PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Anyone read the Stella speed board?

What do you think if it?

Lots of helpful info?
Jeff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:38 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Don't make me laugh Derrick, you know it's 99.9% crap. There are some interesting tidbits from time to time though.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I've only had my Stella for two months, so my impression may be inaccurate because I can't spot crap as well as others...

I read the board a lot and find some of the information really interesting, and some of it totally crap. Considering the rate at which the guys on that board melt their pistons, it's probably worth not trusting their technical advice too much; but I find it's a pretty good, albeit roundabout, way to learn a lot about what's happening and what can be adjusted. Since I don't currently plan to kit my bike in any way, it's purely for abstract interest that I read about all the ways people are kitting/improving/killing their stellas.

Jeff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Crap may be unfair. It's more like the blind leading the blind. The dumbass cycle is in full effect over there so take any advice with a grain or two of salt. It's the only place you can read about people putting 5 speed transmissions in Italian shopping bikes though...
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Jeff wrote:
It's the only place you can read about people putting 5 speed transmissions in Italian shopping bikes though...

Yes, yes, I've posted in the 5-speed transmission thread, I can be sucked in too. But you have to admit that, if the 5-speed actually delivers, it would be pretty great to be able to ride with traffic on Hiawatha without being near WOT the whole time...

Brad
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:41 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Is Stella Speed anything like the yahoo bajaj group, where they install direct hits kits, shave the head, put on whoppin big air filters connected to dryer hoses from Lowes, and then bolt on 1/2 of a Yamaha V-Start exhaust to get 68 mph while sounding like the "Ride of the Valkries"?

They still haven't got the manifold for a 24/24 worked out yet. I measured a V-Star exhaust - I can't figure out how they got it to fit.

Nobody melts pistons on the Bajaj board, but you need a lot of nylocks to keep the kick stand on.

jsyx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:30 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Last edited by jsyx on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

dmarquis
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:30 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Just my 2 cents here. 2 cycles will produce more power as they run leaner... With that being said... Better to be rich, that your bike being dead. I do think that kits can be installed and run without any problems as long as you jet correctly and don't get too power hungry. Running rich over lean is the key... I think a lot of people are pushing too hard on the 2 cycle end of things trying to get more power instead of making sure that enuf oil is getting to where it needs to get.

Like I said, my 2 cents...
Dave
Fball #117
Matty
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:30 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:

Lots of helpful info?

It's the best place to go for bad info!

Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:40 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I have never seen the Stella Speed site. But, I have heard a lot of really bad things about it.

I have learned a few things about scooters and the people who drive them over the years. One is that people generally wreck their scooters. Sounds like Stella speed is a good place to start that process.

Who am I though? Just a bitter old man.
Brad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:40 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
Who am I though? Just a bitter old man.

Oh, like I've never followed you and watched your rear wheel lock during a jetting experiment, you bitter old man : )

There's just a lot of bad info out there and you get what you pay for (free advice and all). It's fun to screw around with the scooter, but leave it stock if you don't have the cash, patience or talent to fix your own bodges.

Always keep one running scooter around for those nice days. Heck, they only cost about $100/yr to license and insure.

JoeP
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:32 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Brad wrote:
Is Stella Speed anything like the yahoo bajaj group, where they install direct hits kits, shave the head, put on whoppin big air filters connected to dryer hoses from Lowes, . . .

In defense of the the Bajaj yahoo group, Mr. BajajUSA himself, Al Kolvites, makes claim of his bike mods: direct hits, a shaved head, and disabled TRICS (=unretarded timing at less than half throttle). All this in an effort to eke out as much power as possible, and proof in having done so, albeit voiding warranty. Also, there is a balanced discussion about the validity of increasing air intakes.

Regardless, I've always wondered why if one wanted more speed that he or she wouldn't just buy a motorcycle ? (Heresy?) I wondered, that is, until I installed direct hits on my 02 Chetak and got 7 more MPH top end. I'd get the POC pipe, too, if it weren't so freakin' loud. But for now I'll draw the line at unproven dryer hoses.

I'll let you all know when I've wrecked my scooter, as I've already started down the path. It's only a matter of time . . ..
Brad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:20 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thus we're back to Matt's 250 Ninja. For three grand new you get a 300 lb, liquid-cooled, disc brakes and a six-speed. It gets 70 mpg

http://www.obairlann.net/~reaper/motorcycle/ninja/10k-report.html

Choosing a scooter or motorcycle isn't rational, but that's alright with me.

BTW, I've also installed a direct hits kit and disabled the TRICS. I don't get much more at top, but the Chetak no longer bogs in the mid-range. I might try upjetting the main a notch...

jsyx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

well on yer way to being chastised...
long before you wreck yer cylinder.
i'm with it.