minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  ET4 VIN codes
ann
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:21 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Hello fellow scooterists,

business first: the insurance company is saying my 2002 et4 is really a 2001 according to my VIN, does anyone know anything about this stuff? should i call the dealer?

sick details: ok so i was in a wicked accident...guy in a van "didn't see me" and turned left into me...T-boned...his van actually hit the left side of my body and scooter: broke my left leg with some possible knee damage, broke my right wrist with possible more screwy hand/wrist damage..major (high gross out factor) wound on my right thigh... concussion...the whole deal...i'm super lucky i got away with only minor brain injury (slowed processing will speed back up to normal) and hopefully no permanent structural damage. Yes i was wearing a helmet. scared the crap out of me. I'm kind of glad that it was the et4 and not my sweet p200 that bit the dust, though at this point i can't say if i'll be getting back on the horse or not.

anyway i'm doing ok considering and may even come to a rally event since the accident actually changed my plans and I'll be in town for it. now if i can just get my dad to paint those ghost flames on my wheelchair...!!

thanks for any VIN advice!!

ann
nate
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:50 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Glad you're up and around, Ann! Hope your recovery is a full one.

I just called Scooterworks and they don't have the VIN breakdown by year for the ET series- and Motoprimo isn't answering right now. But I think you'll have to dig that up through the dealer, unfortunately.
nate
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Ya know, now that I think about it- vespa cocked up their VIN stamping for one of their years! They sent out a letter to my parents.

(time passes, in which I call my parents...)

My parents have 2002 ET4s, and they got this letter, which I submitted to 2stroke buzz awhile ago.

Basically, I think the 9/10th digits in a VIN indicate year- Vespa forgot to advance them that year. So the insurance company looks at the VIN and rightfully assumes it's a 2001.

http://www.2strokebuzz.com/mt/2sblog/archives/003449.php

I can't find the docket in nhtsa.gov, but I'm thinking you're affected by this. (They didn't sell the ET in the states in 2001, I don't think.)
amy_irene
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:38 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Ann, I'm so sorry about your accident, It's terrible. I hope you have a speedy, 100% recovery soon--and I look forward to seeing you at some point this weekend, if you are feeling up to it!
ann
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:00 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

nate and amy,

thanks...i'm going to try and contact vespa to figure it all out...its probably not much difference...but...

thanks for you well wishes too!

ann