minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Polluter Scooters - ouch
Moses
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oops... I almost forgot the Texas Longhorn horns mounted on the headset. If not that, maybe a jackalope.

Moses
Yowling from the Fencepost.
Modern thoughts from a vintage brain. (...or was that the other way around?)
Corey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:36 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

n8murphy, where are you?

Harvey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:55 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Because a gallon of gas weighs about six pounds. I don't know what a quart of oil weighs but those would only figure in at the time of oil changes for the SUV and in fractions of an ounce for use in a two stroke.

So lets say your scooter burns a gallon of gas every 70 miles. That's six (let's not count it as burnt fuel emissions in the air because those figures are beyond me) pounds.

An SUV might get roughly eighteen miles per gallon. That's almost four gallons of fuel (18mpg X 4gallons =72 mpg-per the scooter) or 24 pounds of fuel.

Therefore, not figuring in the cost of producing/delivery/etc, and not counting that with less oil being used, demand decreases which also has the effect of lowering the overall price...

...burning 24 POUNDS of material resources versus 1 pound makes scooters more damaging to the environment???

I think the person who wrote that probably thinks Mac trucks are just unprepped SUV's.

Harv
cernunnus
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

To be fair, a similar study compared hydrocarbon emission per mile, removing efficiecy from the final result. However, they had not actually tested 2-cycle engines form modern scootes with catalytic silencers, but used other 2-cycle engine tests (such as chain saw, etc.( as a baseline. Don't know if the results posted are similarly flawed.

GP Kevo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:28 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

There's a strong anti 2 stroke bias brewing up, and it's being fueled (no pun intended) by reports such as these and by the cessation of 2 stroke production. There are 2 stroke engines that are cleaner than comparable 4 stroke engines. Have a look at the new Evinrude 2 stroke outboard marine engine. Have a look at the Aprilia Di-Tech engine which unfortunately never made it to production. Condemning an entire class of internal cumbustion engine as polluting is not based on reason. Individual vehicle models must be tested, and yes, those tests should take into account engine displacement, vehicle fuel economy, and vehicle weight, and the resultant tire dust that all vehicles emit.

This report is being used to restrict scooter and moped parking at the UW-Madison. The campus police department has produced a brochure that informs students that one moped pollutes as much as "several cars". They even claim that 4 stroke scooters are highly polluting. It encourages students to either ride a bicycle (which I think more should), but for those that need to get from one end of the 8 1/2 mile long campus to the other for their next class, they are implying they'd rather have the students drive cars than mopeds or scooters.

Brooke
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:32 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The ditech did go into production. It was in the last models of the aprilia sr50 and the scarabeo. They were kinda quirky and didn't like the cold. Now that Piaggio bought Aprilia they've started to use their purejet direct inject system in the SR50. I don't know if they still do the scab 50. While the potential of fuel injected 2 strokes seems amazing from a performance standpoint I think even the better Piaggio direct injects are 90% of their naturally aspirated brethren. They even make kits to retrofit carbs into the purejet for increased ability for performance mods.

Those evinrude infomercials are cool. 1200cc 4 cylinder 2strokes making 60 horsepower. I wonder if boat HP is measured differently. But it seems like they've really done the research with them and a lot of testing. It almost seems too good to be true and they should be in cars as well.

Just remember, gumdrops and perfume don't drop out of the tailpipe of 4 strokes. The major greenhouse gas is CO2 and it's directly related to the amount of fuel burned. So a 4 stroke getting 80 mpg and a 2 stroke getting 80 mpg should be emitting the same of the worst stuff. Also, while changing oil in a dozen or so scooters over the last week that the crank case oil in a 4 stroke is a substantial volume. I wonder what happens to all of that? I heard it gets burned as well. I guess environmental consciousness is only relavent when a person has to witness it. Kinda funny how that's like eating meat. I'd hate to kill pigs all day but I sure do love bacon.

GP Kevo wrote:
There's a strong anti 2 stroke bias brewing up, and it's being fueled (no pun intended) by reports such as these and by the cessation of 2 stroke production. There are 2 stroke engines that are cleaner than comparable 4 stroke engines. Have a look at the new Evinrude 2 stroke outboard marine engine. Have a look at the Aprilia Di-Tech engine which unfortunately never made it to production. Condemning an entire class of internal cumbustion engine as polluting is not based on reason. Individual vehicle models must be tested, and yes, those tests should take into account engine displacement, vehicle fuel economy, and vehicle weight, and the resultant tire dust that all vehicles emit.

This report is being used to restrict scooter and moped parking at the UW-Madison. The campus police department has produced a brochure that informs students that one moped pollutes as much as "several cars". They even claim that 4 stroke scooters are highly polluting. It encourages students to either ride a bicycle (which I think more should), but for those that need to get from one end of the 8 1/2 mile long campus to the other for their next class, they are implying they'd rather have the students drive cars than mopeds or scooters.
John B.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:00 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

all of this green stuff is really slowing down how soon we will have to abondon this planet and live in outer space! The sooner we destroy this planet the sooner we can be flying around in zero gee!