minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  Classifieds  ~  In need of jet, #50 idle jet for older SI carb.
hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:36 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Somebody please venture into their caverness garage and pull out a #50 (or 55 or 60) idle jet for the older vented SI carb. I don't have 1 single idle jet on hand so I'm dead in the water without one. I've put a kickstart into the 180, and this is the last piece in my puzzle. I'll buy/trade/turn tricks to get one. PM me if you care about my starving children.

I wave you fuckers.
hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Wow, don't all jump at once. It may seem insignificant to some, but it's it's of the utmost importance to me. Help a local out.
Or answer my stupid sounding question:

Will a later style idle jet work (ie: 38/120 or 55/160) as I was recently given the impression by the folks at scooterworks that because my carb has the air hole, the idle jet is different and unavailable. Reggie doesn't have any of the older style carbs, and I don't want to rob the VBB so the Rally can live.

I wave you fuckers.
Derrick
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:08 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

There are very few people here that have idle jets laying around.

There are less here that know anything about the jets themselves. Here is what I know.

There are basically two styles of idle jets for the Dellorto Si type carbs.

The early ones were shorter and did NOT have an air hole in the top. They supplied gas only. There was an air supply circuit but it was incorporated in the carb body itself and was not adjustable. There was only one number on the side for the gas supply size hole.

The later ones are taller and have an air hole in the top. There is an extra hole or bump in the air filter to accommodate the extra height. These idle jets supplied air AND gas. These have two numbers on the side - the larger number is for the air (top) supply hole - the smaller is for the gas (bottom) supply hole. These idle jets allow you to adjust BOTH the overall idle air and idle gas independently.

You can swap them BUT you have to physically shorten the later style and more importantly you have to understand what you are doing. Which makes me wonder - what are you trying to do? What happened to the original jet?
hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:22 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Damn, that's exactly the info I was looking for. The original idle jet was missing from the motor I got with the bike, and with the extra motor I bought later on. I have 2 older style 20/20 carbs, and one I cleaned up really well so I'm confident it will function properly. I naivly used a newer style idle jet in the older style carb, and listening to the way it runs; explains a lot. I don't want to buy a new carb just because I'm short on 1 jet. I've replaced the kickstart quadrant and the bike (rally 180) has 100 psi compression and loads of spark now so getting the carb to stock spec is my next hurdle in eliminating all possible causes of it running improperly. Thanks Derrick

I wave you fuckers.