minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Travelling sccot
cookanera
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:37 am  Reply with quote
Noob

OK, OK for those that remember me, I have been out of the Minnescoota scene for too long.

Reasons:
1. New baby
2. New old house in St Paul, requiring renovation
3. Dog
4. Garden
5. Work
6. Travel
7. Generally getting older and more boring

I was planning to get back into it this year, but now am facing the prospect of my job in Minneapolis terminating. That’s the bad news. The good news is that I am in the search process and in fact am in Modena, Italy, as I type, where I am interviewing for a new job.

So…the question is, IF I do get offered a job here, and IF I take it, should I take my 1980 P125 with me?? It has been on my mind. There are lots of scoots here but the majority are new (the shelf-life of a scooter, or a car for that matter, seems pretty short in Italian traffic). I look out my window now from the hotel and of the 50 odd scooters in the scooter park opposite, only one is “vintage”. My 125 is in great condition and is almost all original (except for the Malossi cylinder kit)

Out of interest I looked up the local scooter club, which is active. Have a look at the winter scooter scenes – they could teach us Minnascooterists a thing or two!

http://www.testecromate.com/raduni/Boiler2006/2con/index.html

Nick Cook
Lisa
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:36 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey Nick! Glad to hear you and the family are alive and well, although sorry you might not remain in the cities.

I'd say your scoot would be happier living in a garage in Minneapolis with another scooter it met some time ago. You'd sure miss it though.
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:09 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Looks like our kind of crowd:

[/img]
cookanera
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:17 am  Reply with quote
Noob

Thanks Lisa and thanks Jeff too for posting the picture. Those italians look pretty crazy. I like the Vespa with the studded back tire and the ski on the front.

I don't know if the the job over here is going to work out but I'll give it my best shot.

I of course sealed the fact that I would lose my job and move somewhere by ripping apart my kitchen to install my dream version. Maybe I'll get to cook in it once or twice.
Ritchie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:27 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Hey Nick,if I was you I'd sell it!You'll get more for the bike in the states and will have every opportunity to pick up something real special in Italy or have something custom made.Why Modena,you interviewing with Stima? Hope all is well with you and the family.
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:47 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Go Nick! We DO miss you but understand. I'd be real tempted to move to Italy too but I'd choose the countryside to the city.

Like Richie said, I think you'd be better off on a beater modern scooter in urban Italy. If you keep a vintage bike as anything other than a Sunday Latte putter it's likely to be damaged or stolen (I never saw a Lambretta in Italy with side covers).

Once you get used to the scooter scene over there, those amorphous plastic beat-to-crap scooters don't bother you at all. I LOVE the survival driving over there and nothing is better for it than a thrashed plastic La Crapo scoot!

Let's drink some red wine when you get back!
"TO EAT WELL IS TO LIVE WELL..."

Molo Willy