minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  Events  ~  Sat, Oct 14 Autumn Ride
ScootKulture
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:45 am  Reply with quote
Training

Well, since there's no more Twins Baseball to look at this season, let's look at some fall colors.

I see there was a ride last weekend, but how about another one this Saturday? I haven't spent much time outside of the Twin Cities Metro since I moved up here so I'm open to suggestions for routes. I'm thinking along the lines of:
40-60mph average, maybe 100-150 miles round trip, country roads with lots of trees, water (in the lakes and rivers, not on the roads), corn, soybeans, farmers, pie, apples, coffee, and pumpkins. That's not too much to ask. Oh, and no snow or rain. And lots of sunshine.

There were some excellent ideas for good country rides tossed around at Bryant Lake Bowl a few weeks back by a few Tuesday Night Riders. I'd like to have their ideas, along with many others, posted here.

Thanks! Once we get a good number of route suggestions a decision will be made about the route, timing, and meeting place and posted in this thread.
pemkt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:51 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Hey,

would people be willing to come over to Wisconsin for this ride? If so I'd be happy to plot out a route using Wis. alphabet soup roads (county highways). There are some really nice ones over this way.

-Tom in Eau Claire
ScootKulture
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:14 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Keep talking..... Of course 'Sconnie is an option!
Kevin K
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

As long as we can ride county road O!
Oh, and this one: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/scenic/rusticroad51.htm

Waterrrrr croooossings.....
-K

ScootKulture
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:31 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Awesome! You know, that's a damn good idea... It's down by Red Wing, which is scenic, and Maiden Rock (pictured in the Rustic Road 51 map) is approximately equidistant from the Twin Cities to Eau Claire so it would be a nice compromise for Tom.

Now who has good ideas for routes from the Twin Cities to Red Wing? And then from RW over to Rustic Road 51?
ScootKulture
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:31 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Of course, there's also shorter routes to be considered as well.
It's been suggested to me that White Bear Lake to Stillwater along Hwy 96 (with a possible stop at Pine Tree Apple Orchard) is a good fall ride too.
Like I said, I don't know much outside of the metro area so I'm not sure if this is a good scooter route or not, just brainstorming.
Matty
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

ScootKulture wrote:
Now who has good ideas for routes from the Twin Cities to Red Wing? And then from RW over to Rustic Road 51?

From St. Paul take Minnehaha (Just east of Swede Hallow) heading East, it'll turn into 10 after a while. It ends at Stagecoach Trial. Head South on Stagecoach, at Afton it'll turn into St Croix Trial. Keep heading South. It'll end at HWY 10 head East over to Prescott. Once over the river take 35 heading South all the way then cross over to Red Wing.

That's the easiest way for real scooters if you have some modern thing that can do 70mph might as well take 61.

pemkt
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:58 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Hey, this sounds good to me. (Sorry I didn't reply sooner -- I've been sick.) Since we'd be coming from different directions it might make sense to meet up somewhere near Red Wing, ride, then split up and head home. I'll consult my maps this evening when I get home and see what routes might be good.

-Tom in Eau Claire
pemkt
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:45 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

O.K., well if people want to travel O and rustic road 51 we could meet at the intersection of highway EE and 35 in Bay City WI. Hwy O would be on your way there from the cities. From bay city we would travel east on 35 to AA. We could then head onto CC and travel to the little house Wayside (little house on the prarie) and stop for a bite. People could then head off in thier own direction.

Any other ideas?

-Tom in Eau Claire
pemkt
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:56 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Too cold? Yeah, I'm not sure that I want to travel any real distance on a scooter in this weather.

-Tom

--Still riding to work though.
ScootKulture
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Yeah, I had kind of been stalling on this issue due to the weather. Having some serious second thoughts about it myself. When I originally posted the forecast didn't look too bad, but now I don't know. Any sort of precipitation, lack of sunshine, and presence of gale force winds would deter me from riding tomorrow as well.
I think I'm just gonna play it by ear and see what it's like when I wake up tomorrow. Might just do a shorter ride over to Stillwater or something. I'll post if/when I'm leaving in case anybody wants to show up.
Thanks for the route suggestions, everyone. Hopefully others will post some good ones here too. I'd love to do more country riding next season.