minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Why no more vintage looking scooters?!?!?!?
Benny G
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:48 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Is it just me, or does it seem crazy to anyone else that there are not really any companies making vintage-looking scoots at this point. While there's a plethora of overly-modern/sporty looking stuff, there's not really any great retro-looking stuff being made. The Bajaj Chetaks and the Stella are killer, but they both stopped making stuff. It seems to me that scooter sales are on the rise and that will only continue - But every single person I talk to that's interested in getting a scooter wants to find a cool vintage vibe, not an overly sporty thing... There's a lot of money to be made out there by somebody if they can get something like that rolling again.
hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Are you sure stellas are dead? That's all I'm saying.

I wave you fuckers.
chris
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey Chris Says 2% that was writen during a drunken garage night a Monkeyspeed Garage tm. I think it's Matts handwriting or maybe Naters or maybe Nates or maybe Dayns or maybe Egans or maybe mine, I cant really remember. So how is that a hack?

Chris
agigau_k
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:15 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

I think most people like the newer sporty looking bikes because they look fast and want twist and go machines.

I'm trying to sell my Bajaj 150 and a lot of people that call are not interested in the bike when they find out they have to shift it (even though the ad says 4 speed).
hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:19 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Now it all makes sense... All I had was a sellers name and an oil mix ratio...

I wave you fuckers.
Kevin K
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

chris wrote:
Hey Chris Says 2% that was writen during a drunken garage night

EVERY night is drunken garage night at Chris's.
-K

chris
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

maybe it was Brookes or maybe Johns handwriting.

Chris
chris
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:28 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Kevin K wrote:
EVERY night is drunken garage night at Chris's.
-K

How would you know? You're not cool. Now you're mom, she's cool, and hot.

Chris
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

chris wrote:
maybe it was Brookes or maybe Johns handwriting.

Chris

It was me. So when you run 2% and seize it you know who to blame..

Matty
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:18 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Benny G wrote:
The Bajaj Chetaks and the Stella are killer, but they both stopped making stuff.

Well the Stella is coming back, and Scooterville STILL has Chetaks so there really isn't that much of a demand for them.. I'd guess they sold way more modern scoots than Stellas..

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:45 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Benny G, I think you answer your own question when you ask why no more "vintage-looking". I mean, keep in mind that classic scooters were shifters, were metal, and had a very different design ethic than anything being made today. There are plenty of "retro-looking" scooters on the market - if you're the sort of person who buys into the Batman-esque sense of what "retro" means. Cartoonishly jazz-age designs dominate not just "vintage-looking" scooters but also "vintage-looking" motorcycles, including almost the entire cruiser market.

None of these buyers are interested in actual classic designs - don't fool yourself into thinking any of them seriously consider the Stella (a 1980 design at that - not really vintage), even if it *is* available again (which it will be, in olive drab, in October). The plethora of craptacular Chinese "Honda Joker" copies is proof that "classic-looking" has nothing to do with actual classic scooters. The traditional Vespa design doesn't allow for most of the things that today's "hip fashion-accessory" scooters are supposed to be - no possibility of real underseat storage (though my P spring seat has more space than most), not enough space for contemporary 4-stroke OHC engines and CVT variators, wheels that are too small, etc. Today's scooters are very different beasts, designed with very different goals, and actual vintage designs don't accommodate the new goals very well. Designs that *do* accommodate those goals aren't going to look much like a vintage scooter.

Wow, I can't believe I gave a serious answer to a post on Minnescoota!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:02 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I find it quite strange that Genuine still hasn't updated their website to indicate that the Stella is coming back.

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Brad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Benny G wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem crazy to anyone else that there are not really any companies making vintage-looking scoots at this point. ... The Bajaj Chetaks and the Stella are killer, but they both stopped making stuff. ... every single person I talk to that's interested in getting a scooter wants to find a cool vintage vibe, not an overly sporty thing...

They didn't sell enough to keep in production or they couldn't charge enough to make a profit. There aren't enough rich geeks in the world to keep this stuff going.

Benny G
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:34 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Brad wrote:
Quote:
They didn't sell enough to keep in production or they couldn't charge enough to make a profit. There aren't enough rich geeks in the world to keep this stuff going.

But really, all the Kymco stuff and comparable Buddy scoots, etc, are pretty darn close to the same price as Stella and especially Bajaj. With Chetaks selling for around $3,000 and Stellas at around $3,300, the Kymco "Peoples" are at that same price point, if not a little more, and the newer Vespa stuff is a lot more expensive.

Perhaps the demand just isn't there, but it seems that almost everyone I talk to about it is looking for a metal-bodied, manual-shift (like an older Vesp-style). Not to say that the newer-looking stuff is bad at all by any means. There's tons of great stuff out there now, don't get me wrong. It just seems like there's a pretty large hole in the market now without Stella and Bajaj, where as there are many scooters that look very similar to the "Buddy" style (Although the Buddy is probably the most "quality" of the bunch).
Brooke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:44 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The problem is that all these people you talk to don't add up to enough. Also, lots of people like to say that's what they want. But in reality that's the image they they see in their head of what they want, but not the object they want in the end.