minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Hybrid Scooter
UriahB
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:44 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The hybrid scooter can be powered by hydrogren. Flip flops not included.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/060726_hybrid_scooter.html

yeah, yeah, but front wheel drive?
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

HYBRID scooters are nothing new to the Regulars. We built mine over 2 years ago from scrap Lammy and Hondy parts.

The only difference is that mine is ATOMIC powered using some depleted uranium bullet fragments a late friend of mine picked up over in Eye-Rack and some spent fuel rods another friend plucked from the dumpster over at the Monticello plant. What's neat about my REAL Fireball is how your twig and bits light up at night after you rode it. You do get a funny rash though if you ride it too much, but, of course, that's true of anything you ride too much. So there.

Mojo Willy
Brad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

This isn't a hybrid - it's a battery powered minibike. And it uses Li-Ion batteries.

"Battery companies trying to create larger lithium batteries, which use cobalt in their formula, quickly encounter a problem known as thermal runaway—which means the batteries can easily catch fire or explode."

yeah, I'd like to be seated on that.

The front wheel electic drive is kind of interesting though. I wonder what that feels like around a corner.

http://www.hybridcars.com/lithium-ion-hybrid-batteries.html

Derrick
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:18 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I recently heard that some hybrid cars like the Prius actually are harder on the environment then big SUVs. I guess someone did a "dust to dust" or life cycle study that supposedly included all costs.

Any of you greenies want to comment?

I was also watching some house remodeling show and the home owners were going on and on about bamboo flooring being "renewable". They didn't want to use real wood. What's up with that? Don't they grow trees anymore? I know bamboo grows faster but are trees really endangered? They also wanted to use recycled tiling but they cost 2 to 3 times more then the regular ones.

I guess I just wish people would get it right before they start preaching about what's best for the environment.
Brooke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

[quote="Derrick"]I recently heard that some hybrid cars like the Prius actually are harder on the environment then big SUVs. I guess someone did a "dust to dust" or life cycle study that supposedly included all costs.

Any of you greenies want to comment?
quote]

My lust for 2 stroke smoke wouldn't qualify me as a greenie but I wouldn't doubt such information. But that doesn't make big SUVs use any less gas. Just because the latest hybrid aren't the best ideas, it doesn't mean that gas guzzling SUVs are a good idea, by any stretch of the imagination. Hybrids have to start somewhere. Manufacturers can't wait until the technology is perfect or they'll never start. As 2 wrongs don't make a right, 2 environmentally unsound cars just make for 2 more myopic drivers.

Now it's your pals at exxon that keep the fuel efficiency down. In 1986 GM had a bitchin' 3.8 liter motor that got 30+ mpg and hauled ass. Somehow it disappeared. Now the contemporary models brag about 24 mpg highway (dreamin').
Derrick
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:52 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I don't have any pals at Exxon and I don't think SUV's are a good idea.

I just don't like it when people except some hype about something being "environmental" and then preach about it's virtues without being a little more skeptical.

I think Toyota knows that they have had a ready and willing market in greenies who want to believe. Plus, the media has pushed the hype too. However, I've always been skeptical that hybrids are better for the environment. I'm just tired of getting the lecture from greenie know it alls. This does more harm then good for the environmental movement.

I think Prius owners just got a back fire in their faces. Of course they will say the study is flawed for some reason or other.
John B.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:22 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I did hear a good story from a pirus owner getting away from katrina about passing all the cars out of gas on the side of the highway.
scootervillain
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:38 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Wow. I just noticed that I arrived at Derrick's house only minutes after his post today. I then received a sting from a hornet (or was it a WASP?) in his backyard. It was one of those where the stinger is still hanging out of your flesh. Derrick got me a tweezer and I pulled the stinger out. No shots of adreneline needed (spelling okay, monkey?).
On an ashes to ashes basis are those greens creating more havoc than the Hummer and Excursion crowd? Only time will tell. I believe good intentions count for something. I'd rather have a forest of wind turbines darkening my toast and cooling my house than a coal plant.
I do and always have and always will love my two stroke scooters. But the best bike you can buy today IS a 4 stroke.
Hands down, the coolest scooter anyone in town could own today is Derrick's MV Augusta Chicco. It will play hell for you if it ever needs a part. But there is not a more interesting scooter in town.

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:01 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
I recently heard that some hybrid cars like the Prius actually are harder on the environment then big SUVs. I guess someone did a "dust to dust" or life cycle study that supposedly included all costs.

Yeah, I've heard that too. I don't know if they're worse than SUVs, but they're certainly worse than economical non-hybrid cars of similar size, such as the Civic or Corolla. Those cars can both do better than 40 mpg without batteries.

One life-cycle problem with hybrids is all the nasty chemical processes used to make the mat of batteries. Another is all those same chemical leeching into the soil while sitting in a landfill at end of life. Furthermore, I know a lot of greens who argue that buying an old car, even one that gets bad gas mileage and is "bad for the environment", is environmentally more responsible because it avoids the manufacture of another new car.

The truth is, no matter how much better for the environment new cars are once they're in use, the process of making them is much harder on the environment than the added pollution of, say, another ten years of use of an old 1980s Buick. Also, using that Buick for another ten years keeps that Buick out of a dump for ten years. Manufacturing and dumping of cars are each much harder on the environment than anything that even the worst cars will do in the course of their use.

I know some environmental facts, as mentioned above, but I'm not a green - I buy a new car every five years, I have a two-stroke scooter that *both* was manufactured new just two years ago *and* pollutes as bad as the ones twenty-five years ago.

And everybody should see the South Park episode with the clouds of smug surrounding San Francisco from all the hybrid cars...

e-man
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:01 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Can someone actually quote a source rather than just say "I heard". I hear a lot of crap every day, but it don't make it the truth.
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:53 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm sure someone could find the source with a little effort.

e-man said:
"I hear a lot of crap every day, but it don't make it the truth"

My point exactly!
UriahB
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brad wrote:
This isn't a hybrid

Actually I thought the story did talk about regenerative braking. What they didn't have was the real hydrogen engine. Yes, sitting on a tank of hydrogren surrounded by batteries that occasionally catch fire in laptops etc doesn't seem like the best idea...