minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Any good way to cross the Minnesota River?
Raisin Hell
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:24 pm  Reply with quote
Training

I live in Minneapolis and work in Eagan. I'd love to scooter to work once in a while, but am terrified of all the highways crossing the MN River.

The closest thing to "reasonable" is Ford Parkway and then 35E, crossing the Mississippi twice to get to the south side of the MN River.

Are Hwy 55 and Hwy 77 really the only crossing points? No small roads somewhere? Are people comfortable crossing those bridges on scooters?

Thanks,

Lou.
nate
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:13 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

35E is a snap, and it's generally what I take when I'm in a hurry. Exit right off of Shepard, stay in that lane and turn onto 13 once you cross the river. The rain grooving is a bit disconcerting though- but I've never had issues with speed, as that's a 45mph interstate at that point anyways.

Other than that, your options are to keep going down shepard and then work your way up to either the High Bridge, Mendota, or Robert Street bridges.

Your proposed route is what I'd probably take- 35E to 13, 13 East to Wachtler, wactler south to Wentworth, wentworth to 149, and that ought to get you pretty close.

There really isn't a good "scooter friendly" bridge crossing the minnesota, so you have to get to the East/North side of the Mississippi to find a decent bridge crossing it.

That said, I usually take 55 nowadays because I'm lazy.
ron
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:50 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

I agree with Nate, 35E is the easiest and quickest, plus that right lane is an enter/exit lane, so you shouldn't have trouble staying in it for the 1/2 mile to hwy 13.

Other than that, you could take 7th Street east, then across the Smith Ave/High Bridge and take a right on Annapolis which turns into 13. If you REALLY don't 35E that might be the way to go but it'll take way longer.

Raisin Hell
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:51 am  Reply with quote
Training

Thanks, ron & nate.

I bought my scooter used from a fellow in Apple Valley, so I took Pilot Knob Road north to 13, to the 35E bridge, and then Shepard to Mississippi River Boulevard to the Ford Bridge to Minnehaha Pkwy to 50th to Lyndale. Kinda roundabout, but I did avoid 77--the thought of driving on that just scared me shitless the first time on a scooter! Even going 45-55 on Pilot Knob and 35E was pretty knuckle-whitening!

The MSC made me more confident on the scooter, but I don't think a 150cc is really made for highways, anyway.

I may end up driving my car to work, and then leave it in the garage and use the scooter for all my around-town stuff after work and on weekends.

nate
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:00 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

That route is pretty much exactly what I was proposing- it's not a bad run at all. Wear gear. The 35E bridge is only daunting the first couple of times.
scootervillain
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

It may freak the hell out of you at first, and it should. As you get used to the scooter and acclimated to the freeway hop it will become easier and more comfortable.
The next step will be to buy a faster scooter.

Matty
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:50 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

scootervillain wrote:

Now where might one find a faster scooter Bob? Does Vespa make a 200cc or 250cc scooter? I wonder where you could buy in Minneapolis?

scootervillain
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Matty wrote:
scootervillain wrote:

Now where might one find a faster scooter Bob? Does Vespa make a 200cc or 250cc scooter? I wonder where you could buy in Minneapolis?

Evel Keneivel woulda jumped that skinny little river. Let me check and see which upgrade provides me with the greatest profit before I answer. BTW my new office has Evel's autograph on one side of the door and Tony Stewart's on the other side....... Part of the RMB Friday night auto ride tour out of S'Ville.

Kevin K
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:22 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I wanna be there when you paint over the mural.
-K

nealaustin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:35 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Raisin Hell wrote:
Thanks, ron & nate.

I bought my scooter used from a fellow in Apple Valley, so I took Pilot Knob Road north to 13, to the 35E bridge, and then Shepard to Mississippi River Boulevard to the Ford Bridge to Minnehaha Pkwy to 50th to Lyndale. Kinda roundabout, but I did avoid 77--the thought of driving on that just scared me shitless the first time on a scooter! Even going 45-55 on Pilot Knob and 35E was pretty knuckle-whitening!

The MSC made me more confident on the scooter, but I don't think a 150cc is really made for highways, anyway.

I took that 77 bridge back after taking my MC test. Shitless is the right word for it. On the way there I took the 169 bridge it was better due to the same type of on-off lane, but not much. There is a foot bridge in Bloomington but pushing your scooter for a 1/2 mile up and down the walkway isn't fun. There is talk about getting the old cedar road bridge redone. but for now parts of the roadway have been removed to keep people from crossing it.

ron
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:27 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

I like taking the freeway more and more. I put more freeway miles on the ET4 than residential.

Everyone's going the same direction (albeit quickly), just gotta pay attention to people merging and changing lanes - still going the same direction. No sudden stops, cars pulling out in from of you, pedestrians, bicycles, stop signs, sudden or sharp turns, etc.

The only things that freak me out a bit are big bumps and vehicles flying by at 90. You get used to the rest.

nate
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

On further reflection, I'd ride the 55/110 highway all day, rather than the 35E bridge. I dislike that rain grooving. Small tires + a bit of wobble = not that fun.
Stumpy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:03 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The rail grooving is good practice though. That's exactly how my scoot felt when the cotter pin fell out of my castle nut and I lost my rear wheel.

I kept looking around the road wondering what was causing that wobbling, it felt like going over the old metal grate bridge on Hennepin and then the ass end just dropped.

So if you feel this sensation and the road looks normal, you might want to pull over and take a look at your wheels.

ron
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:22 am  Reply with quote
Permit

nate Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:01 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On further reflection, I'd ride the 55/110 highway all day, rather than the 35E bridge. I dislike that rain grooving. Small tires + a bit of wobble = not that fun.

--- Yeah, I suppose I would feel very differently about it on those skinny little shifter tires...

nate
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:07 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

It's not the size of the tires, it's how you ride.

And apparently, I'm not very good at it.