minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Culture under assault
nate
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:06 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I dunno about my secondary argument there. I just started to string together buzzwords.

Of course people in a subculture are going to resent intrusions by the mass culture. That's why subcultures differentiated themselves in the first place. After an incursion, subcultures fracture and try to redifferentiate themselves within themself, attempting to build hierarchies within. It's just sociology textbooks. That's totally what's going on here. And we know the obvious hierarchy within the scooter world- everybody with a GS is the coolest, everybody with a pre P-series vespa or non-indian lammy is pretty cool, everybody with a P is a utilitarian hipster, people with stellas are wanna be hipsters, and people with tupperware... why do we even bother?

But again, my original point was just "in two days, the strib has covered two topics that my friends tend to have a lot invested in." Add in some other various articles that have appeared recently, and I'm facing the fact that not only am I a middle aged dad, I'm a middle aged dad that's no longer 'different', but in fact smack dab in the middle of normalcy.

Shall we take odds on the next couple of articles that are coming out in the Strib? Video Games as cultural perspective? The fourth/fifth/whatever wave of ska? This just in: Breathing is where it's at?
jsyx
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

but by expressing an opposition, you are embracing and perpetuating it's existence. sad but true.
you know chiaroscuro, yin-yang and all that hippie shit...

p.s.-people have been bashing the media for a lot longer than scooters have been around.

p.p.s.-consider the difference between 'hating' and not believing hype.

jsyx
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:13 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

p.p.p.s.- you wanna see normalcy, go to Maple Grove. I bet you won't see too many scooters.

fnirt
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:17 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Nate, the most important thing to remember is NOT to do things because you're middle aged and you'll do them in an "ironic style" that will make it okay to do them.

Example: I have a ton of friends who started golfing to be the "bad boys" on the links. Dress like crap, drink a lot of beer, suck at golfing, make fun of it. Then instead of sharing one club for the whole game, they got their own clubs. And started trying to get better. And then being more respectful. Before you know it, they're actual golfers.

Same goes for wearing cardigans, bowling, gardening, watching Jay Leno, riding Harley Davidsons, or buying Pepsi.

Not that you'd do any of that..

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John B.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:59 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Nate your still weird and your kids won't think your cool no matter what your into.
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:41 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

next thing you know punk rock will be huge, could you imagine if every mall in the country had a shop to make you an instant punker? oh wait....

-Matt
Ritchie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:51 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Greenday!
jsyx
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

what's punk? who's green day?
i'm sorry, i've been riding my scooter all day...

Brad
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:51 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Greenday? We're all old farts who are weird - at least that's what my 13 year old tells me (with a smile, like he's in some sort of a secret teen society that tolerates parents like I tolerate my great aunt who has Alzheimer’s).

I just keep thinking that he'll have a kids and a mortgage someday. It's all payback after your mid-twenties.

Screw popular culture. Do what you want, as long as no one gets hurt it's all good.

oooommmm.....

jsyx
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:19 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

mid-twenties???
dammit.

i think we can all agree on screwing pop culture...
and riding scooters,

...and beer.

Ritchie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:24 am  Reply with quote
Permit

I think Brad's 13 year old sums it up perfectly.I hadn't ever really considered myself middle aged until I went to see "Stiff Little Fingers",last year.A band I idolised at Brad's son age.As i stood watching the only origional member of the band croon out the old favourites a young gutter punk asked me what I thought of the band,to which I replied "they've changed".He looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and asked when I had last seen them.After useing all available digits I concluded much to my horror that it had been at least 20 YEARS! At this point I went to the bar and ordered a double and tried to console myelf.Next morning I awoke with a very middle aged hangover.
Egan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:05 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah those reunion gigs really age a guy. I always think of myself as a twenty-something goof. When a 30 year old calls me sir or my daughters friends think I'm grandpa, it stings. But age as beauty is all in the beholder, that said I think I'm one fine young mutha funker!
Matty
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:28 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Egan wrote:
d I think I'm one fine young mutha funker!

so sad when Alzheimer's sets in......

-Matt
Becky W.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:46 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Interesting thread. A little obvious, but observant - the whole trickle-down/bubble-up theory of pop culture applies in so many situations these days. it's easy to make it into a heavily analytical, complicated commentary on culture in general, but I think many of the things Nate brought up have more to do with just progress/growing up. But still, it never ceases to freak me out when I see things that I once considered alternatives to mainstream culture *become* mainstream culture! But the older I get, the less bitter I am about it. Sadly accepting, but way less bitter. Like, I'm bummed that the Clash's "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" has kind of been ruined for me after hearing it on car commercials so many times, and don't even get me started on what I think scootering culture's become!

Anyone see this on the BBS, recently supplanted by Minn-Max?

http://www.scooterbbs.com/board/DCForumID1/38676.html

"I think Pringles initial intention was to make tennis
balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to
show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But
Pringles is a laid back company. They said "Fuck it.
Cut em up."
Adam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:42 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Becky W. wrote:
...Anyone see this on the BBS, recently supplanted by Minn-Max?

Supplanted? As in "to usurp the place of, especially through intrigue or underhanded tactics"?

I was just posting to the BBS to provide another perspective and contribute to the discussion. Certainly nothing underhanded, nor intended to diminish another's opinion or take over the thread. I even signed it and provided links to both The Regulars and Minn-Max's websites.

Did I misconstrue your meaning, Becky?