minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  title and license for old vespa
scootzilla
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:45 am  Reply with quote
Training

what's the best way to approach this?
theoritecally, if one didn't have a title or plate for his scoot would he have an easier time if he:
a.) had a bill of sale from the seller
or
b.) had received the scooter in his grandpa's estate. he knows that his grandpa bought the scooter new and it never had any other owners until now...

please advise.
Thanks,
adam
willnsisu
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:26 am  Reply with quote
Noob

1. Find a friendly, helpful deputy registrar (A small town is best vs. Hennepin County) It's worth the effort to go to a small town. Almost certainly there are nice, helpful registrars here in the metropolitan area, but this has worked for me.

2. Obtain from her a "statement of facts" (I believe now you can get one via a website -PDF file) fill it out where you:

list the frame # and the engine#.
in an efficient paragraph, state that yes, this scooter came from your Grandpa, and to your knowledge, it's never been titled, and now you want a title/ license plate to ride it legally. Do not say that it's been repainted or altered. Say that it's original.
Attach pictures: front, side. For authenticity take detail shots of the engine # and the frame #.
3. Turn this in to the helpful lady at the counter, and ask her how much to write the check. There are a couple of extra fees that will be added (State Patrol vehicle fee, etc)

All of this shows that you are making an honest effort to establish, for the first time, an official record of this scooter.

The bill of sale route starts a trail that asks for further documentation, and takes you further away from your goal.

I've done this on several old scooters.

scootzilla
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:33 am  Reply with quote
Training

thanks will.
scootzilla
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:41 am  Reply with quote
Training

here are the online forms.
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/PDFForms/DVSFormFrame.htm

i assume i would start with the 2000 application for title.
but,
i don't see the 'statement of facts' form you referred to...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:57 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I know you said a small town, willnsisu, but bar none the best title/license place in town it the one just north of County Road C on Lexington. They are fast and friendly, and will help you with any weird requests you have.

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jeff
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:58 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I have had pretty good luck at the golden valley city hall. They know how to get creative, and it usually isn't that busy.
Brooke
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:52 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Jeff wrote:
I have had pretty good luck at the golden valley city hall. They know how to get creative, and it usually isn't that busy.

I'd agree with both those and the Robbinsdale city hall. Just make sure you have your crap together. That's the biggest deal. The roseville one is very pro and the lines move fast. Mostly the DMVs that will give you trouble is someone who doesn't know their head from their ass and you're better off just coming back another time, or ones that have a good bullshit detectors and know when you are just making shit up. I've seen the roseville office send people away in tears but they do it in about a minute and they tell you exactly what you need to do, then call the next number.