minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  How big is your pipe?
MJ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:25 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Fair enough, Brooke. And, I didn't mean to "blame" anyone. Thank you for your response.
Here is the part in question:
http://www.scooterworks.com/Exhaust_Extension_Pipe_P3382C204.cfm

I am new to the scooter stuff and this site and didn't want to advertise or endorse a particular company (like scooterworks) and didn't know how people would respond to a cheap aftermarket part like this. And based on your "cheap chrome embelishment", I was correct that this wouldn't get the response that I wanted. So, I guess I just assumed that the OD of a muffler would be enough info. to get the basic information that I needed without posting URLs and my specific plans. I now know better.
MJ

Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:12 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

It's kind of like the old question - "How long is a piece of string?"

Sorry, no more Goggos.
wheeled
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

oh my I like that one
kennylibido
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey MJ,

Welcome to Minnesota where no one gets what you mean because they're so fucking boring.

I hope you get what you want without having to ask 20 questions. I hope everyone with an answer just gives it up without an inquisition.

I thought about advising you to run for your life when I first saw this thread but decided you'd do well with the experience - then I laughed after all this nonsense and advise you to run for your life. There's expertise here but no experience.
MJ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:25 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Thanks for your support and advice, Kenny.

It's hard to argue with the boring part, however, I have been a lot of places and have met a lot of people and Minnesotans have never failed to top everyone with being helpful and forthcoming. Born and raised here it is easy to take this forgranted. But, it doesn't make it any less true. I was excited to find a MN based forum to ask my newbie scootering questions because of these two fine MN traits.

I don't mean to over simplify or insult anybody's intelligence, but, being "funny" = failing miserably; Impatience = nonsense answers about flowers and swallows; Specific explanation of what information I was looking for = It depends; Even more specific explanation + URL + why I am asking = deep thoughts about string
One more try, as I am an optimist.
I am asking for someone with a scooter (as I said before, I am scooterless at the moment) to please take a tape measure out to the garage and put it at the end of their muffler pipe and measure the outside diameter. Then, take the measurement back to their computer and kindly type a response to this thread with your findings.

I am crossing my fingers that this will work, because with this posting I am one quarter of the way to Kenny's suggested 20 questions to get an answer.

Signed,
Frustrated newcomer

***If you just want to remind your friends about how funny and smart you are, fine. If you just want to remind me that I am not part of the "inner-sanctum" of the scootering community, point taken. Soon, I may just take my toys and go home, like Kenny advises. But, how would this grow and benefit the MN scootering community?? Just a thought. I can be real "deep", too. ***

Egan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:56 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Funny Kenny did'nt give you your answer...hmmm.
He's as funny as a fart in church too. I Laugh because Joe wants or needs to have somethings/people organized and this ain't.

I guess. There are some needed bits of info that are needed such as what type of muffle tip you need a size of.
I can give you sizes for '63 GL, '62 Ser.II, '66 Blue badge, '83 Serveta, '64 GS. So which should I run out and measure, all? Let me know and I'd gladly end this thread.

nate
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:58 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brooke wrote:
It varies from about 1.5 to 2.5cm.

Isn't that the answer you were looking for?

I don't think Brooke's comment was a disparagement against chrome in general, just some of the cheaper-made exhaust tips. I don't know if those are going to stand in the pantheon of quality any time soon. It was an honest answer to the question.
Derrick
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:46 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I just heard "Sex Farm Women" on the radio.

That song ROCKS!

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/spinal-tap-sex-farm-lyrics.html
Brooke
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:59 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Actually, the first answer I gave was about right. I was estimating the average diameter of the of the initial part of the exhaust between the cylinder and the muffler as it wasn't clear which part of the exhaust system he was referring to. I wasn't being obtuse. They range from about 2 to 4 cm from a smallframe to a P200, respectively. People should just ask the questions they want answers to.

nate wrote:
Brooke wrote:
It varies from about 1.5 to 2.5cm.

Isn't that the answer you were looking for?

I don't think Brooke's comment was a disparagement against chrome in general, just some of the cheaper-made exhaust tips. I don't know if those are going to stand in the pantheon of quality any time soon. It was an honest answer to the question.
chris
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:07 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Nobody is asking the right question. It should be "why do you need an exhaust tip (which are useless chrome pieces anyway) when you don't have a scooter"? Buy the scooter first then the useless accessories. And don't come onto a new forum and ask an open ended question then get all pissy when people poke a little fun at birds and string. Besides we don't need our friends to think we are funny as long as we know we are funny. So there. I have been trying my hardest to not answer with a joke about Kevin K's mom pipe and I won't, I'll take the high road on that.

Love,
Chris

Derrick
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:52 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Lets talk about mud flaps.

Big bottoms, Big bottoms. Talk about mud flaps... my scooters got'm.

How big are your mud flaps?
MJ
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:02 am  Reply with quote
Noob

To Egan: I guess it doesn't matter which one you measure, unless it is a Sito Plus which the part description says it won't fit.

The fact that there is a "universal" muffler tip sold for scooters just lead me to believe that there was some general consistency in diameters.

To Nate: You are correct and I should have acknowledged Brooke's honest attempt at answering my question. So far, it is the only useable answer I have received.

To Brooke: My apologies to you. I shouldn't have dismissed your answer as I did. It is sometimes hard to find the sincerety amidst all the B.S..

To Chris: I stated earlier that the muffler tip in question is meant for a different mechanical beast. So, I don't have a scooter model to reference for size. And, I apologize to you and the forum for being "pissy", but, I didn't feel that my question was at all open-ended. It was a sincere inquiry with as much detail and explanation as I felt was necessary. If I put every detail into my original post that I have now shared, it would have been pages instead of paragraphs.

Brooke: Now knowing that I am looking for the muffler end diameter......does the 1.5 - 2.5cm still apply or the 2 - 4cm?? I tried to ask the question the best that I could in my original post.

Respectfully,
MJ

hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:25 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

This thread just sucked 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

I wave you fuckers.
Derrick
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:39 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

hungaryjack1 wrote:
This thread just sucked 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Yes. It sucks.
MJ
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:46 am  Reply with quote
Noob

good bye. sorry to waste your time. i guess i should have talked about flowers, swallows and string........like that isn't a waste of time!?!?
good riddens,
MJ