minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Harmonic Vibration
Brad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:50 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I've developed a harmonic vibration on my Chetak on Thursday and Friday (it sounds a bit like a growl that speeds up and slows down with the engine). I'm pretty sure that it is coming from the engine, because when I'm cruising and pull in the clutch - no growl. The motor still seems to run great otherwise.

I was gone this weekend and am looking at it tonight. What do you think - loose flywheel or maybe just loose fan attached (it looks like four bolts) to the flywheel?

Brad

Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:42 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I have noticed that as the exhausts get old and gets "blown out" they can make more noise and vibration.

I would check to make sure everything is tight. Like the exhaust, engine mounts, rear shock etc.
Brad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:29 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

At first I was thinking wheel bearings, but there's no side-to-to side play.

The exhaust idea is good. I think that I'll go through the hind end to see that everythind is attached tight. Maybe take the shroud off and check the fan and flywheel.

The noise is getting loud enought that I'm a little worried about something flying off when I'm riding it.

JoeP
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:16 pm  Reply with quote
Training

I had a harmonic vibration develop on my 2002 Chetak only within a certain band of RPMs. In my case, the source was that little metal plate on the bottom of the exhaust that has some emissions specifications. Two of the four rivets failed, and the other two were loose. I pulled off the plate and it stopped.
Brad
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:12 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I think that I got it. About one-half of the screws holding the engine shroud were a bit loose. There were not any lock washers on any of the screws. Nothing else seemed loose, though now I am going to check that exhaust plate.

I threw some lock washers on and retightened everything. Now it's quieted down again.