minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Starter Issues with My Stella
mister_p
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:42 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Hey all,

so having some issues with my '05 Stella. After I broke her out this spring the electrical starter wouldn't work. OK, no problem I'll be a man and use the kick start. So no problems except that today it wouldn't start. So it's push start time, which if you're a man and have done this you know why it's no fun and tends to cause a bit a pain.

So I talk to the 'ville after I get home and they thinks it's the spark. Sounds good. So I head off to an auto shop. Needless to say, three part shops later and many hill push starts I am still not starting even with the new plug.

I am a mechanical idiot (mechidiot?) so am not sure what to check. The battery is probably bad, so I could get that replaced, toped-off whatever, but is there anything else I am missing? I had almost an identical problem last year and it was the little fuel agitator thingy in the carb, the jet thingybob. How do I check that? just pull the lid off the carb and take a look see if everything is in place?

Just want to check if it's something I can fix before bugging everyone at Scooterville and can get any replacement parts I might need in one fell swoop.

To summarize the various issues:
Often won't kickstart
When it does that doesn't mean it will re-start after turning it off, though sometime s it does.
Dies when throttling down, i.e. coming to a stop or of course, when there are no hills around to push-start. And cops are in front of me. Or hoodlums.

Thanks!

Matty
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:41 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Get a new battery from Bob.

Jets are a good place to start. This shows a complete rebuild, but don't do that! Leave the carb in and just take off the carb box lid and air filter to get to the jets, then make sure none of the jets are clogged.

www.vespamaintenance.com/fuel/carbrebuild/index.html

or just bring it to Scooterville.

mister_p
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:51 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Thanks for the tips. Of course it brings up another issue, the *day* I put my scooter to sleep for the winter is the day my fuel cock decided to die. So I can't really run the carb dry. I remember tips somewhere on fixing it, anyone know what that is?

I'll get the new battery, but getting the scoot over to Scooterville is an issue when it isn't working as I don't have a trailer. And if it's just the battery than I can drop a new one in.

Brooke
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:39 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I don't think the battery will have anything to do with it not starting. But make sure you have the exact right new plug. It wouldn't be the first time some schmuck at an autoparts store gave out bad advice in terms of plug equivalent.

If you have the correct plug (hopefully NGK), it's probably a fuel issue so follow matt's advice on cleaning the jets in question. But if your fuel tap is broke it could be related. Likely even.
Matty
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:28 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

It broke in the on position? Then it's probably flooding, if it broke in the off position then you're not getting gas. So the lever broke? Not sure how it is on a Stella but probably involves removing the gas tank.

chris
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I love the phrase "fuel cock". Yeah!

Chris

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

In the (unlikely) event it's an electrical problem, it could be the battery, but it could also be the main fuse, which is located behind the battery toward the rear of the bike. There's a black plug you unscrew, and it's spring-loaded. I've had a battery and a fuse go bad on my '05 Stella.

If it's the plug, make sure you've got either an NGK B7ES or maybe B6ES (or BP7ES or BP6ES will also work - but they're overkill, IMO), or a Champion RN9YC - these are the recommended Stella plugs. I used the B7ES and RN9YC when I was stock, they're both fine. Also, make sure that you don't have any loose wires in the ignition system - the boot that plugs onto the spark plug sometimes comes loose from its wire, just screw it back onto the wire if it's loose. Up at the coil, I had the low-tension (input) wire break off its spade connector - presumably from vibration, but I'm not sure. So check it's not loose - that could cause sporadic problems.

I've had the fuel cock come loose on my stella once, but it failed in the open position - this seems to be almost always the way they fail, at least according to the stories I've heard from other Stella owners. If your fuel cock failed open, then you've probably got a flooded engine. If you suspect that, just close the choke, hold the throttle all the way open, and kick it a few times to clear it. That will probably do the job.

If you left the tank full of gas, it's also possible you've got a clogged jet, which could result in some of the behavior you're describing. If you take out the jets, poke a tiny pin through the holes and spray the jets down with carb cleaner, let it dry and reassemble, you'll probably clear up any jet problems. Also, spray out the air filter with carb cleaner, just for good measure, while you're in there.

Also, make sure you jiggle the key a little - sometimes when my key is in the "ON" position the bike isn't actually ON. This is where the neutral light is handy - if the bike is in neutral, you know the bike is ON when the neutral light is on. Although sometimes you have to jiggle BOTH the shifter AND the key to get it to come on! And of course the neutral sensor could come unplugged from the back of the engine, which would cause the neutral light not to work. And finally, as has happened to me, if both (1) the main fuse is blown; and (2) the keyswitch gets flakey about being "ON" when it's in the "ON" position, you'll have no way of telling whether or not the bike is electrically ABLE to start on any given kick.

So YES, all you vintage guys, everything I've listed above has happened at least once on my '05 Stella with 8500 miles on it. Our bikes have all the problems vintage bikes have. But they're not cool :-P

Egan
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yup but they smell like strawberries (unkewl). Buy a smelly lambretta and go fast.

Brooke
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:58 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I could be wrong but even with no fuse and no battery, there should be spark.

Also, never use a solid object to clear a main jet. maybe a really tiny guitar string on an idle jet that's not going to be crucial, but scratch a main jet and it will just have you running in circles. Use carb cleaner and compressed air.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:11 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brooke wrote:
I could be wrong but even with no fuse and no battery, there should be spark.

Yes. My bike worked fine with both a dead battery and a blown fuse. The only problem is, combined with a bad key switch, it makes it really hard to tell *IF* the bike is in the "on" position - and if it's not, you'll kick all day to no avail.

chris
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:13 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I still think "fuel cocks" are sexy.

Chris

mister_p
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:57 pm  Reply with quote
Training

OK,

I check the jets and they are both fine. I brought the idle up a little bit so it isn't stalling and seems to be idling better. Man, that carb cover is tricky to get off and on. Then the gasket pulled parkway off so took me about 20 minutes to push it back on. I pulled the battery and will bring it by the 'ville and pick up a new plug appropriate plug.

Hmm, maybe it is the fuse. When I hit the electric start I get nothing, not even clicking now. In any case, I'll get the battery checked and if it isn't that I'll bring it in for more troubleshooting. I started it several times and things were working, I'm just getting paranoid about having it die on the River Road on my way to Scooterville. It always seems to be 90F when my Stella goes dead.

nate
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:39 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

At least on a P- if the battery/and or fuse is dead, you can't honk the horn, turn on the signals, or have a rear running light. If the bike is theoretically "on", but you can't honk the horn, your battery is dead, or the fuse is gone.

If you can honk the horn while the bike is on, don't worry about the battery at this point.

In my occasional experience with a flooded bike and a left-open fuel petcock, it takes awhile to flood. If your bike dies while you're idling down and you can't start it again within 2-3 minutes- I'm guessing it's not a flooding problem. If it IS a flooding problem, it' almost be so bad that you're dumping such a ridiculous amount of gas straight into the cylinder that you might be bypassing the carburettor altogether.
Jeff
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:49 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm voting for loose or dirty sparkplug wire or cap for not being able to kick it and dead battery for not being able to use the starter. That happens from time to time

The batteries just don't charge well on the stella. You really need to use a trickle charger to maintain a charge.
Matty
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:02 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom Lindsay wrote:
So YES, all you vintage guys, everything I've listed above has happened at least once on my '05 Stella with 8500 miles on it. Our bikes have all the problems vintage bikes have. But they're not cool :-P

Sorry Tom but the scoots the cool vintage guys ride don't have keys, batteries, or fuses! But I'm not that cool either...