minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Still on our way
Dayn
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:53 am  Reply with quote
Noob

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the info on housing in the twin cities. We did have a rushed trip out there for 4 days of mad house hunting. We very nearly bought a small rambler but due to some required repairs and rigid sellers we couldn't come to terms. So we are still looking.

We're set on getting a retro rancher and noticed most of them seem to be in the Brooklyn center/park area. Any thoughts on those areas? Good? Bad?

On another note I have to say that it is going to take some time to get comfortable with the lack of a helmet law. The image of someone on their way to work wearing a suit and riding a Stella w/o a helmet is forever burned in my mind. It is a totally foreign idea to me.

Cheers,

Dayn
Matty
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:35 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Traffic might be the worst part about Brooklyn Center, esp. if your wife is going to work at the U. Check out New Brighton, Lauderdale, Roseville, and Falcon Heights, those are easy shots into downtown and the U and have some pockets of ramblers.

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:50 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Remember that just because we have no helmet law, you aren't required *not* to wear one...

Dayn
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:02 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Oh I'm all about helmets. The sight of people without them freaks me out. It will take a while for me to get comfortable with that.
Dayn
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:39 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

How bad does traffic get? It takes me about 45 min to an hour to drive 10 miles on my daily commute. I'm hoping the situation there is a little better?
Kevin K
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I live in Brooklyn Park and I own a rambler. PM or email me and we'll talk about the area.
The house next to me is for sale, although it might be priced high for the neighborhood. Also, you'd have me for a neighbor..... :(
-K (living in a yellow '59 Rambler)

trishie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:41 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

It really depends on where you live and where you're commuting to. worst traffic is probably from the west and southwest suburbs into downtown Minneapolis.

My 10-mi commute from the University area (home) to work in downtown St. Paul is easy, 10-20 minutes (30 minutes by scooter along back roads), but no one works in St. Paul. ;-). For a while I worked in Bloomington, a SW suburb of Minneapolis, and that commute sucked. 15 miles, 35-50 minutes, with lots of stop-and-go.

As far as places to live I personally don't care much for Brooklyn Park or Center. In addition to the burbs Matt mentioned, you might also look at Columbia Heights and St. Anthony. Columbia Heights in particular might have some decent ramblers for decent prices. I think we are both trying to mention places that are fairly convenient to the U and also convenient to both Mpls and St. Paul, yet not in the city (so cheaper).

BTW just wait till you see the cruiser and sport bike riders on the freeway with no helmet, wearing shorts and tank tops. <shudder>

When is your ETA?
SS180
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:51 pm  Reply with quote
Training

I've seen a lot of cute ramblers listed in St. Louis Park. We were in your exact situation trying to find something quick, ended up buying a rambler (not so retro, but great neighborhood) in South Minneapolis.
some_dude
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

St Anthony is full of ramblers. 15 min to downtown, 10 min to U. Nice neighborhoods. I don't have kids, but from what I am told the schools are good too.
Matty
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:20 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Kevin K wrote:
I live in Brooklyn Park

So as I was saying you probably don't want to live in Brooklyn Park!

Last edited by Matty on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

dmarquis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I work in St. Paul and live like 12 blocks away.....

Dave
Dayn
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:43 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the great advice. Our current ETA is July 1st. Since we are still without a place to live we will likely rent a month or two and keep looking while our stuff sits in storage. Hopefully that will give us time to figure out the different areas.

We .... ok I came to the realization (amazingly enough in the 95 degree heat ) that while we were focused on finding a place with a garage that it gets quite cold there in the winter and most of the garages are without any real heat source or insulation. Am I really going to feel inspired to work on scooters during the winter when OCC is on? Is it realistic to think that I can work in a garage when the temperature is below freezing? Do people work in their garages much during that time of year?
trishie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:12 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

some ramblers have attached or tuck-under garages. Failing that, do what we do -- our scooters are fully (well, mostly) housebroken and are often found in a spare room during the colder months...
some_dude
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:11 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Dayn wrote:
Do people work in their garages much during that time of year?

A Modine 60000 BTU direct vent hanging furnace in the garage altered my life forever.
Brad
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Due to global warming, working out in the garage is becoming easy (almost kidding). I hung a gas heater in mine also, but only fire it up if I have a project.

Any kids? Check the school districts also. St. Anthony is pretty good, we almost transfered one of the kids there. They also serve parts of New Brighton. Rumor had it that the school district was good because so many U profs live in St. Anthony.

Parking is a bear at the U, find somewhere near a bus line that goes in.

I live in Shoreview (North of St. Paul). I have a nice 2000 square foot rambler, 1957. It takes about 40 minutes to commute the 13 miles to my job in Mpls.