minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Culture under assault
Egan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:43 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Well, all you own is your scooter and opinions and people can like or dislike both. I think Adams post was an interesting viewpoint, although if the Minn-max group arent really interested in the vintage bikes why do they post about them so much? This stuff is weird are there things people REALLY want to say about stuff or is this just a polite way of being catty. I have said before that I really am not interested in Maxies, they can have their long rides on the DQ tour and thats fine, its funny that they should give a flip about other scooters.

I think anything by the Clash (the whole band) after Sandinista! sucked. Strummer and Jones have done some cool solo stuff though.
Becky W.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:18 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Holy crap Minn-Max dude, chill the fuck OUT!

I wish I had the time to consult the dictionary every time I thought there might be an opportunity to misconstrue something. I meant "supplant" as in you "added to" and/or "contributed to" the conversation. NOTHING MORE! Maybe I should have used "supplemented" instead. O woe. Now I have to watch myself around the Helix riders too? Man, have TC scooterists become a tuff crowd. I prefer the days when scooter riders were "pussies" and "fags" and "PeeWee Herman"!

Last edited by Becky W. on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

"I think Pringles initial intention was to make tennis
balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to
show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But
Pringles is a laid back company. They said "Fuck it.
Cut em up."
Jeff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:18 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Whoa! Talk about catty! Combat Rock was awesome. Atom Tan? Know Your rights? Car Jamming. That does NOT suck, not by any measure.
Becky W.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:20 pm  Reply with quote
Training

IT'S NOT COCA-COLA, IT'S RICE

Cut em up."
jsyx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
I think many of the things Nate brought up have more to do with just progress/growing up.

IMHO, age/"growing up" should bring wisdom, and wisdom should bring tolerance. I don't know if anybody in this thread (myself included) has expressed the latter.

Quote:
But the older I get, the less bitter I am about it. Sadly accepting, but way less bitter.

obviously doesn't hold true to everyone...

Quote:
I'm bummed that the Clash's "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" has kind of been ruined for me after hearing it on car commercials so many times, and don't even get me started on what I think scootering culture's become!

SERIOUSLY!!! This takes me back to what i said earlier...
SCOOTERS AND PUNK ROCK HAVE BEEN MAINSTREAM FOR AT LEAST TEN YEARS NOW!!!!!!! GET OVER IT!!! IT"S UP TO PEOPLE WHO TRULY UNDERSTAND THESE THINGS TO KEEP THEM FRESH AND ALIVE...who gives a f#^k what's popular. Nobody on this board was at CBGB's in '76 and nobody was in Milan in the 60's.
From what i understand, it can be frustrating to grow older...but it's not the next generations fault if they contextualize and MODERNIZE their interests!

which raises another topic: What generation is more responsible for this affront to scooter culture...
-the young people who don't know things because they're green, or
-older people who are jumping on the bandwagon to try and act young/flash expensive toys.

p.s.-man, i'm probably gonna get chastised for all of this argument-mongering...;)
oh well, that's what kids do... RIGHT EVERYONE.

jsyx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

DADDY WAS A BANK ROBBER, BUT HE'D NEVER HURT NOBODY...

Derrick
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:35 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Adam, as much as you think you understand and know the history of the Regulars, I for one, am sorry to inform you - you don't.

So with that in mind, please do not speak for us or our history. There are others much more qualified then yourself to do that.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:23 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
Adam, as much as you think you understand and know the history of the Regulars, I for one, am sorry to inform you - you don't.

So with that in mind, please do not speak for us or our history. There are others much more qualified then yourself to do that.

Um, did I miss something? Where did he "speak for [The Regulars] or [their] history"? He posted about how the rides are going these days.

How about everybody chill the fuck out and go ride your scooters? I rode mine today and almost got killed by a yellow New Beetle who felt the need to stop suddenly at the end of an entrance ramp! Fucker!
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Becky W.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:44 pm  Reply with quote
Training

I don't consider myself a "Regular" but I can see what Derrick's getting at. Adam posts to the BBS with quite the authoritative tone:

"Third, a monthly vintage only ride has been organized. This seems to have help ease some concerns from the vintage riders about the changes to the scooter scene."

Really? What 'concerns' were these, and how have they been 'eased'? Since he's not a vintage rider, and hasn't been on one of the vintage rides, (and I can't recall ever even meeting this guy, and I'm the vintage ride organizer) where the heck is he getting that from? Thanks for letting the BBS know how us vintage riders are feeling, Adam. Are all Minn-Maxers that telepathic?

