minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  2nd Pink Scooter Down - Now with Pictures (see pg 2)!
Sprocketjones
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:25 am  Reply with quote
Permit

So after the lovely ride to Wayzata led by Kent yesterday I was making my normal commute on France ave this morning and just as I was cresting the hill 2 blocks before 62 I felt the back tire go flat. Ironically, I had just checked tire pressure after our ride yesterday - so I'm not sure what happened. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't get the fishtailing under control and dumped my pretty pink scooter in the middle of France Ave.

I didn't see much of the scoot because a nice guy from the house I crashed in front of pulled it off the road. The guy in the car behind me helped me get my purse out of the glovebox and apparently another concerned motorist had called 911 because both EMTs and the Edina PD were on scene in less than 5 minutes.

I do know that the fender was dented, the right front leg trim was scratched and the right cowl was pretty scratched.

As for me...
Road Rash on both hands and wrists - I will not think twice about putting and keeping my gloves on - I had taken them out and put them back this morning thinking that it was 'warm enough'
My right knee and right arm are pretty raw - having an ER nurse scrubbing your road rash at the beginning of her shift is a blessing - she was pretty kind. Finally, my right knee sprained to the point that I'm in an immobilizer. No broken bones, no torn ligaments at this point - just that wobbly knee thing that makes me walk like a drunk Jerry Lee Lewis. I kind of felt like I was disappointing the Ortho guy when he was moving my leg around and I wasn't writhing in pain or yowling like a baby. He looked like he was ready for some action and unfortunately I didn't provide. :)

Thank God for the full face helmet, I know I bonked twice and I'm pretty sure the second time would have face planted me into the curb. The Edina PD said that the helmet looked pretty rough and thanked me for wearing it, as did one EMT. The other one looked pretty winded from hauling me into the ambulance.

So, a very eventful way to start the morning. I wish I would have been lucid enough to make a note of the guy in the car behind me... he was super calm and ready to drive me to the ER. Probably would have save some dough if we would have! The kindest guy is the one who's house I crashed in front of. He pulled my my pink scoot off the road, agreed to take the Healthy Choice frozen meal out of the glovebox so it's not full of goo and just told me on the phone that he has a trailer and can help me get the Scooter over to Scooterville.

If you're gonna go down - those are the kind of people to have around.

Last edited by Sprocketjones on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:19 am; edited 3 times in total

My Pal Foot Foot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:41 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Sorry to hear about the crash. Hope you heal quickly!
John B.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:42 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

So Sorry to hear your story and so glad your able to tell it. I hope the healing goes fast for you, and your scoot.
Lisa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:46 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Glad you're mostly okay and that you had good folks to help you out. Yet another example of how you can never have too much protection! Hope you heal quickly and get back up and riding soon.
Sprocketjones
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:49 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Thanks for the well wishes - it was nice meeting you, albeit briefly, yesterday Lisa. It was definitely a reminder that long sleeves and long pants are not optional!

mister_p
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:58 am  Reply with quote
Training

Get well soon! Brings up a question. I just read somewhere (I can't seem to find the link where) that someone just introduced a tubeless 10" scooter tire. If this does exist and isn't the results of some dream I had, are the safer, how are they performance-wise and where can you get 'em?

Getting one of those catastophic flats while tooling down Shepard doing 55 makes me nervous.
yoyo65
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm so sorry to hear what happened. But I'm glad there were some nice people to help you out. I hope both you and your scoot get well soon.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:28 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I am so sorry to hear about your crash! I hope you recover quickly and get back in the saddle as you are really fun to hang with.

Dave
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Sorry about the accident - most of us on 10" wheels have gotten an unexpected rear flat, and depending on the situation, it can be quite scary. Have a quick recovery, and we'll see you at the TNR when you're ready again!

Mister_p, WRT the tubeless question, the problem isn't tubeless tires - technically, just about all the tires on the market are tubeless (including the standard Zippy 3). The problem is the rims - any splittable rims require tubes. If you switch to tubeless rims (which do exist) you'll have a bitch of a time getting the tires on and off the rims, which for all intents and purposes means you'll have to have pros do it. But yeah, it eliminates the tube-pinch and tube-rub flats. Of course, it introduces the failed-seal flat. I don't think you'd notice a difference in terms of performance, safety, etc.

Stumpy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

That is awfully close to my house, so, if the homeowner can't get your scoot down to S'Ville, just let me know. I know from too much experience exactly how best to fit it in my van.
michelle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:04 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh noooo! You seem to be in good spirits, thankfully. I'm glad you were't knocked around more than you already explained.

Heal quickly & take care of yourself... the scoot will be fine.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spikehead
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:07 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

SJ, sorry to read of your misfortune. If you need assistance with moving the scoot to Scooterville give a shout. Pickup and trailer ready and waiting.

One easy upgrade people can make is to make sure you use natural rubber tubes instead of butyl rubber. They'll cost twice as much (or more), but natural rubber is MUCH less prone to the sudden, total failure following a pinch or puncture than is butyl rubber. On the minus* side, natural rubber will leak-down a bit of pressure over time, so more day to day monitoring is in order.

*Personally, I don't think something that make a rider pay more attention to their bike is a bad thing.

Mike
Jo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:06 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Wow SJ, I'm sorry about your accident but glad you're okay. And I'm glad there were good people around to help you. :-)

Take care of yourself and feel better.

I couldn't make it to Luce (I'm beginning to feel like I might not all summer... arrgh!... too much *#&# going on!). But damn, you were in my neighborhood (almost)! I wish I had listened to my gut telling me to take a break and run into Wayzata to see if you all were passing through. It would be nice to see some scooter faces!
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:44 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thank God you are OK and well enough to type even! You will no doubt be more sore and more freaked tomorrow so allow for that. You'll no doubt replay the whole slow motion thing in your head quite a few times. BUT... now you are really a member of "the club". Things like this remind us all to wear our gear.

Heal well, and we all hope to see you back in the saddle again soon!
Don't forget "we understand".

Mojo willy
UriahB
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:41 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Glad to hear you are okay except for the Jerry Lewis thing. I have heard that you should get a new helmet after any reasonable banging around.

Also I remember as a kid having a bike with solid rubber tires, maybe we could all ride those as long as we didn't mind going real real slow. You could ride on a road of roofing nails with those things.