minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Engine Rebuild: What's next
frozenquest
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:55 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Now that the engine is out, besides taking it apart and replacing all the bits, what do I do with it?

The manual I'm using says to clean it, but what do I clean it with? Do I avoid getting water into specific parts? Do I use water?

Thanks for the help.

Chris
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:19 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Let me tell you in a brief discription something that takes alot of knowledge and know how.

It's not going to happen that way.
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:53 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

For cleaning go to an autoparts store and by some engine degreaser, about 100 of those cheapo shop towels, the biggest roll of paper towels you can find and a big bottle of Gojo.

Follow the instructions on the products. Have fun. A hint: the Gojo is for your hands.
frozenquest
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:05 am  Reply with quote
Noob

Thanks for the info Jeff.

One place suggested I use Oven Cleaner as a degreaser. Have you ever used this?

Also it suggested I take it to a car wash with one of those pressure washer. I'm a bit hesitant to do this as avoiding getting water into the sensative bits will be difficult. Should I be concerned with this or should I just go for it?

Thanks
Chris
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:14 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

First make sure you mark where everything goes, number them and put them in baggies or containers or something so you know how to put back together. All bolts look like other bolts.

For cleaning yeah get gunk or engine degreaser works good. Read the label though, if it says keep away from plastic or rubber make sure you don't get any on any wires or rubber stuff. Some of that stuff eats paint too. You can do a power wash too, might be smarter with the stator off. If you use water just make sure to dry it good.

frozenquest
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:21 am  Reply with quote
Noob

I've bagged and labled all of the parts I've taken off so far. I'm just at that point where I want to take it all apart and replace the worn bits.

I'm certainly looking to get into some work but with cleaning the engine I just want to ensure not to do anymore damage then neccessary.

I'll pick up the engine degreaser (plus 100 of those cheapo shop towels, the biggest roll of paper towels I can find and a big bottle of Gojo) and go from there. I assume a couple of wire brushed won't hurt.

Chris
John B.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:34 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Some of the tools i have found helpful in cleaning a engine: q-tips, tooth brush steel wool, brass brush, scotch brite pads, wd40, mineral spirits, engine degreaser, dawn dish soap, good friends who I could call, Beer. I would not take it to a power washer. a engine stand is really helpful and easy to build out of wood. find a clean place with good light to work some parts can jump off and vanish quite easy. good luck.
frozenquest
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:56 am  Reply with quote
Noob

Thanks John B.

Now that you mentioned an engine stand. I have the engine out and still attached to the (not sure what it's call) "arm" which holds the engine to the frame.

I was looking to buy an engine stand but don't want to spend $90 on something I will never use after this. If I can get away with something just as efficient and reliable I'd do that.

You mentioned building one of wood. Explain please...

I should also take some photos before I go any further.
John B.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:42 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

the stands I have made usually have a plywood base with posts attached that hold the engine up. I've built them different ways depending on what I was doing with the engine. usually i attach the engine at the swing arm and the rear shock mount. I usually make mine so i can screw them down to my work bench. you may want to make yours different. I don't know where or how you like to work. look at the engine stand photo on the scooter works website for ideas
Brad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

A digital camera is your friend. Photo everything that you take apart.

I used oven cleaner on engines in the past, but make sure that you use it in a well ventilated area - it's harsh as hell. They do make organic degreasers that might be easier to use. Another option is taking it to a car wash and blast it off. Make sure you cover all of the parts that shouldn't get wet.

frozenquest
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:37 am  Reply with quote
Noob

All who replied.

Thanks for the tips. I'll certainly look to you all when I completely ruin the engine. :)

I'll keep posting updates. I assume I'll have a nice winter project going and will be ready for the road by the spring/early summer.

Thanks,

Chris
Stumpy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Here's a post and a picture of one stand in particular from the BBS

http://www.scooterbbs.com/cgi-bin/board/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=23208&forum=DCForumID1&archive=

It should give you a good idea, or at least a starting point.
frozenquest
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:02 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

That is fancy. I certainly have something to go from now.
morgan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:35 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

frozenquest wrote:
All who replied.

Thanks for the tips. I'll certainly look to you all when I completely ruin the engine. :)

unfortunately, that's exactly what most people do. be really careful and make sure you've got all the good books and stuff. rebuilding a bike and/or engine is much harder than most people think it is. if this is your only bike, i would seriously consider having Scooterworks or 'Ville or Derrick or someone do the engine. after you buy parts, it's not that much more to pay for the hours to have a pro do it right. wait for your second bike to try a rebuild if you really want to ride and not spend all your time in the garage.

frozenquest wrote:
I'll keep posting updates. I assume I'll have a nice winter project going and will be ready for the road by the spring/early summer.

it's good to have goals, but count on most everything taking longer than you think it's going to. don't rush and be ready to do things over in order to get them right.

good luck!

BTW, what bike is it?
frozenquest
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:05 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Well, I'm pretty comfortable taking this thing apart and not worrying about breaking much. I'm certainly not in a hurry so totally destroying something isn't in the cards (I think...).

I have a couple of good books (Haynes manual and another one which escapes me). I used both when pulling the engine and they were both fairly comprehensive. I'm sure if I get in over my head I won't be hesitant to ask.

The one I'm working on is a 64 VNB Vespa. I also have a Lambretta sitting there waiting for some love. That one I'm a bit more intimidated by.

As with every other project it will certainly take some time to get done (and cost more than first expected). Again, I'm not expecting to be done next week. This is a hobby, remember?