"Yet, I've heard non-vintage folks being a little disappointed that they can't go. Guess you can't make everyone happy."

I keep hearing about these "non-vintage folks" and their disappoinment. B-O-O-H-O-O. How many other rides are available to the non-vintage people, between the Regulars Sunday rides, the Tuesday night thing, and *GASP* the possibility they might call each other up and get together to ride any old time. I didn't organize this vintage ride to make "everyone happy" - I did it to make vintage riders happy, and I think it's FUNNY that it would make anyone else upset! Especially someone who doesn't even OWN a vintage scooter! WTF?

"As a fairly open group, The Regulars forum carries chatter about how folks feel about the advance of modern scooterism."

The phrase "fairly open group" is a pretty debatable matter, considering the multiple incarnations of "secret" Regulars message boards that may or may not still exist, and I don't see a whole hell of a lot of chatter here about how "folks feel about the advance of modern scooterism". I see a classifieds, a rally organizing section, an event section, and a general section that's mostly an exchange of goofy shit and shop talk between TC scooter riders. He makes it sound like some kind of highly intellectual, high-minded sociological discourse is going on here. Ha!

And finally,

"However, here the motorcycle is still king and I doubt that is going to change any time soon."

The motorcycle is never "king" in a climate with a riding season of basically 4 months.

So you see, 433. I don't appreciate this un-informed fella speaking for me, the Regulars, or anyone else in a public forum like that. Opinions are great, and so is healthy debate and disagreement (OH NO HOLD ONTO YOUR HATS, PEOPLE MIGHT DISAGREE WITH ONE ANOTHER!) but I don't know how he figures he can speak so expertly about people and things he has NO clue about (like me & the vintage ride).

Phooey,

Cut em up."
Adam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:59 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Taking each post in turn.

Egan wrote:
...I think Adams post was an interesting viewpoint, although if the Minn-max group aren't really interested in the vintage bikes why do they post about them so much? This stuff is weird are there things people REALLY want to say about stuff or is this just a polite way of being catty. I have said before that I really am not interested in Maxies, they can have their long rides on the DQ tour and that's fine, its funny that they should give a flip about other scooters....

Glad you thought it was an interesting viewpoint, Egan. Since I was trying to add to the ScooterBBS discussion, my goal was to give a view from a different perspective. Thanks for taking it as such.

Let me also say, my opinion is just that. When I give it I don't speak for all riders of maxiscooters or even all those who participate on Minn-Max rides. Just me, that's it.

To clarify, I have always loved vintage scooters. Loved them long before I knew there were such thing as vintage and modern. I think vintage scooters have a classic, timeless style. I choose to ride more modern scooters because I prefer less oil smoke and generally greater reliability for less effort. Hence my purchase of the Chetak, which offers much of the classic style, with a more modern engine. Win:win for me.

The "scene" often associate with a segment of scooter society, the sort of counter culture attitude written about in this very thread, never had any big appeal to me. Okay, maybe the mod style of dress does, as I think it looks sharp. However that being said, I have no issue with those who are into that. People enjoy it, that's cool by me.

I do enjoy talking with many people about a variety of things. It is great to hear of other aspects of life that I may not be exposed to daily. That's a big part of why I follow this forum and the various conferences at ScooterBBS. It is also why I like meeting and talking with people at Skooter Du and the various rides I've been on.

My posts are sincere, usually polite, nearly always considerate of others. When I state my opinion, I try to do it with civility and am not trying to be catty. Again, I cannot speak for anyone else, just me, but since you asked, Egan, I answered.

That you are not interested in maxiscooters is fine by me, Egan. Me, I like all kinds of scooters and even some... motorcycles. (gasp!) Seriously, to me its not unlike enjoying different foods or drinks. I may prefer Italian cuisine, but I enjoy Chinese food too. I see it that simply.

As I said in other posts, I just like to ride scooters with other people who like riding scooters.

Becky W. wrote:
Holy crap Minn-Max dude, chill the fuck OUT!

I wish I had the time to consult the dictionary every time I thought there might be an opportunity to misconstrue something. I meant "supplant" as in you "added to" and/or "contributed to" the conversation. NOTHING MORE! Maybe I should have used "supplemented" instead. O woe. Now I have to watch myself around the Helix riders too? Man, have TC scooterists become a tuff crowd...

