minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Long days of Summer.... so where do you ride?
agigau_k
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:06 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Just trolling
Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:10 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

quote]Why buy a vintage vespa that you can realistically only ride for rally rides (if your allowed to join one) and are prone to breakdowns, even after you just replaced the part.

Is this why most people buy a cheap, new, all plastic Geely or Baron for $300 and has a better ride and disc brakes?[/quote]

You can ride further on vintage bike if you can/want to maintain them. People are prone to fuck them up new or old or "restored". Don't blame the bike....

Most people are cheap, scooterists are the cheapist. Plus last i heard those plasticos were not $300 but $1,000ish. If you don't know or like them just leave them out of your plans.

GP Kevo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:42 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

agigau_k wrote:
Why buy a vintage vespa that you can realistically only ride for rally rides (if your allowed to join one) and are prone to breakdowns, even after you just replaced the part.

Is this why most people buy a cheap, new, all plastic Geely or Baron for $300 and has a better ride and disc brakes?

Are you kidding? I've ridden vintage Vespas and Lambrettas all over the place. 2,500 miles in one week 2-up on a Li-150 (190), 1,000+ miles in one weekend on a '64 Lambretta TV200, several thousand miles in 5 weeks touring around the UK and Ireland on a '66 Lambretta Li150, and thousands of miles, daily, on the freeway commuting to work in LA, on my '79 Vespa P200E (with Malossi 210) as well as riding to rallies and nightly hooligan rides.

I've ridden some of the best of the new auto scooters (Italjet Dragster 180, Vespa GTS 250) and they're rides pale compared to my Lambrettas. The Dragster at least was fun, but it fell to bits in one summer of riding it. Plastic parts broke and fell off, the front shock snapped in two, and try getting replacements. I waited 4 months for a headlight mounting bracket. 4 months. And that was when Italjet was still making them. The GTS ride was overly soft and the acceleration was dull, as only a 4 stroke can be. And as for the Chinese imitations.... no thanks. You can ride around on your Geelys. I won't be put off if I'm not allowed to ride with you.

I don't want to buy "what most people buy". I ain't most people, nor do I want what they want. Let's see how long these Geely or Barons are on the road when there is zero parts support for these things made by fly by night companies manufacturing this stuff by contract factories.
In the "vintage days", companies like Piaggio and Innocenti weren't cranking out millions of scooters just to make a quick buck and fade away before the lawsuits started flooding in. That's why you can still source parts for these scooters several decades since they they were manufactured.
You can't source parts for most of these Chinese cookie cutter machines the day after they're made. They are made to be used and thrown away, perfect for our modern-I-don't-want-any-troubles culture.

A vintage scooter, like a Lambretta Li or a Vespa Rally or P-series, can be as reliable as any new scooter. You can't compare a vintage scooter that's been lying in some shed for 30 years and barely resuscitated to a brand new vehicle, but if the vintage bike is properly re-built, with skill and with quality parts, it can carry you to the ends of the earth. Several trips round the world have been done on Vespas and Lambrettas. They've been proven on race tracks, in trials competitions, world speed records, and on roads the world over. There's a reason these scooters have achieved the iconic status that the rest of the scooter world can only envy.

trishie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:21 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

it also helps if your Vespa and/or Lambretta isn't imported from VN.

or "restored" by some idiot who doesn't know his ass from his gasket.

some_dude
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

agigau_k wrote:
Just trolling

Looks like you've caught a few...
Brad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:32 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

GP Kevo wrote:
The GTS ride was overly soft and the acceleration was dull, as only a 4 stroke can be.

I prefer to say that have four-strokes "tractor-like" power.