dude
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom Lindsay wrote:
If mid-century houses are your style (they're definitely not mine)

I'm with you , Tom. Ramblers are not my style either. I'm old enough to remember that they were often what developers/builders threw up in new areas for purely economic reasons, usually looking like rows and rows of the same box. Now they are "mid-century" and are considered to have style. Whatever, to each his own.

St Anthony is full of ramblers, in fact I have a friend that has one for sale on a corner on the parkway. Two bedroom up, HUGE basement, L-shaped with attached garage, pool, fenced yard. Built in late forties, it has some quality features - coved ceilings, archways, etc. Interested? Let me know.
SS180
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:28 am  Reply with quote
Training

some_dude wrote:
Tom Lindsay wrote:
If mid-century houses are your style (they're definitely not mine)

I'm with you , Tom. Ramblers are not my style either. I'm old enough to remember that they were often what developers/builders threw up in new areas for purely economic reasons, usually looking like rows and rows of the same box. Now they are "mid-century" and are considered to have style. Whatever, to each his own.

St Anthony is full of ramblers, in fact I have a friend that has one for sale on a corner on the parkway. Two bedroom up, HUGE basement, L-shaped with attached garage, pool, fenced yard. Built in late forties, it has some quality features - coved ceilings, archways, etc. Interested? Let me know.

yes, I am interested in looking at your friend's horrific piece of crap tract home...er I mean midcentury modern home. Please forward me the info, that would be great.

I happen to really like mid-century furnishings and accessories. I absolutely adore early housing styles, and currently own a georgian built in the 40's that has more traditional architectural features. I just don't believe in trying to make a house something it's not, and taking a 1920's bungalow and trying to cram furnishings into it that clash with its architecture doesn't sit well with me. I figured since I am starting fresh I should look for a house that more suits my style.

that being said, I am pretty disappointed in what I am seeing so far in listings there. In the Chicago area there are many neighborhoods of very cool 50's properties. Even in my own neighborhood there are many cool ranches sprinkled in with the 1920's bungalows...haven't really seen much that really speaks to me yet there. But all I need to find is one, so I keep scouring the MLS listings.
some_dude
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:12 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

SS180 wrote:
yes, I am interested in looking at your friend's horrific piece of crap tract home...er I mean midcentury modern home. Please forward me the info, that would be great.

MLS # 3142513

Dayn
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:53 am  Reply with quote
Noob

Hi there,

We are scooter folk moving to Minneapolis from Canada and recently contacted a real estate agent about finding a place. Much to our dismay, he said it was unrealistic to find a place in Minneapolis for under $200,000 unless we want to "live in a high crime neighbourhood with frequent police activity." Err... Is he just trying to freak us naive Canadians out, or it this true? We don't need to live in an idyllic paradise, but would prefer to live somewhere where we can walk at night and not get shot . . . Any suggestions of areas that are better than others?

~dayn & julie
some_dude
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:56 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Dayn wrote:
. Any suggestions of areas that are better than others?

I think the agent you talked to was exaggerating. I don't claim to be a real estate expert, but I've lived in Minneapolis for 20+ years. While there certainly are neighborhoods that fit the description you heard, there are more that are very nice. I also think that, if you do a diligent search, you can find houses in the range you mentioned. I live in NE Minneapolis, usually referred to as "NordEast", and recommend it highly. There are homes here that sell in all ranges, reflecting the condition, size, and surroundings.

My suggestion is to do your research on where you want to live & find a realtor familiar with those neighborhoods.
Dayn
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:06 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Thanks for your suggestion! We were wondering if the realtor was exaggerating as well. We were seeing loads of places on the web in the price range we were looking for--particularly in the NE area, as you suggested. Looks like we should find another real estate agent. . .
Matty
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Talk to Egan here, he has a friend who is an agent, he'll hook you up. Yeah Northeast is the place to be, but it does vary street by street, if you see any you like let us know and we can do a drive by.

Also South East is nice too, check out the ones 433 posted the other day.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:17 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
We are scooter folk moving to Minneapolis from Canada

Why would you want to move here from Canada? Sorry to ask a personal question....

Dave
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:49 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Can you bring me some Tim Horton's?

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
chris
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I could bring you some Timmy Hoes those damn places are all over RI

Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:58 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

w00t!

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dayn
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:22 am  Reply with quote
Noob

Quote:
Why would you want to move here from Canada? Sorry to ask a personal question....

#1. Julie got a sweet job at the University of Minnesota
#2. One bedroom apartments where we live (Vancouver, BC) go for a million dollars each
#3. 45% of our income goes to taxes

Seriously, though, it was a tough decision but we have heard great things about Minneapolis. The climate with be a bit traumatizing for us, but hopefully we will survive. . .
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:57 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The language appears to be a hurdle as well, but that will come with time.

Hey, hey, hey, I'm only kidding. It's 3 am. I can't sleep so I'm a bit punchy.

Welcome to Minneapolis. It's a great city to call home.
EvilScooterKitty
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:37 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Welcome to the Twin Cities! There are plenty of houses in the price range you mentioned in good areas. In fact, the prices of some housing is stabalizing or even falling. I would suggest to check out areas in St. Paul as well as Nordeeest Minneapolis. I think others have mentioned that a few blocks can make a big difference in "livability" and it's true. I live near Lake Phalen and love it. We have some thrft in our area, but that's going to be true just about everyplace you look in the Twin Cities. That being said, just about eight blocks away is an area with higher crime. I walk the Lake Phalen park at all hours and have never had a problem (other then animal waste - geese, dogs, etc. - right on the damn path).

This is a great place to live and a fun scootering area.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:43 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Dayn wrote:
Quote:

#1. Julie got a sweet job at the University of Minnesota
#2. One bedroom apartments where we live (Vancouver, BC) go for a million dollars each
#3. 45% of our income goes to taxes

Seriously, though, it was a tough decision but we have heard great things about Minneapolis. The climate with be a bit traumatizing for us, but hopefully we will survive. . .

Good luck and I hope it works out for you and your family. Come on out Scootin'! My wife would love to immigrate to Canada. She lived there for about a year and dreamt that she would marriage a Canadian. It didn't happen and the USA wasn't even on her radar.... :-)

Dave