minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Clunk
dmarquis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:44 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hello All,

I have a stella question. I just got my new Stella fireball and I have about 130 miles on it. It seems that when I shift the gears always make a clunk noise. Is this normal? Also how do you launch from a stand still in 1st gear?

Dave
Matty
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The clunk is totally normal.

Just practice and it'll get easier, gently let out the clutch while giving it a little bit of gas, eventually you'll be able to find the 'sweet spot' and take off and shift faster.

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

There's been a lot of posts both at www.stellaspeed.com and at www.scooterbbs.com about shifting on a stella, it's probably not a bad idea to read both. Remember that during the breakin period you and the stella are feeling each other out, adapting to each other. The clutch is breaking in, the cables are stretching, there are still some rough spots that will be worn down with time (hence the reason to change the gear oil at 500 miles), and you're getting used to all of it.

I drive a stick shift car, but the first ride home on my Stella I thought I'd made a mistake - it was hard to shift, it ran rough, and all in all I was concerned. By the second day things were a little better, and by the end of a week I was in love. I've had it for just six weeks now, but with 760 miles on it the shifting is second-nature, everything's a lot smoother, and I love it only slightly less than daughter and wife. There *is* still a bit of a clunk when shifting, and I hear there always will be, but that's good - you always know when you're in gear or not!

The best specific advice I'd give on starting from a stop is that you're better to kill it a few times in the process of learning to start soft, than to over-rev and get in the habit of tearing up your clutch.

Have a blast...

dmarquis
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thanks for your helpful info! The Stella is a blast. I love it. I am using to commute to work and get around town. It is smoothing out nicely. I think I need to tighten the cables though as they are looser then when it was brandy new. Is there a how to on this or am I on my own?

Dave
My Pal Foot Foot
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:50 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Adjusting the cables is pretty easy, but it takes a bit to get at them. Take off the engine side cowl, and the black cover on the bottom part of the engine. There are two slotted screws and a bolt holding it on, 13mm I think. The selector box has two cables coming out of it. To tighten the cables back out the adjusters with an 8mm open end wrench. Tighten the nuts from the adjuster screws against the selector so it doesn't loosen or tighten. It works the same way for the rear brake and the clutch.