minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Everybody OK?
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:20 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Wild night in my part of town. Everyone OK out there?
chris
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Holy shit!

Chris

Brooke
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Jeff wrote:
Wild night in my part of town. Everyone OK out there?

This is nuts. I hope the human toll is as small as possible, but this is going to be a mess for a long time.
chris
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The roads are one thing but there was a bus full of kids on that bridge. I'll sit in bumper to bumper traffic for the rest of my life if all of those kids are ok. The roads can be fixed. Those people that survive that are going to have a very hard time both physically and mentally.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:14 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The kids are all okay. The bus fell 40 or so feet, but landed (and stayed) right side up.

I was on 10th Avenue at 6th Street or so, about to head over the 10th Avenue Bridge, but, well...that didn't happen.

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
chrissy b
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:26 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

From the Strib - FYI

Memorial Blood Centers and the American Red Cross put out immediate calls for blood donors on Wednesday night.

Within an hour of the bridge collapse, blood banks had shipped extra blood supplies to Hennepin County Medical Center and North Memorial Hospital to help care for the injured.

To donate blood, call the Red Cross at 1-800-GIVE-LIFE or Memorial Blood Centers at 1-888-GIVE-BLD.
Harvey
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:11 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

That was insane. Hoping everyone and their family and friends are alright. Hope what we've heard so far is as high as the death toll goes.

I heard somethng about cracks in the superstructure. I wonder with the jackhammers and the heat the last several days didn't increase the severity of the cracks already there. If you tap on a cracked windshield...

Just hoping the best for everyone involved.

Harv
Kevin K
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:44 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I hope that no one here was involved or had family/friends that were involved. And I'm very glad that the kids on the bus are OK.

I rode over the 10th street bridge several times on Saturday. The next time that I do will feel very strange. The 36W bridge has been around longer than I have. I mean.........wow.

I echo Chris's sentiments exactly. Holy shit.
-K

Stumpy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

There just happens to be a blood drive at my building at 6th and Nic today (Thursday, Aug 2). It's the Dorsey Building with M&S Grill in it. I think it's right in the lobby, so if you can't make it to a red cross and are downtown, sadly, your blood will be very much needed.

Stop by...Blood donors were the only reason my mother lasted long enough to see my wedding. She didn't make it to see my first born, but I got to dance with my Mom on my wedding night.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:39 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Don't worry about the 10th Avenue Bridge -- it's 80 years old, 50% taller, and slightly longer. It'll be around a long time.

I wonder about the rally route. If anything went down West River Road, that'll have to change.

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
yoyo65
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:44 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

We're ok here.

I don't know how DH is going to get to work now. (Powd Park to 35W and County Road D). He has been taking that 10th ave bridge/Johnson St to New Brighton Blvd. I can only think of the 3rd Ave Bridge, but I can only imagine what the traffic will be like.

I've been driving the same way taking the boys to swimming lessons at the Lupient Water Park up there in NE Mpls. Past summers I have always use 35W, but this year I decieded to use the 10th ave bridge because of the construction. Today was the last day for those swimming lessons. Glad I made that desicion.

A good friend of mine (her daughter also taking swimming lessons at Lupient) was on the bridge about noon today. She is quite shaken up now.

My hopes and prayers go out to those effected by this tragedy.
shelli

Brad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

yoyo65 wrote:

I don't know how DH is going to get to work now. (Powd Park to 35W and County Road D). He has been taking that 10th ave bridge/Johnson St to New Brighton Blvd. I can only think of the 3rd Ave Bridge, but I can only imagine what the traffic will be like.

I'm glad I was out of town yesterday, that's my normal car route home.

Road in on the scooter today. Co D, then 88 is still open to broadway. Hennepin was backed up for about a mile to Central/3rd. Might try taking Broadway to central tomorrow.

Central/3rd was moving OK once I got on it. Much of the Central traffic was opting for Hennepin Ave to Cross the river. There were traffic officers out this morning directing traffic.

I think that a lot people stayed home today, traffic seemed light.

Central would probably work OK. He'd be going opposite of rush hour both ways. I also considered the Franklin or Washington bridge, but that's kind of out of the way for me.

yoyo65
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:38 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Talked to Dh just a little while ago. He said the traffic on the 3rd ave bridge was not too bad this morning (he has to be to work by 8am) He says he screwed up when he got to Broadway. He took a left when he should've taken a right.

Brad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:49 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I find it easier going home to take Central, a right onto Hennepin, a left onto Johnson (there's a green arrow there for a left across oncoming traffic), a right onto Broadway, then a left onto 88.

pemkt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:19 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Glad to hear everybody is O.K..