minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Long days of Summer.... so where do you ride?
GP Kevo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:36 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Back a couple of years ago when I lived in the Twin Cities I'd ride my Vespa Primavera 125 down 61 and over to Prescott, and then wind down highway 35 and park up for lunch at one of the small towns along the way. I'd usually return to Minneapolis by sundown.
Long before that I once rode my Malossi kitted P210E down that route. As I recall there was a Lambretta TV175 Series 2 and a Vespa GS 160 along with me on my noisy, thirsty, but very fast Vespa. It was a fine October day, and there's nothing like riding with a few friends on vintage Vespas and Lambrettas along the Great River Road. I once rode that P210E down to the Dells for a rally. I took I-94 all the way down, leaving Minneapolis on Friday evening, hoping to get down there in a few hours. That turned into an adventure though I made it to the Dells early Saturday morning.

My old scooter club in Madison used to do Sunday rideouts. These were typically 150 mile country rides, exploring the county roads out toward the Dells. We rode to rallies in Chicago, Milwaukee, and as far as Niagara (which I missed).

Lately I've been riding my Lambretta GP 225 out to the county highways west of Madison. Some of these are challenging roads to ride fast as they wind around and over the hills and down through the valleys.

Does anyone up there do a regular weekend ride? Or is it all parkway and city riding?

some_dude
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:01 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

GP Kevo wrote:
Does anyone up there do a regular weekend ride? Or is it all parkway and city riding?

Yeah, that's all I do is putt around the parkways in 2nd gear. I find if I go any faster the pinwheels on my handlebars get torn up. I like to beep my horn at all the bikes, pedestrians, and doggies too.
agigau_k
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

I ride up to the post office, library, and to the house of a relative or two a few blocks down, and then all the way back. It's probably a 3 mile round trip.
nate
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:20 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Going for a long ride with vintage bikes is a joke. Any time you get more than 5 bikes together and attempt to go more than 100 miles, you're just asking for problems. Bring a tent.

That said, the ride through prescott and then winding north through Taylor's Falls and back down is awesome.
GP Kevo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:09 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

How about going for a long group ride with tuned, vintage scooters? That's even more fun, and can be educational as well. Then again, if you build your bike carefully and choose a state of tune geared to touring, a tuned scooter, and by scooter I mean a Lambretta or Vespa, can be reliable. That's not to say that reliability is my first concern on a street racer, which will make it more interesting trying to tour with it. And I always bring my tent.

My old club, MADASS, had a rule that if your scooter broke down on a group ride due to neglect of repairs, then you were left behind. We had weekly tech sessions on Saturdays so there were no excuses.

In SoCal, most people maintained their scooters, or had them serviced. I do remember one Hard Pack SC rideout where the club No. 1 was bitching out a mod whose scooter had broken down for spending too much money on chrome and neglecting his Vespa's engine.

nate
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:49 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

On the last big country ride I went on with a bunch of vintage bikes, the problem bikes were as follows:

Lisa's VNB: Shifter blew up. Can't remember if it was just cables or the selector.

Jeff's VBB: Kind of slow. Ran, but wasn't ridiculously fast.

Stephen's P200- Dieseling, but probably also attributed to oil injector assembly keeping the throttle stuck open. (ie: bike still revved even with the spark plug cable was removed.)

Your Lambretta: I can't remember the specifics on that one, but that spent quite a bit of time on the side of the road (or in the van) on the way out.
scootervillain
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

That wasn't Stephen's P200. It was mine. Funny thing was, I'd picked it up from Chris Orr with about 5000 miles and put another 7000 on it. I'd never had that happen to me. Most of the time I rode it on the freeway between S'Ville and Golden Valley. I loaned it out one other time during a Du rally and it did the same thing.
I sold it last year and inspected the piston & jug before it went out. It was really toasted. I had to replace the top end. It's been fine since.

Kevin K
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Purists might not consider my P200 "vintage", but I ride the snot out of it.
Did a run up to Duluth last fall, and decided to run this year's Minnesota 1000 on it. Keep in mind that I had no intention of running 1000 miles with it, but I thought a 500 mile day was do-able. The scoot thought otherwise. I did fix an ailment on the road, then limped it to Dennis Kirk 20 miles away. I finally fixed the problem, but by then my 500 mile route was blown to hell. I managed to bag one more bonus then headed back to the cities. 359 miles total. GPS said I was averaging mid-50's for overall speed before the breakdown.

(note GPS to the right of the headlight)

It's kind of a kick to roll up next to a fully loaded BMW or Goldwing, with auxillary lights and fuel cell, on a stock Vespa. You might get a look or two...
-K

GP Kevo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:57 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Which ride was this on, nate, as I don't remember taking the GP225 out on any country rides in Minnesota. Maybe it was my Primavera?

GP Kevo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:14 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Kevin K wrote:
Purists might not consider my P200 "vintage"

P200's have been more than welcomed by the purists for a very long time. Really, any P-series Vespa: 2-stroke, manual gearbox, and not a clone.

[/img]

Halfway between San Francisco and LA, after Kings Classic '98. That's my TV200 on the right. The Vespa was a Malossi 210. We pushed them into the bathroom at the motel and the Vespa was leaking fuel so bad it's a wonder that we woke up at all the next morning. 2 days down the 101, with no real scenery until Santa Barbara.

Last edited by GP Kevo on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

nate
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:41 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Was it the Primavera? The camping ride we went on, regardless.
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:10 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Kevin K wrote:
Purists might not consider my P200 "vintage", but I ride the snot out of it.

P200's rule, gs160 are snob mobiles...

GP Kevo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:20 am  Reply with quote
Permit

nate wrote:
Was it the Primavera? The camping ride we went on, regardless.

Yep, that was the Primavera that I'd bought that summer. Cheap. I sold that 2 years ago. Everyone left while I worked on it, except for Jeremy on the Frankenscoot. After I fixed it, we rode straight back to Saint Paul and the Groveland Tap.

John B.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:29 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Nate, maybe you wernt checking your rear view mirror enough on the ride to have a good memory of it?
trishie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:44 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Quote:
Everyone left while I worked on it, except for Jeremy on the Frankenscoot.

Just following your own preferred rules from your MADASS days, sounds like.

Tell us more about the good ol' days.... I, for instance, have only been riding for 10 years, so I'm nowhere as cool as you.