minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  Events  ~  Life after Skooter Du? Duluth Run meeting
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:24 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hi all,

So everybody's gearing up for the Skooter Du, but unfortunately I'm barely going to be able to participate, if at all. Brad will be unable to attend at all. So we're taking up the reins to organize a Duluth Run for either the weekend before Labor Day (Aug 27-28) or the weekend after (Sept 10-11). We'd like to choose the weekend that gets us maximum participation.

We're going to meet after this coming week's TNR (Tuesday Night Ride, for those of you who aren't up on the evolution of acronyms) over at Betty's. I did a poll a few weeks back on the dates, and with three for one and four for the other, and a few who said both are fine, it's not really conclusive.

Obviously, all the energy goes into Skooter Du for now, but when the hangover wears off Tuesday evening, join us for the TNR and help decide the plans for the Duluth Run!

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:26 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

And hey, I've now got my permit on the board! And I got there without a bunch of late-night filler posts like somebody else we all know on this board...

Matty
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:29 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Not to compete but the Sept. 10th is Wheels and Wings in Osceola. Always a cool time and the scooter catagory is pretty slim so someone is assured to win. And it's cool to be holding up 50+ Harleys while going up hill on the way home..

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/CustomPage_7274.ncm

some_dude
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:04 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

For anyone who has not been there...

Wheels & wings is a very cool event. If you're into internal combustion it's all there.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

If people who want to go on the Duluth Run also want to go to the Wheels & Wings event, then we'll need to go with the August date; but of course, it's only a conflict if anybody who's planning on going to the one also wants to go to the other. I assume most of the people who want to go to Duluth are on Stellas, and no Stella is likely to win the scooter category at a show, unless it's owned by a guy named Kent and changes the sunrise/sunset times for the surrounding area...

Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:30 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm a vintage girl but my scoot wouldn't be in the running either. I would love to go anyway though if there's a group interested in heading there. It might be a good vintage run.
nate
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The competition last year in the 'other' category was my VNB, John B's lammy, and Matt's super.
As the reigning titleholder of "Best 'other'" vehicle at Osceola, I feel the need to inform you that the competition is wide open, as I will not be attending again. So this is really "show up and you'll probably win, because nobody else does". Makes for a neat plaque and a funny story. And a set of black eyes if you decide to confront the harley guys, I'd imagine.
Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:05 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh then I for sure have to go! The only potential conflict is that it is the same day as my ex-husband's wedding. Oh wait, I'm not invited! (I am happy for him though).

I'd like to run to Duluth too sometime, but probably not as the only vintage scoot. Roadside breakdowns are only fun when there are a lot of them.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Lisa wrote:
I'd like to run to Duluth too sometime, but probably not as the only vintage scoot. Roadside breakdowns are only fun when there are a lot of them.

We certainly don't want to exclude vintage bikes! It would be great to have some extra class along - you'd show us all up on style. And I bet we'd all be patient for a breakdown - especially if it made us all feel better about our less stylish bikes...

Brad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:22 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm back from the shore! Man, they drink a lot of beer in New Jersey. It's like a byob State Fair.

I'll be at the Duluth planning/discussion meet at Betty's after the Tuesday night ride. Heck, all kids events are over for the summer so I'm going on the Tuesday night ride also.

fnirt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:00 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Not sure if I can make the Duluth run work for my schedule (esp if it's in FIVE days time?) but I'll be on the Tuesday ride as well as bringin' the laptop with loads of mapping software to Bettie's so I can try and help plan the route, at least.

(Hey look! That's one whole sentence!)

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:06 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey fnirt, thanks for the help. The earlier of the two possible dates is 12 days out, not 5. Of course by tomorrow night it will be 11...

Brad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
Matt: Not to compete but the Sept. 10th is Wheels and Wings in Osceola.

Wheels and Wings is from 8-4pm. If we got an early enough start, we could stop there to check it out on the way up to Superior/Duluth. Osceola is the St. Croix crossing from MN 95 to Wisc 35.

Brad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:32 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I checked with Indianhead Campground in Duluth.
http://indianpointcampground.com/home.html

They have group campsites available, $17 to rent plus $10 per tent per night. They are located by the Duluth Zoo off of Highway23. The tent sites have picnic tables, fire ring and grilling area.

If I end up going alone, I'm renting a room and getting a thick steak!

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:40 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah, sounds good - but I'll be staying in a motel with my wife and daughter. And that thick steak sounds great!