minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Can it be as easy as they say?
dmarquis
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:45 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I was wondering if anyone has done this heart transplant.

http://www.scomo.net/product_info.php/products_id/2812

Dave
AFB #117
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:04 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yes, I have done it.

No, it is not as ez as they make it sound. Think about it. If they said it was hard what would happen to their sales? It is NEVER that simple. Just ask someone who has installed a "bolt on kit".

I have always said, the biggest winners in the scooter business is the parts suppliers. They love it when people buy old crappy Vespars on e-pay. Why? because "anyone can work on them" - you just need to buy the parts from them!

Ka-ching!
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

What would you put it in?

dmarquis
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:35 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Matty wrote:
What would you put it in?

I was think about putting it my atomic fireball maybe in a year or 2, or getting a used stella or vespa.....

Dave
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:53 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

dmarquis wrote:
I was think about putting it my atomic fireball maybe in a year or 2, or getting a used stella or vespa.....

I'd just buy a running P200 for that price. I just can't see spending over $2k, esp. if you have to pay someone to install it, to get an extra 5 maybe 10 mph.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:54 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

ya think I would only get 5-10 mph out of it? I though it would be a bit quicker as it is 50cc larger....

Dave
morgan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:54 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

i've done the LML150 into a 70's Vespa transplant and Derrick is right, it's a lot of work. if you're looking at putting it in an older vespa, you'll have to rewire the whole bike, and as long as your doing that you'd better recable it, and as long as your doing that you'd better redo the fuel system, and as long as you doing that should you repaint... etc, etc... it can really mushroom...

i suppose it'd be easier to put in a Stella, you'd have newer cables and you could use the same wiring harness, but it's still a ton of work and what do you really get out of it? a "not-quite-P200" and 5-10 more MPH on the top end? the LML150 in the Stella is a great engine already. i dunno, that'd be a lot of work for what IMO isn't that much better a bike.

at least if you put it in an old Vespa it'd be "Vintage" and you could become a vintage snob! that'd be something! (just kidding...) but that's 2 or 3 or 4 times the work depending on the condition of the old bike.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:02 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thanks all for your helpfull ideas and thoughts. Man I just love this board!

Dave
nate
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:05 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

How tough would it be to drop a P200 into a Stella? By the time I fixed up the P's bodywork and realized that Disc Brakes would be nice, it'd almost be less of a headache to buy the Stella and sell the engine that's in it. Or put the smaller engine in the P, for added fun.

You could lave the gearbox cover in place. You'd just have to do the brake and clutch, and the bodging at the electrical box would be the tough part- I don't know how different it is.

Shiny Paint and not having to deal with the headaches of a brake upgrade- worth $2900? Probably not. But it'd be fun if a stella fell into my lap.
scootervillain
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Expectations eventually run rampant for the scooter owner, and Derrick will agree that about 2/3rds or more of them wish that their bike would go ''about 5 mph faster.'' We hear it all the time.
When Derrick and I opened Scooterville in '02 we started seeing P200's crawling out of every barn, shed, and basement in the 7 county area. They'd get tuned up and sent back out into the world. We test rode a whole bunch of them and the performance from one to the next was remarkably significant. After a tune-up one of us would go for a little test ride and within a couple blocks you could tell if it was a screamer, or a dog.
One of us would get back and say, "you've got to try this one!!!"
When the Stellas came out in 2003 we noticed how incredibly even they were in performance. None had an apparent edge like some P200s would.
So, here comes the exception to the rule. This falls firmly into the "do as I say, not as I do" category. We've had a Stella hanging from the ceiling at Betty's Bikes & Buns since the beginning of the year. It's been great exposure for the product but lately we've been up against the supply vs. demand curve and unable to keep Stellas on the sales floor. So, in order to have a bike for show and test rides, we pulled our display Stella out of Bettys
today and got her prepped.
I had one of those days that can only be cured by a scooter ride home. I slapped a dealer plate on HI HO Silver and hit the road. This is a 2003 model that we had never set up. This was the first time it had ever been run.
I cut through downtown, intending to cross north Mpls on my way to Golden Valley. On my way up First Ave I missed my turn on N 7th Street and ended up deciding to hop on the sane lane on 394 out to Hwy 100. I take that route plenty on my P200 because I can get an indicated 65-68 mph WFO.
Here I was on Stella, showing 8 miles on the odometer.
I've had a Fireball out on the interstate indicating about 65mph with a bit left
in the throttle. Denitely faster than any stock Stella I'd been on.
Maiden voyage. Showing 62,63 mph as I headed west on the 394 HOV lane. As I turned north on Hwy 100, I looked down to catch about 66mph indicated. Faster than I'd ever travelled on a stock Stella.
I don't know if I've found a hidden fire breather, or if the heat is playing tricks with my vision. I tip the scales at about a buck sevety-five. Any stock Stellas kicking out this kind of top end?
Egan
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:39 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The scooter likely has an image problem from hanging around all those motorsicles. Or it has a tank full of jetfuel coffee and it'll settle after that tank is fried. These are just guesses mind you.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:56 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thanks Scootervillian for you interesting story. Man you must be brave to get on 394.... I have been tempted to ride on HWY 36 here in north st. Paul as a short cut across town to MNPLS. I love the fire ball that I got from you guys....

Dave
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:57 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I've seen 62mph indicated once. But I get nervous about being WOT for any time, so I usually top out around 55-57mph indicated with a little left on the gas. Seems like on mine, getting from 0-55 is pretty easy, and 55-60 is really difficult - takes a lot of work, and I've never stayed WOT for more than a few seconds, so I don't know if I could get higher than that.

Of course, I hear that P200 speedos tend to underestimate, and Stella speedos tend to overestimate. So it's likely even Betty's Stella isn't getting too close to the P200 top speeds...

Jeff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:01 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The speedo was probably just messed up more than most. Most Stella owners find that their speedos are 10% optimistic when checked via GPS. On mine when the needle is buried I am really going 64 which is plenty fast.

Every scooter I have ever been on has had issues with optimistic speedo syndrome, I have never ever seen one under.
fnirt
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:08 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Speaking of the ever present need for "5-10 more on the top end"... As a former Vino rider who went to a Stella, that's a top end need you'll never satisfy. The Vino topped out at 37. And if had just a little more power I could have made the lights all the way down 38th...

Now that I have the Stella (and I love it, don't get me wrong!) if I had a little more power I could <insert ridiculous need here>...

For me I think there is always a yearning for a "little bit more" -- and if the need is strong enough, it's time to look at motorcycles. Personally I ride mostly for the "tooling around" fun of it, not the speed of it.

But if I had a motorcycle, I'd want it to go a little faster, too. :)

(Disclaimer: This post not intended to raise argument(s) about motorcycles vs scooters, political parties, preference of creamy over chunky peanut butter, etc.)

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger