minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  pioneer press this a.m.
mokele mbembe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:04 am  Reply with quote
Permit

That there article sure is funnyest one! Worst writing I see in longest time most crap author......Did this originally appear in a junior high newspaper?

Brad
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:43 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Matty wrote:

Of 'A' new club I guess. Maybe we'll have to rumble..

Oooo... this is getting better than watching Desparate Housewives, except less eye candy. Wait, that's a plastic analogy.

OK, Sharks and the Jets.

Egan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:46 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Ya, u ain't seen those modcons in aprons yet tho.

Sam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:27 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Quote:

That's because it wasn't a news story, it was a lifestyle piece.

Man I sure feel belittled by driving a small frame if it's all about lifestyle...

They were both good artices though, but where is the classic picture of thick blue smoke when we all started the 2-strokes?
GP Kevo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:47 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Hi everyone up dere. Didn't know my login was still active so I surfed over an d had read of the Pioneer Press article.

It was fairly well written 'though the anorak that I am would remind the writer that Jimmy rides a Li 150 in the movie, but he rides a GS in the LP.

I think it's healthy that the Twin Cities is getting more scooter clubs. And I can understand those who bemoan the dilution of the subculture that has been Scootering. Back when I first moved up to Minneapolis, there was only The Pacesetters, who were a very active club that I met at the first MADASS rally in Madison, Wiscosnsin. The whole club rode down for the weekend, all of them on vintage Vespas. Others rode in on Vespas and Lambrettas from Milwaukee, Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit, Toronto, Cincinatti, and a few clubs from NYC and DC (in vans, if memory serves). These were small rallies by California or British standards, but not small by midwest standards; the scooters numbered around 125 the first year and over 150 our second year.

The Pacesetters hosted a number of rallies as well, all with a campsite as rally headquarters, like the MADASS runs. So the scooters and scooterists were together the entire weekend, instead of keeping to small groups staying over in houses across the city.

There were current production modern automatic scooters at the time from Honda and Yamaha, but none were at the rallies. The scooter scene was about vintage scooters; Vespa and Lambretta (including Serveta and SIL) mainly, with the odd Bajaj vespa clone, and the occasional Heinkel, Jawa, Maicoletta, etc. Anyone at the time could walk into a motorcycle dealership and buy a brand new Honda Elite or Helix, or Yamaha Riva. But that wasn't what the scooter scene was about. Scootering wasn't only about convenience and fuel economy, although that was part of it. It wasn't only about being a Mod, or Skinhead, or Scooterboy, 'though that was a part of it. It wasn't only about tuning or racing, although that's where my main interests are. It was about being a part of an international subculture, originated in Britain, with knowledge and respect for the past and the roots of Scootering. It had more in common with the Walnecks Classic Cycle reading crowd than it did with riders of brand new Honda or Yamaha scooters or modern motorcycles.

So the reporter picked up on that, and while I applaud anyone who uses two wheeled transport of any kind, from bicycle to large motorcycles, I'm glad to hear there's a new club in town, with an appreciation for the vintage machines and the subculture that often went with them.

When I lived in Southern California there were more than a few scooter clubs I rode with weekly. There's always room for more clubs, especially in the Twin Cities.