minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  route advice
yoyo65
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:50 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hi All!

DH is going to be working over in Roseville a few of his shifts each week through the summer. He plans on using the scoot for the commute.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a non-freeway route for him?

From the south Minneapolis to the 35w & county road D area.

We hope to test some routes this Sat after I get off of work because this all starts on Monday.

thank you
shelli

Last edited by yoyo65 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total

yoyo65
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:52 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

oops, I forget.

one of the days he will be in downtown Mpls, near the Farmer's Market on Lyndale and have a 1/2 hour to get over to Roseville. Any suggestions?

Brooke
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:58 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

yoyo65 wrote:
oops, I forget.

one of the days he will be in downtown Mpls, near the Farmer's Market on Lyndale and have a 1/2 hour to get over to Roseville. Any suggestions?

lyndale/hennepin -> Hennepin -> Stinson -> New Brighton Blvf/Hwy 88 -> Co Rd D then take a right
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:13 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'd probably leave out New Brighton Blvd. Just take Stinson to 37th Ave NE and turn right (east) - it becomes County Rd. D. It'll be substantially less crowded than New Brighton Blvd, I think. But otherwise, yeah - take your favorite route to Hennepin, jump north on Stinson, and go to 37th Ave NE / Cty Rd. D.

Matty
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:18 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

There usually isn't much traffic on New Brighton Blvd, besides it's fun to actually get up to speed.

Could also stay on Henn till it turns into Larpenteur and take a left on Fairview.

Same directions from downtown, or jump up to Lowry take that east to Stinson.

yoyo65
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:20 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

wow, that was fast! Thanks guys! You've pretty much comfirmed what route(s) I was thinking about.

Brooke
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:57 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

yoyo65 wrote:
wow, that was fast! Thanks guys! You've pretty much comfirmed what route(s) I was thinking about.

New Brighton Blvd is one of the best kept secrets of getting across that part of town. 55 mph and really not much traffic even in the heaviest of times. Maybe a 30 mph parkway ride up to 37th may be good for some. But for getting somewhere fast on a scooter (fly 150 right?) 88 is the way to go.
Brad
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:31 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Highway 88 rocks, a mini freeway for scooters.

I like third avenue through downtown minneapolis also. It runs from Franklin all the way to the central ave bridge, turning into central after you cross the bridge. I think it depends on where you are in South Minneapolis, Portland or Park Are good also.

Pick your best route downtown, cross river at Central or Hennepin, take Hennepin Ave E, Left onto Johnson after crossing 35 W, right onto Broadway, quick left onto New Brighton Blvd/Highway 88, run wide open at 50ish mph for your daily rush, Take a right onto Co. Road D.

I've done this many times, this is the route with the best lights and traffic.

yoyo65
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

thanks again everybody!

Brad, we're in Powderhorn Park so going over to Central might just be a bit out of the way. But I'm thinking going through the Cedar/Riverside are to the 19th ave bridge to get over the Mississippi, then follow that right along the east side of 35w where it eventually turns into Johnson St (taking the boyz to swimming lesson at the Lupient waterpark for the last few summers sure helped me figure that area out)

I've got a few routes for Richard to pick from and I'm looking forward to getting out for a good ride tomorrow after work so he can figure it out. It's really up to him. I'm just looking for an excuse to ride. I'm sure he'll like Hwy 88/New Brighton Blvd because of the speed factor LOL

shelli

Brad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:49 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

yoyo65 wrote:
thanks again everybody!

Brad, we're in Powderhorn Park so going over to Central might just be a bit out of the way. But I'm thinking going through the Cedar/Riverside are to the 19th ave bridge to get over the Mississippi, then follow that right along the east side of 35w where it eventually turns into Johnson St (taking the boyz to swimming lesson at the Lupient waterpark for the last few summers sure helped me figure that area out)

shelli

You're talking the bridge next to 35W? I had forgotten about that one. It looks like a fun ride.

yoyo65
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah, it was not bad at all. The route itself was not bad, but we tested it out Sat evening. There was barely any traffic. Only took about 20mn from our house. I hope it'll work well during the week. Most days Dh will get off of work at 2 and I have to be to work at 3. When the boys don't have school, that gets to be a problem. Cuttin' it close.

The only thing I didn't like was the condition of Hwy 88, especially between County Rd C and County Rd D. Lots of potholes, some big. So watch out.
It was fun to go fast though! :)

Oh, and then there was the asshole to insisted on passing under the railroad bridge that goes over Johnson St right with me even though I was in the right lane and he was in the left, which is clearly signed to merge into the right. So I had the right of way. I'm glad there the signal was red at Broadway, because he got quite a few choice words from me, and the bird.
There was nobody else on the road besides us three, and that jerk just had to go through at the same time I did.