minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Bob's Blowout- How come?
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm still creeped out by the story of that close call Bob had. It reminded me of how close we all are to the edge.

When I first joined this group, a scooterist blew a front tire going only about 30. He was lucky. He went over the bars, broke a wrist and got some road rash. The machine was a mess too. Others have had disasters as well. My P blew a rear tire on the 2005 rally but only at 20 mph-it's a strange, sickening and unsettling experience at any speed.

Bob, did you ever find a direct cause for the freeway blowout? Tire failure, nail, over or under inflated, or road hazard? What will you do differently? Does this mean no more freeway play for you?

The tire I blew was one of those bad-batch wsw SAVAs. it seems like those meaty Continentals with the fat white sidewalls (ala Dave Lee's creations) are well worth the price. They're better, right? I think I need to ditch all the rest of my Savas!

I'm still enjoying the guilty pleasure of the enhanced performance and intense road feel of OVER-INFLATED tires, I'm usually riding on 25-30 psi but I know the time will come when one of those Palenty-Potholes will rack me up. Advice?

I've come to believe that the biggus buckus BITUMO SHOCKS on the P have saved my ass from the ravages of road hazards. They absorb so much abuse and keep you upright and on intact tires. Highly recommended if you can afford 'em.

I know everyone who has ridden a while knows this, but if you are new, be sure to ride down one automobile tire track or the other, NOT the middle of the road (where the sunken manholes, oil slicks and other hazards lurk).

Thanks to all,
it's a flawed but quite delicious group we have here!
Mojo Willy
Egan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:06 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Probably witchcraft. Or too much speed cuz' I heard that scooterbike goes 125,036 MPHers.

scootervillain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:30 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

There was a hole in the tube. Not too big but it got flat in a hurry. I suspect I was a bit under-inflated. Stephen had mentioned it to me a couple days prior and I kind of forgot to check it out. I changed the tube the next day. First thing I did was jump on Hwy 100 for a full speed run. Gotta get back on that horse.....

Kevin K
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Flats happen. I had a tire go flat in the garage and found out that the new tube was just plain shitty. My blowout experience (same tire) happened on account of a nail. While I could have just patched the tube, I opted to replace it.

I am SO glad that I never experienced the shit that Bob had to deal with--and I don't want to!
A blowout at 30 is enough excitement for me, thankyouverymuch.
-K

chris
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

All this blowout talk makes me want to go to the airport and tap my feet. Sometimes you just have an unbeatable urge to put a dick in your mouth.

Love,
Chris

Matty
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:00 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I think it was an advertising stunt for their "Blow Out Moving Sale"