minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  sad sight downtown
b.a.baracus
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:13 pm  Reply with quote
Training

I just walked past a blue ET locked to a bicycle post and parked on the sidewalk outside of the downtown Target. It's parked there all the time. But today it had a horrible red-striped envelope under the seat strap! I don't know if it's some kind of ticketing crackdown or just an isolated incident, but this is my first exposure to scooter ticketing, so I thought I'd tell any downtown sidewalk parkers to beware.

On a happier note, I saw a beautiful red and cream-colored vintage Vespa parked outside the Riverview Cafe yesterday. I would've taken a closer look had I not been so eager to get into the air-conditioned Riverview Theater.

UriahB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:08 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Well, I have seen some companies use the red stripe on promotional material, "Start your own insurance company!" just to get your attention. Of course it's not the kind of attention their going to want, but maybe the ET just got flyered.
mister_p
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:43 pm  Reply with quote
Training

I saw a 150cc scoot (forget what) on the sidewalk in downtown St. Paul a few weeks back. It too had the red-stripe of shame sticking out from the handlebars. So watch where you park.

willnsisu
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:46 am  Reply with quote
Noob

I have been scootering here in Mpls. since 1989, and have had a number of experiences with law enforcement (parking enforcers, Mpls. cops, St. Paul cops, Deputies) regarding this issue. Much of this revolves around the perception of whether we're looking at a lil' scooter/ moped, or a motorcycle.

In years past, I used to get tickets for discretely parking my GS on the sidewalk like it was a bicycle. Now there seems to be a sliding- a greater allowance- for that sort of thing- on both sides- riderers and enforcers. I'm even seeing new twist-n-go's on bike paths. (now #that#pisses me off)

Perceptions are still a mixed bag; I recently asked a meter maid in Dinkytown (in front of the kitty kat klub) about this very thing, and she said to park my scooter (62 Vespa GS) on the sidewalk- this way, she said, I wouldn't have to worry about getting a ticket or plugging the meter. That contradicts my past experiences. Other officers might see it differently and give me the prize.

Judge for yourself, but the only certain way to avoid a ticket is to treat your scooter as if it were a motorcyle, and park it accordingly.

Will

willnsisu
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:50 am  Reply with quote
Noob

By the way, thank you for the compliment on my humble scooter. That was me at the Riverview. Please say hello next time.

Will

EvilScooterKitty
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:04 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

My experience has shown a geographical bias in enforcement. I often have to park my Stella in downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul and I've had tickets (admitedly deserved) in both. Now I park "legally" in both downtowns. In Uptown Minneapolis I've never had a ticket and I admit to taking liberties with the law. At the Uptown Art Fair, I pulled up to the bike rack by the YWCA and was actually "waved in" by a cop.

Maybe in the eyes of parking enforcement, scooters "belong" in places like Uptown, but just another vehicle in the downtowns???

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:03 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

At the U it's great - practically no enforcement. I'm now one of those assholes who parks his scooter on the plazas in the bike racks. But away from the U I always park like a car.

some_dude
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:30 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom Lindsay wrote:
At the U it's great - practically no enforcement.

Whatever happened to the abandoned scooter at the U?
cernunnus
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:07 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

In a co-workers experience (with my old 50CC) you can successfully challenge the ticket with a moped-class scooter.