Umm... I was never hot to need chilling, Becky.

I did, however, take your earlier posting by the literal translation of the words used. Sorry if that meant I misunderstood your intended meaning. The common definition of Supplant does have a fairly strong connotation. That is why I posted stating how it came across and seeking clarification.

Now as for Twin Cities scooterists become a tough crowd that you need to watch yourself around, that's your call. I just misconstrued your meaning. That can happen from time to time for any of us, I suspect.

Derrick wrote:

As another poster here already noted, Derrick, I was just giving my opinion on the ScooterBBS from my perspective based on my observations on how things are today. (Which was what the original post on that thread was asking.) I tried to do so in a manner I thought would contribute to the discussion on that forum. I never claimed to be speaking for anyone but myself.

In fact, I specifically starting off with saying "here's my two-cents" which I would have thought made that clear. I even took care to give people some insight on where I was coming from on the topic, modern scooterist, likes all scoots, not part of the 'scene' as they were defining it. I honestly didn't think that anyone would believe I was speaking for The Regulars from that.

Apparently you did, Derrick, so my apologizes.
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:10 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

433 wrote:
How about everybody chill the fuck out and go ride your scooters? I rode mine today and almost got killed by a yellow New Beetle who felt the need to stop suddenly at the end of an entrance ramp! Fucker!

I wonder if the vintage Beetle forums had a similar discussion when the New Beetle hit the market?
Adam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:57 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

As I was composing my earlier response, Becky contributed another one that address me or at least my post at ScooterBBS. I don't see a huge need to defend further my statement of opinion on the ScooterBBS, but I do think it appropriate to respond to some of the statements contained in Becky's posting. I will try to be brief.

"Adam posts to the BBS with quite the authoritative tone"

Being an authority on what my own opinion is, the tone seems reasonable to me.

"What 'concerns' were these, and how have they been 'eased'?... ...where the heck is he getting that from? Thanks for letting the BBS know how us vintage riders are feeling, Adam. Are all Minn-Maxers that telepathic?"

The Minnescoota forum section has had comments dealing with vintage riders wanting to go on vintage only rides, a concern. Becky, you organized such rides and stated people enjoy them, an easement of that concern. Various vintage riders posted how they felt on the pubic forum at Minnescoota. Doesn't take telepathy and I didn't say anything that wasn't public knowledge already.

"I keep hearing about these "non-vintage folks" and their disappointment..."

Doesn't your hearing about this kind of prove my point that making everyone happy can't really be done?

"The phrase "fairly open group" is a pretty debatable matter... ...don't see a whole hell of a lot of chatter here about how 'folks feel about the advance of modern scooterism'..."

Well, for one example, this specific thread deals to a degree with peoples feelings about modern scooterism and vintage scooter society. And it is posted on a public accessible website, seems fairly open.

"The motorcycle is never "king" in a climate with a riding season of basically 4 months."

I meant here in the United States, which I mentioned in the previous sentence in the paragraph.

"I don't appreciate this un-informed fella speaking for me, the Regulars, or anyone else in a public forum like that... ...I don't know how he figures he can speak so expertly about people and things he has NO clue about..."

I wasn't speaking for you or the Regulars or anyone else. I was able to form an opinion based on information found on the Minnescoota website and forum and from discussions with other folks that attend the rides. I did have a "clue" of what I spoke and whether it is appreciated or not, I was making an informed contribution to the discussion at ScooterBBS on the topic being addressed.

Again, I do apologize if anyone mistaken thought I was trying to present my opinion as anything other than my opinion.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:31 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Point is, Adam used the word "seems". At no point did Adam claim to be a Regulars member or imply that he was speaking for the Regulars. Look through that board and check out how other people post about their clubs - they use word like "my", "our", "we", etc., implying ownership/membership. Adam does nothing of the sort, and I think that you're treating him rather rudely. for giving his opinion about something he doesn't claim to be involved in other than attending the rally.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:10 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

433 wrote:
he doesn't claim to be involved in other than attending the rally

But Adam does sign his posts "The Regulars SC" so I think it's fair to assume that people would think he's speaking for the Regulars.

-Matt
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:11 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

LOREMipsum wrote:
I wonder if the vintage Beetle forums had a similar discussion when the New Beetle hit the market?

Yep and the mini vs. MINI too..