minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  DIY on DVD
Brad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:39 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

One of the guys from the Scoot BBS sent me a dvd of the DIY (Do it yourself) episodes where they "restore" a Vespa Sprint. Not perfect quality (the sound is a hair off), but interesting.

They purchase a solid looking, running sprint and go through it. If anyone can copy DVD's, I'd be game to lend it out.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dclr/episode/0,2046,DIY_19137_35642,00.html

nate
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:13 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I could probably provide you with a way to obtain a copy of that disc for archival purposes- not trying to infringe upon any copyrights, etc.

Of course, when planning safe data backups, off-site backups are a must- no sense in having your backup located in the same place as the original, in case of fire or other tragic mishap. Multiple backups in multiple locations would probably be the best solution, I think. So maybe we could come up with a way to preserve this DVD for you, in as many locations as people would volunteer to be repositories of said data.

My costs for providing archival copies are competitive, and my vault rental charges are nominal, so feel free to get me the disc somehow and I could help you out.

Lev. 15:17
Brad
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:50 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I could use a copy for a backup - never know when I might drop a laptop on the original during transport.

I have the disc at work. I'll drop you an email to arrange a drop (same place as last time?)

Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:16 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Gosh, my grandpa just gave me this little fire-safe and I have no idea what to put in it. I'd love to hold a backup copy for you, let me know what I should do to get that. Thanks!
nate
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:35 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'll be serious here for a moment- Paper can take heat of up to 350F Degrees before there's a problem, whereas media (floppies, CDs, DVDs) can be damaged at heat of only 125F! Most home firesafes are designed with paper in mind, so don't plan on backing up important data to media (all your digital pictures, documents, etc) and put them in your standard fire safe- it'd be a false sense of security! It'd be a terrible time to find that out, too.

They sell 'media safes' that are a bit more armored and can contain the heat a bit better, if you have need for that.

Sorry for that totally uncalled for PSA- back to being a smartass.

Lev. 15:17
Lisa
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Actually that is really a good point. We keep several backups here at work, one in a safe and one that goes home with somebody on Friday afternoons. I never thought to question the safe though (the safe is in another safe, but it still might not be safe).

lkt