minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  H E L P ! ! !
jsyx
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:14 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yesterday evening I went to hop on my scoot and go to a house-warming party in Robbinsdale and i noticed a basketball sized spot of gas under my gearbox. WTF!!! I knew what it was before i even got the cowl off. Like many other stella owners, my gas line had fallen off of the banjo as a result of cheap little metal wires holding it on. So, thinking it would be easier to get the hose back on w/o a new band clamp (which i should have replaced from the start), I removed the electric start and pulled off the whole banjo. Now here's where i think i did the damage: When i removed the banjo, I pullled on the gas line a bit to give it a bit more surface area to seal around the union. I clamped those crappy paper clip things back on, and reassembled the banjo bolt, union and gasket. Now, I don't think i tightened that banjo bolt too much, but now i have a gas leak, and i think i may have warped the float cover ass'y. I took me three hours to cheat my idle/lowspeed jets enough to get the bike to stay running, just enough to get me home(NE to Uptown). The gas wasn't pooling at the bottom of the carb, and nothing was coming out of the lowspeed mixture hole but i could smell how rich it was. I also had to remove the airbox lid and speed up the idle jet so i could burn off the extra gas and keep it at idle. MYSTERIOUS FACT 1: The bike had much less trouble staying alive when i put the tap on the RESERVE. I don't know how the fuel lines connect to the tank, but i think that I either:
A: Pulled the fuel line off the gas tank.
B: warped the float bowl cover when i reattached the banjo union.
C: need to replace the banjo gasket.
D: need a new fuel tap?

I know this is a lot of info, but I thoght someone might be able to isolate the problem better than me, as i have never pulled out a gas tank because i've heard it's a pain in the ass and a two man job.
Stella is my only mode of transportation, besides my bicycle and i ride it EVERYWHERE! If anyone has any tips or revelations please repost or PM me.
Thanks-
Josh

Matty
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:15 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

jsyx wrote:
When i removed the banjo, I pullled on the gas line a bit to give it a bit more surface area to seal around the union. I clamped those crappy paper clip things back on, and reassembled the banjo bolt, union and gasket. Now, I don't think i tightened that banjo bolt too much,
A: Pulled the fuel line off the gas tank.
B: warped the float bowl cover when i reattached the banjo union.
C: need to replace the banjo gasket.
D: need a new fuel tap?

When did you do all this? are you sure you have the banjo on tight enough and remember to put the gasket on? Could you tell where the gas leaked from? the body or from the carb box?

A: maybe or loose enough to leak
B: doubt it but you never know
C: are you sure you put the gasket back on?
D: doubt it

-Matt
jsyx
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:13 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

i did it last night, mostly in the dark. i could tell that the gas was coming from the carb box, but in the dark, it was hard to see if it was the hose, banjo, etc...
anyway, this afternoon i replaced the clamp on the fuel line and put my idle @ 2 1/2 and my mixture screw at 3 turns (w160/E3/105). Started it up and it was super rich so i knocked the mixture down a half turn. then it mostly stopped smoking. Now it's raining so i can't do a proper plug chop. Does anyone think this sounds about right?
NOTE: IF YOU OWN A STELLA, THIS WILL EVENTUALLY HAPPEN TO YOU!!!
REPLACE THE FUEL LINE CLIPS! ITS CHEAP AND EASY!

My Pal Foot Foot
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:30 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

jsyx-
Genuine started putting real clamps (screw type) starting in I think 2004, and every stella that goes through SV that doesn't have one gets it. Sorry yours slipped through the cracks. Matty is right, I doubt that you warped anyting on the carb, there are two gaskets on the banjo, one on the union and one next to the screw. The one on the union slips off very easily check that again.
jsyx
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:09 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

SV must only replace it if they do carb work, 'cos my bike's been there plenty btween myself and the previous owner and it was still there...no offense intended.
Anyway, two gaskets huh? I vaguely remember one under the screw now that you mention it, and i'm not sure if it's there now or not, i'll check tonight, however, i did replace the clamp yesterday and it doesn't seem to be leaking but i haven't really ridden it (weather).
thanks for the tip foot foot.

On a side note: without the carb box lid on, and gas floating around all over the carb, if you dial in your idle/mixture screw just right, you can make that carb friggin' roar!! My bike WAS NOT working properly on the way home saturday night, but DAMN! was it quick on the high end. I think that little 20/20 can really kick it out if you don't mind holing your piston!! ;)

Jeff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:14 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

That other gasket most likely fell down into the carb box. It's probably still hiding down there somewhere.