minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Enough Of The Fucking Around!
Matty
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:20 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Becky W. wrote:
Grumpy's pays bands/DJ's out of their own tills, and everyone else is volunteering their services, time, skills, equipment and goods.

i wasn't going respond but need to set some facts straight. And I don't know why this is even an issue. I'll also point out it was Screw City that told us to start charging! So beat up Rob and Chris not us.

Yes first year at grumpy's they took care of it, that rally was free. The next year I booked the soundman, I paid the bands (except JEREMYs band because they are crappyheads), I tipped the doorman.

So no more on this subject. I'm off to register for the Denver rally...

Egan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:37 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

And t-shirts and Patches and Bowling and Printing and Food and...
There are alot of things that cost money but to put everything out here for everyone (people who and are'nt) involved to bicker over just makes it a spaz fest. So please feel free to come, have fun, meet some people, and ride.
This board kind of causes these discussions and if maor people would come to more than one meeting the issues could be resolved with out wasting good cyberspace.

Gotta go...MAYHEM!
Matty
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:02 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Egan wrote:
Gotta go...MAYHEM!

You're going to Denver? So that means Lisa, Amy and I have to ignore you in a whole different city!

Brad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:15 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
just makes it a spaz fest.

Scooter Du 7, Spaz Fest!
Sgt. Bhutt Load
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:15 am  Reply with quote
Training

Wow, first thing I ever read by Bek that I actually agree with.
Well said...
Matt, lighten up man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Sgt. Bhutt Load wrote:
Wow, first thing I ever read by Bek that I actually agree with.
Well said...
Matt, lighten up man

The same could be said for Becky.

Listen, I am one of the founders of and sit on the Board of Directors of a nonprofit. Our biggest fundraiser is CONvergence (www.convergence-con.org), a three-day science fiction convention that brings in guests from around the world, puts on a kickass masquerade, concert with local bands, DJed dance that goes until 5-6am, a 24-hour movie room, an artshow, etc. We have been one of the fastest-growing sci-fi conventions in the US (started with 1400 people in 1999, we hit 2400 and change this year), so people like us enough to keep coming.

However, we certainly have our detractors. "You're too big!" say some. "You're not literary-focused enough!" say others. What we say is, you're free to either volunteer to help out, or run your own convention. There are four amateur-run sci-fi cons in town every year, each attended by the people who dig that sort of thing. Most of us nerds attend two, some hit three, and there are crazies that do all four.

Becky, if you want a smaller, leaner rally, I don't think a single person would object to you starting one. I'd be excited about it and certainly want to attend. But SD was my first rally, and I'm happy with what it is, and happy to volunteer to help it run.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dmarquis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:41 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I didn't know you were on the convergence committee..... What's your real name?

Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:54 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm one of the 3926539 Jeremys in the Regulars.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kennylibido
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:42 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Seeing as I've been in Chicago for seven months, I'm sorry I haven't been able to participate. However, if one of you mooks can email me the route and is willing to run the route with me on the Friday before the big run, I'd be happy to block on Saturday.

And... If you don't need additional blockers on Saturday and someone sends me a rockin' slow-ride route and there are some folks willing to help with blocking, I'd be willing to lead the slow-ride.

Let me know your wishes.
Jeff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Whew.

Sorry I didn't get in on this earlier.

Bek if you want to have that kind of rally go for it. You haven't even organized a sucessful ride this year. Put your money where your mouth is woman. Instead of bitching and moaning do something, anything. Maybe I'll come, if it's cool enough.

Until you deliver something besides whistful nostalgia I'll stick with the plan that has served us pretty well for the last 5 years.
Becky W.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:40 am  Reply with quote
Training

Ooops. I made people "think" again.

Jeff, I'm sorry you take the questions I raised so personally. You're a smart guy, I've met you and like you, so I'm surprised that the only way you could interpret my post was as some kind of personal insult (and reply with the same). Get out of the sandbox and realize this is only discussion, information exchange and discourse, all of which I attempted to conduct in a civil way. (Re-read my post and see how I tried to respectfully preface it). I would expect the same from you.

I've organized some vintage rides that you never even attended, so how would you know what a "successful" ride is? You could have helped make those rides even more successful if you had shown up. Then you come on here and slam me for not "doing anything"? I think *you're* the one that needs to "put your money where your mouth is, woman." I'm shocked at you, Jeff. I figured you'd have a little more decorum, especially since I've always respected you - PLUS rescued you and your VBB's sorry slow ass from the Parka Run and hauled you home. You're welcome, by the way.

My only intention was to ask rally organizers to explain how and why (and IF) some of the components of the rally they so desperately need help with are thought to be so necessary, and used my past experiences as context. It'll always be wistful nostalgia, of course! But much of it is also a valuable lesson for the present. Most people are usually AFRAID of processes they don't understand (especially from the past) and even more frightened of things they don't LIKE, or WANT, or are OUTSIDE of a "formula that's worked for 'x' number of years" or worked for others. (Like Screw City, whoever they are.)

I simply don't get people who INSIST upon having a rally with all this......"stuff" (marketing, sponsorship, press coverage, high costs) then turn around and whine about not having enough help. If you don't have enough help, then cut down on the need for labor! Simple as that. I offered help in a couple of different areas, and it sounds like I wasn't the only one that didn't hear anything back for weeks.

For a bunch of intelligent, funny folks with decent social skills who risk their lives on two tiny wheels all summer, I expected little bit more intrepid, analytical and MAYBE even CIVIL chatter about this. ("433" your perspective is interesting, and appreciated, but still didn't explain anything).

"I think Pringles initial intention was to make tennis
balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to
show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But
Pringles is a laid back company. They said "Fuck it.
Cut em up."
mokele mbembe
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:45 am  Reply with quote
Permit

thisthreadcracksmeup!

Ritchie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:58 am  Reply with quote
Permit

This is just getting old!If these issues bother you so much Becky,why did you not address them at the rally meeting you attended?You may not like the fact that sponsorship,press releases,art & flyers & registration have become a common part of scooter rallies,but they have.I couldn't give a fuck about these things either but unfortunately it's stuff that needs to be done.So i guess we can either sit around and bitch about what we don't like or we can just get on with it and make the most out of what will probualy be the last DU.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:57 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Becky W. wrote:
I simply don't get people who INSIST upon having a rally with all this......"stuff" (marketing, sponsorship, press coverage, high costs)

"High costs"? $10 is "high"? For a weekend of fun? Good lord, if you are having trouble scraping together $10 for a weekend, you have bigger problems.

Quote:
("433" your perspective is interesting, and appreciated, but still didn't explain anything).

I was just giving my perspective. Basically, you're the only one (publically) complaining about an event that gets more and more popular, so you're waaaaay in the minority.
GP Kevo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:55 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Matty wrote:

Again it's not 1991 anymore, and you can't compare a small camping rally 15 years ago with a rally with over 150 people...

Err, we used to get 150 - 200 scooters at our rallies. And more people. Most of the attendees rode their scooters to the rally. The Pacesetters rode to our rally (MPLS to Madison, WI). We had scooterists from as far away as Toronto, New York, D.C., Atlanta, and Winnipeg at our "small camping" rallies. We set up a campsite, booked a venue with live bands, and had scenic rides on Saturday and Sunday. There was no schedule, itinerary, or what have you (excepting for the venue events). We charged for entry into the venues and for camping. In return, scooterists had a weekend long party, and a couple of optional scenic rideouts, and a challenging ride to and from the rally.

Kevin, nee - MADASS