minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Who/Where Are You People
Anonymous
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:36 am  Reply with quote

Hello all -

I have finally made the move from my horrible, horrible, awful, terrible, (continue for a while here) little Baron (that I purchased a year ago, which destroyed its carb twice in that time), and about a week ago moved to a Kymco Super 9, which I acquired from Scooterville (which in many ways is the finest piece of machinery that I have ever owned).

I have put about 200km on it in the last 5 days, and decided that I'd like to ride with some other people. Unfortunately, you all's website isn't terribly clear about who you guys actually are, or what you do regularly...

Sooo, I'm basically wondering if my little 50cc scoot would fit in in any sort of riding that you guys do or if I'd be run over. And if I wouldn't be run over, when/where exactly do you guys actually ride? I've been watching the Events forum for the last week or two, but that hasn't been terribly enlightening either, aside from fairly cryptic references like "TNR" and "Rally."

Any information provided would be most appreciated. :D
Derrick
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:50 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

This used to be a vintage board but it has been taken over by newbies on new scoots. That's OK. They will accept almost anyone on almost anything, thus there is no real identity. Again, that's OK for your average anywho. So.. I'm sure they will be very accepting. I guess the TNR would be a good place to start.

P.S. I'm a "vintage guy" but I'm glad you dumped the P.O.S. Baron and got a decent scoot!
Moses
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Speaking of which, is my '03 Stella vintage yet?

:D

Moses
Yowling from the Fencepost.
Modern thoughts from a vintage brain. (...or was that the other way around?)
Derrick
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Sorry, a true vintage scooter won't help you John.
scootervillain
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:01 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

TNR or next Sunday at Lyn Lake Pizza Luce' are good places to start. Your de restricted S9 will run with (or out run) most of the crowd. Even organize something on your own. Outlaw Scooter Posse seems to have gone a bit dormant(?). I can put you together with some other 9 owners if you're interested.

Anonymous
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:38 am  Reply with quote

So is TNR a regular thing then? Weekly maybe? And what does it stand for?

And I was considering putting something together, but I didn't want to overlap any group that already was around.

How big are you guys? I mean - is this closer to a group of 10 or 100?

And also - I'm glad I dumped the P.O.S. Baron too. If you know anyone that would like to buy a non-functional one (to set on fire, throw off a cliff, etc.), let me know.
Kevin K
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:54 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

TNR = Tuesday Night Run.
It is a weekly ride, open to anyone with a scooter. Be warned that some of the 49cc scoots may not be able to pull a couple of the hills, although the Kymcos do fine.

More info here
-K

Sprocketjones
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:54 am  Reply with quote
Permit

TNRs a regular thing. Last week we left the meeting spot with 4 and we picked one scoot up as soon as we got going... so there were 5 of us. We did the St. Paul route and then ended up at Betty's and there were 2 more scooterists there.

The first week I rode with the Tuesday Night Ride there were 9 of us and they said that was the biggest group yet. I've only been to one Sunday ride and that was around 6 or 8 I can't remember....

There are a couple of TNR posts in Events that should give you the basics....

Moses
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:30 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
Sorry, a true vintage scooter won't help you John.

Crap. Oh well. I tried.

Moses
Yowling from the Fencepost.
Modern thoughts from a vintage brain. (...or was that the other way around?)
Derrick
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Well, as they teach kids in schools these days, trying is all that matters.

Oh, that's right - are you teaching yet/still?
Jo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:27 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Derrick wrote:
Oh, that's right - are you teaching yet/still?

I thought he was driving a cab. You know, that whole "Hail Moses" thing...

;-)
Matty
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:18 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
This used to be a vintage board but it has been taken over by newbies on new scoots. That's OK. They will accept almost anyone on almost anything, thus there is no real identity. Again, that's OK for your average anywho. So.. I'm sure they will be very accepting. I guess the TNR would be a good place to start.

P.S. I'm a "vintage guy" but I'm glad you dumped the P.O.S. Baron and got a decent scoot!

Are you sure it's ok Derrick?

Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:40 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Regarding our rides, Richard, I encourage you to just start showing up wherever there is a ride or event. You will quickly learn whether this is for you or not.

In my own case, I was LUCKY. While I'm certainly not a charter member of this group nor am I in any "inner sanctum"(if there is such a thing), I'm just a member who likes to ride and be around scooters and scooterista.

But, nonetheless, something magical has happened. By going on the group rides I've gotten one of the best collective experiences of my life. I've met people who I know will be LIFELONG FRIENDS, I've learned to see the 2-stroke Italian scooter as not only a brilliant piece of machinist architecture but also as a work of art. i'm interacting with the urban streetscape in a way that I believe adds charm and humor to the muggles in their SUV world. We give people other than ourselves a smile and hope for some vestige of civilization other than the narrow confines of their spiritual materialism.

I came into the club when the rides were perhaps the most cogent socializing aspect of the club and members old and new mingled and then rode together. In a group riding situation you are banking your bike, your skin and perhaps your life on the riding skills and street morals of other people. A bond develops quickly and it's real. We won't ride with people who refuse to get it.

For people with new, modern scooters, I'm not sure why there would be any desire or need for a club. The exception to this would be the group rides. You can just go ride and enjoy the scenery.

On the other hand we VINTAGE SCOOTERISTS really do NEED a club. Breakdowns and repairs are fairly common and frustrating. Parts and repair technology can be super hard to find (especially trying to find another pair of hands or eyes to guide you). People here care. We like and appreciate things made out of steel, rubber, and leather. We like the blue smoke.

Modern MC shops are CLUELESS about vintage, they don't even want to know about old machines, they mostly want to encourage you to get rid of it and CONSUME something new, more expensive, bigger, and dumber. Anybody with a credit card can do that which is also their right.

If it were not for this club I would not be able to ride and enjoy my vintage scooters. Period. So many here have been incredibly generous and patient with their time, expertise and energy and I am one of the lucky ones who got it. I'm riding now because I was a recipient of this gift of kindness from this community. I won't ever forget it either.

Mojo Willy
G O D
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:10 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS WOJO MILLY IS TALKING ABOUT.

I'M IN IT FOR THE BABES.
kennylibido
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

G O D wrote:
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS WOJO MILLY IS TALKING ABOUT.

I'M IN IT FOR THE BABES.

Oh no you di-int, girlfriend! Mojo Willy IS D O G.