minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Are there ANY decent parts dealers in the US??
speedyvespa
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:45 am  Reply with quote
Training

Anyone know of any parts dealers in the US who send you the stuff you ask for in the same year as you order it?

- A popular lambretta parts dealer - ordered a crank, when it came, it had the inner bearing collar attached. Therefore I'm required to get this off myself (and we all know what fun that is), but obviously had been fitted to another scoot... (this was not advertised as used, but accepting the explanation that it was fitted to a scoot and then immediately removed... hmm, ok). Also ordered gear shims, wanted a 2.4mm, 2.6mm and 2.8mm, was told they had the first two in stock. Just send me what you have, I said. Just been told they are 'backordered', will take 2 weeks for a f*&kin shim?? In spite of being told they were in stock (and I only wanted what they had on hand)??

- a popular PA parts dealer. Ordered a rear hub extractor 3 weeks ago. one turned up last week, it would very obviously NEVER work on any series 3 hub I've ever seen. Sent it straight back, still waiting on the replacement 9 days after.

- a popular Chicago dealer. Asked for a pair of primmy inner tubes. Received a pair of tubes that look as if they're off a wheelbarrow from the 1920's. Nowhere near the right size.

- Ordered lighter (shipping$$$) parts from MB Developments (lambrettaspares.com) and scooterrestorations.com, turned up 5 days after, cheap shipping - lo and behold, everything I asked for and exactly right. Found out that even with the dollar on the ropes against the pound, it works out far far cheaper to buy from the UK, even with shipping. They can only calculate your shipping after they have picked your order, but don't worry, it's fair and it's cheap. And quicker, it seems. (i.e. 60 dollars for a lammy rectifier from scooter restorations vs. $110 from a popular US dealer).

Anyone know of any dealers who don't put you through this crap? I've been restoring/rebuilding since 1986 over in the UK, and moved here a couple of years ago. You guys have my full admiration for managing to even remotely keep your bikes running in the face of this poo.

I imagine I'm going to put some people's noses out of joint with this post, but c'mon... get yer f*&kin act together. It's not like I've ordered parts for a prototype Bastert, these are series 3 lammies I have!!

Or, is this old news and you all order from overseas anyway?

OK, time for my Temazepam...
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:50 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

If only Primo Parts was still in business here...

The key to scooterworks is to find someone who treats you right and ONLY talk to that person. But as of late they have had a lot of turnover so that may not help.

Only shops I've never had trouble with

http://www.scooterwest.com/
http://beedspeed.com/
http://www.scooter-center.com/1024-e.htm (though I've heard they have started to slide a little lately)

So yeah overseas is the way to go!

speedyvespa
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:36 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Matty wrote:
If only Primo Parts was still in business here...

The key to scooterworks is to find someone who treats you right and ONLY talk to that person. But as of late they have had a lot of turnover so that may not help.

Only shops I've never had trouble with

http://www.scooterwest.com/
http://beedspeed.com/
http://www.scooter-center.com/1024-e.htm (though I've heard they have started to slide a little lately)

So yeah overseas is the way to go!

Aye, cheers Matty... I'm not being victimised then? :)

It's not that things haven't gone array for me when ordering stuff back in the old country (believe me they have...), but I've yet to have things go right for me here.

Any dealers reading... I don't think people mind if you say you haven't got stuff in stock. But if it's put on 'backorder' unknowingly, then I'm just inclined to shop elsewhere when spending more $$$ on more major components. Scheduling in 3 engine rebuilds into your calendar when you have a full time job isn't easy... backorders throw spanners in the works (pun). I don't want another summer of semi-rebuilt scoots and driving cars.

OK, I've calmed down from earlier....
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:19 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Sorry but that's nothing new.

Most dealers in the US don't care or have a clue. I can't blame them. Parts supply is sketchy and quality is usually very low. It's got to be hard making a living selling vintage scooter parts here. Most (notice I didn't say all) of the vintage scooter riders in the US are ultra cheap bastards. They won't spend a fortune on an old Lambretta like in the UK. Plus, vintage scooters do not have as large of a following here - at least from what I have seen. Especially Lambrettas. The last time I needed a gear stack shim for a Lambretta I had to lap a thicker one down by hand! It took me about 2 hours. It's hard to beat MB Developments for quality, service and price for Lambretta stuff.

It sucks but at the same time it keeps the wimps out of vintage scooters... or at least from riding them.

PS don't believe the hype - Primo parts was way overrated!
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh, and that is standard procedure - they always say they have the part in stock even if they don't. Then they just send anything that is "close". That way they can get ride of their dead inventory and it's your problem now.

Cool huh?
Egan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:38 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

72 or 78 whats it matter, eh?

speedyvespa
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:58 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Thanks chaps, this is useful to know. Though I do feel like a sucker for not working it out at least somewhat...

I suppose it stems from the yoo ess of ay not having scooter culture woven deeply into it's culture like Europe has. I can imagine vintage Harley owners in the UK having the same complaints? On the other hand, it's nice to show a lammy to someone who has never seen one before. Upsndowns.

*chortle*... if vintage scoot riders are going to be cheap, then they shouldn't complain when their steed carks out every 10 yards. Nor should they moan about them being unreliable, you pay peanuts you get monkeys (or crap parts, about as useful). It amazes me when people someone expects 50-year old 2t technology to be reliable by modern standards? Best buy one of these then...

http://www.tngscooters.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=184

Vintage scoots can be rock-solid reliable, if you do it right... end of. It's just so hard to get the parts here that enable you to do it right.