minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Non-catalyzed Stella Jetting
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:53 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I understand the whole "jetting discussion".

But, I don't get this.

Here we have a couple of - oh how should I say it? - slightly green people. I know Moses is petty out to left field. I am not sure were Jeff is but I think he's out in that field too. And they are not the only ones from that side chucking their "green" pipes into the garbage can in exchange for the illegal ones. Hmmm.

Do as I say, not as I do?

Any words in defense?
Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:58 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Its the evil WEED...oh wait I mean SPEED! It is addictive even for the earthies.
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:04 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey! That only works in Ben's defense. I think.
Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:08 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

If the has green in it.
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

No. You mean if he does not lose his bag.

Dude, I'm so wasted! Listen to this. That was my skull!
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I don't understand what you are trying to say Derrick.

I know how to do a plug chop and I know what my stock slug on my stella looked like so for something as simple as swapping a cat pipe for a non cat pipe on an otherwise totally stock bike I would think that you throw in a couple points higher jet, chop it then try to match the appearance of the original plug as closely as you can. As far as my bike goes it ain't that easy of course. Obviously no two bikes are going to be the same and you will never see me telling someone how to tune their bike after a topend and carb replacement. You will see me telling people what I have done to my bike and how it is working for me and that's about it.

The world is full of people who inspite of the fact that they don't know shit are willing to hold themselves forth as complete experts on any given subject. On the flipside of that are the so called "experts" who do know what they are doing but talk like drunken Zen masters whenever anyone asks a question. Most of the time both camps are equally useless.

So like Scylla and Charbdis I have tried to navigate through both kinds of bad information and found real valuble information on properly tuning a scooter to be pretty damn rare. As a result there are a hell of a lot of people riding on poorly tuned scooters, myself included. I don't know much but when I see someone getting obviously bad information I try to break the dumbass cycle. It would help if more people spoke out like that IMHO.

JJ
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:37 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Jeff. I'm sorry. I'm not questioning your's or Mose's tuning skills. I was just relating my experience with scooter modification and kitting.

The last part was not very clear. I was trying to poke fun at you guys for tossing your eco friendly exhausts.

Egan was twisting it futher by insinuating that enviromentalists smoke pot! I said that was unlikely. Except in Ben's case thus, negating his accountablity for his actions.
Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:51 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey NOT all of them. Thats a gross generalization and not nice. You Zen Monster. I'm not worthy/expeirnced enough on many things thats why I TRY not to give advice unless begged, and then I'm usually wrong (suckas)
IMNOTHO.
Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Jeff, I'll be Tiresias and you can be Circe and we'll meet at Thrinacia and warn everyone about the evil stuff. TOGA TOGA TOGA.
Moses
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:12 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
I understand the whole "jetting discussion".

But, I don't get this.

Here we have a couple of - oh how should I say it? - slightly green people. I know Moses is petty out to left field. I am not sure were Jeff is but I think he's out in that field too. And they are not the only ones from that side chucking their "green" pipes into the garbage can in exchange for the illegal ones. Hmmm.

Do as I say, not as I do?

Any words in defense?

Nope. Guilty as charged. I am a horrible, terrible, awful, nasty person. I do get kick-butt fuel economy, though. ;)

In a partial defense -- through the fine art of deflection: How many two-stroke scooters are out there compared to SUVs? How many miles are traveled yearly in each type of vehicle? Two-strokes are being phased out by 2008 (at the furthest out -- which I don't oppose), but is anyone talking about phasing out SUVs?

Moses
Yowling from the Fencepost.
Modern thoughts from a vintage brain. (...or was that the other way around?)
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

How much does your 2 stroke pollute compared to an SUV? Do you know? I know you get better milage.

You better trade in your Stella and get an electric scooter if you want me to take you seriously. Or put your cat. back on. It's not that much faster.

Subjecting the world to PC. Oh ya!

Last edited by Derrick on Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
nate
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:33 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

green = n00b
green = eco-friendly

This would be one of those little moments in a sitcom where we'd all laugh and then it'd freezeframe.

And c'mon, you're a college kid, Moses- "I only killed a couple of people, look at Pol Pot!"
Tsk tsk tsk. (not that I've a leg to stand on, I just like the fact that once you're snared into that logical tarbaby you're pretty much screwed. Unless you sell your scooter and start walking everywhere.)

Too bad the volumes wouldn't match- I'm in need of a new exhaust for the 200. Maybe the exhaust on the 200 is bad enough that even a completely wrongly sized exhaust would help. That'd be an interesting experiment.
SKullman
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:56 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

I've been reading this site and the old crappy one for a year now, I'd like to say they sux., you people are mean and are usually very uninviting for new scooterist.

anyway, total amount of pollutants from a un catalyzed scooter is bucket loads less than the average SUV. The way that the EPA measure is totally biased to the SUV. They don't take into account that the SUV is blowing many cubic meters more exhaust than our scooters. So even though a new SUV is "cleaner" the total amount of bad stuff is still far greater when burning through a gallon every 9-10 miles vs. a scooters 70-90 miles.

2-strokes are far from dead, I've been riding Snowmobiles for 30 years and have followed the technology closely.

Did you know that BPR group now has a 2009 certified "clean" 2-stroke! http://www.ski-doo.com/BRPHtml/Techno/en/RotaxEngines/2.Tec.2BetterThan4.aspx

thanks.

nate
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Sure, but if you're ragging on SUVs, it's tough to justify making your green vehicle LESS Green in the process, no? Sure, it's still not as bad as an SUV, but you're admitting that there is a certain undeniable lust for raw power deep within the psyche. And power leads to envy, envy leads to oversized vehicles, and we all know where that leads to. Lying by the side of a volcano, with no legs.
fnirt
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:55 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

(Quite possibly the first Scooter thread EVER to reference "Scylla and Charybdis". Sweet.)

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger