minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  Classifieds  ~  Is anyone on here familiar with repairing Yamaha Zuma's???
andyboon
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:04 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

I have had my 2003 Zuma for around 5,000 miles now and before I invest another chuck of change into repairing it at my nearest shop, I thought I would inquire with the Minnescoota crowd first...

Problem: I removed my exhaust to understand how it connected as I was thinking of buying an upgraded exhaust. I was able to reattach the exhaust but after subsiquent riding the two bolts attaching to the engine loosened up. I tightened them up numerous times last summer until eventually... I cracked the bolt hole on one side of the engine by over tightening (I'm guessing). Now, I can only attach one of the 2 required bolts and needless to say I'm no longer getting a tight fit and my scooter is loud as hell! I can tell that the O-Ring between the exhaust and the engine fell out also, leaving a 1-2mm gap.

I was told by two different shops that the only solution is to order a replacement engine and to reattach the exhaust on the new engine. They explained that since the engine is aluminum the bolt hole cannot just be welded back in place. I'm looking at alot of money for the engine plus labor... I don't want to get rid of the scooter... Any ideas???

Brooke
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The two bolts that hold the exhaust to the cylinder, with the O-ring in between, can be tightened sufficiently without the crush gasket. Use some copper gasket sealant (read the directions) and it should be fine without it. If that is tight and aligned well the one bolt on the back shouldn't be the cause for it being loud. It will not be good for the exhaust in terms of stability and staying tight at the front, but it's not why it'd be loud in itself. That said, I just saw an example of an engine case repair of the same order. You can rig a solution with some custom bracket fabrication. A peice of metal, a drill, two bolts, nuts and lock and flat washers should do the trick.

andyboon wrote:
I have had my 2003 Zuma for around 5,000 miles now and before I invest another chuck of change into repairing it at my nearest shop, I thought I would inquire with the Minnescoota crowd first...

Problem: I removed my exhaust to understand how it connected as I was thinking of buying an upgraded exhaust. I was able to reattach the exhaust but after subsiquent riding the two bolts attaching to the engine loosened up. I tightened them up numerous times last summer until eventually... I cracked the bolt hole on one side of the engine by over tightening (I'm guessing). Now, I can only attach one of the 2 required bolts and needless to say I'm no longer getting a tight fit and my scooter is loud as hell! I can tell that the O-Ring between the exhaust and the engine fell out also, leaving a 1-2mm gap.

I was told by two different shops that the only solution is to order a replacement engine and to reattach the exhaust on the new engine. They explained that since the engine is aluminum the bolt hole cannot just be welded back in place. I'm looking at alot of money for the engine plus labor... I don't want to get rid of the scooter... Any ideas???