minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Dual Battery
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:19 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick and/or any peeps in the know,

So, the 6V system on my Lammy does not charge the battery. I can only get about 30-35 illuminated miles out of the battery after which I'd be asking for a ticket for not having head or tail lights.

My solution is to install a second battery in the tool box along with a switch that would allow me to toggle between them.

I've posted an illustration of the setup on my webby at:

http://www.jamiekarlin.com/lambretta/dualbattery.jpg

My big question is, am I asking for trouble by not having another switch down at the Ground end of the equation? Is there any current returned through the frame/battery tray where the black wire is attached on the stock setup?

Anyone? Anyone?

Jamie
John B.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:03 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

they way you have it drawn looks like it should do what you want to me. once you cut the switch over the other battery would be a dead leg? if the system is not charging your single connected battery now I don't think it would do anything to a battery hooked up to the frame by a ground wire. Which untill you flip the switch is all your spare battery is. That's how it looks to me anyway. good luck
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:19 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yes, the switch allows only one battery to be feeding the lighting system at a time.

So say the rectifier/system is feeding a little bit of current back to the batteries, would that have any affect on the spare battery since there is no switch there to isolate it from the system? Perhaps I should throw another switch in there to be safe?

I may be talking myself into something here...

Thanks John.

Jamie
nate
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:20 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I don't know where you have your wiring routed to, but if you were really concerned about it, you could just pick up a DPDT switch- it's got six contacts. 2 negative 'in', 2 positive 'in', and then 1 of each 'out'. It basically just combines two SPST switches. Might be a bit less of a headache to deal with, provided it's easy enough for you to get the 6 wires you'll need into the same location.

Just have to make sure all your polarities are in the right places, though.

I don't think you'll have any issues with the SPST switch you have, but erring on the side of caution might alleviate any phantom mysteries.
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'll look into the DPDT switch tho I may just pick up another SPST, wire it to the negative wires and strap them together.

I was hoping to have the switch reside in the toolbox but it seems easier to get all the wires in one location just above the original battery so the cowl will have to be removed for access.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Jamie
John B.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I don't think it could "feed" your battery when it's not in a circuit. but if you putting the switch in close to the batteries a DPDT may be the way to go. How about a friction generator from a schwin? as long as your moveing you'll have lights. ;-)
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Funny you should say that.

I was thinking of mounting a bicycle bottom bracket/crank and the friction generator between the leg shield and toolbox so that I could charge the battery AND pedal my way to good health!
John B.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:51 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

did you ever see pictures of those french vespas with the bike pedals mounted to the tunnel against the floorboards? too funny. let me know when you want to come by for that welding job I have a few extra cranksets in the garage. see you tonight