minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Rebuilding a '64 VNB 125 engine
DonaldDouchebag
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:07 pm  Reply with quote
Training

I have a few questions.

Should the flywheel be replaced if it has bent and/or mangled vanes? Will it still work if they're all bent? shoudl I try to hammer them straight? If it's shot would anyone recommend the electronic upgrade kit? (My stator is ruined so I'd need a new one of those either way.)

My piston and cylinder look nearly perfect with no pitting on the piston head and no ridge at the top of the cylinder. i think I'm just going to hone the cylinder a little to break the glaze and slap both back in. Gow can I measure my piston to see what rings I need? I assume it's the stock piston size but I'd like to be sure. Also, the wrist pin has a teeny pit of play when the piston is pushed side to side. I don't know how much play is typical or if I should just replace the wristpin either way.

Thanks in advance, chums.
P125 Josh
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 pm  Reply with quote
Training

I just rebuilt the same engine, the parts you mentioned were ok on mine though. I had rear axle and bearing problems on mine. I don't think the side to side play is an issue as the cylinder will guide everything once in place. Piston rings should be standard to the year and engine. As far as your flywheel goes I don't think you have a problem. Provided you aren't missing pieces, things should be fairly balanced. With any luck the fins are still capable of circulating air. I think hammering would result in breakage so I don't recommend it. I kept the points ignition on mine. Basically don't replace anything you don't have to, and keep the good Italian pieces. These are my opinions after farting around and doing a complete rebuild on mine over the last 9 months.
Most of these questions have already been answered here: http://scooterbbs.com/
Here is another great resource:
http://www.scooterhelp.com/

Matty
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:46 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

How the hell did they all get bent? Wouldn't hammer it then they'll all be broken.

Depends on what you want to spend, new stator and flywheel is around $160 the kit with harness and everything is like $250.

P125 Josh
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:36 pm  Reply with quote
Training

How the hell did they all get bent?

I was wondering the same thing.

DonaldDouchebag
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:31 pm  Reply with quote
Training

P125 Josh wrote:
How the hell did they all get bent?

I was wondering the same thing.

I have no effing idea. Looks like some dum-dum enjoyed really throwing 'er into the turns or something.

Okay, my next issue. I notice the keyway (crankshaft short side)on the clutch side is pretty sloppy. The little woodruff key was mangled. Do I just put a new woodruff in and go to town? I won't even be able to get the thrust washer off to get to the seal without gringing the ridge on the shaft.

Any words of wisdom?
DonaldDouchebag
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:39 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Matty wrote:
How the hell did they all get bent? Wouldn't hammer it then they'll all be broken.

Depends on what you want to spend, new stator and flywheel is around $160 the kit with harness and everything is like $250.

Money is no object for I am a man of means and untold riches.
Matty
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:39 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

DonaldDouchebag wrote:

Any words of wisdom?

How about an engine in better shape. Would be cheaper in the long run, who knows how mangled the inside is if it's that bad on the outside.

I think I know of a rebuilt 4 speed 125cc VNB engine, probably the same as yours just with an added gear, and not fucked up.

Less than $500 for sure, but don't know an exact price.

DonaldDouchebag
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:57 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Matty wrote:
DonaldDouchebag wrote:

Any words of wisdom?

How about an engine in better shape. Would be cheaper in the long run, who knows how mangled the inside is if it's that bad on the outside.

I think I know of a rebuilt 4 speed 125cc VNB engine, probably the same as yours just with an added gear, and not fucked up.

Less than $500 for sure, but don't know an exact price.

Mine is a 4spd. I have it all apart and all the gears and everything else look pretty good. I don't notice any serious wear on anything or any broken parts. No other issues beyond the gnarly keyway.

I might get back to you if I have future problems, though. Thanks sir!