minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  SAVA Tires?
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:16 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm wondering if it's so smart to stick with these tires. What makes me suspicious was the blow-out we had on the rear of the P200 on the Sunday ride. This tire is only a couple of seasons old and had 50% of tread left and no known trauma or weather cracks. When I examined it, the thing was completely rotten and shredding all the way around the shoulder of the tire.

Is that a freak defect or have others had problems with them? Are the Conti's any better? Should a guy swap tires after two seasons no matter the tread or appearance? This was a whitewall that blew.

SIDE NOTE---It's always interesting to see who stops when you break down. This time it was Tom R, who offered a spare, Lisa who offered good cheer and a ride, and Helix (not his right name?) anyway the Knight in Shining Armor with the red Vespa sidecar hack, who hopped off with 25# of tools and silently began taking off lugnuts and curing the problem (including the flooded carb from being laid over to fix the tire). Thanks to these guys I was hoisting a drink at Molly Quinns about 10 minutes later.

TIP----Check the TOOLS you carry (also air up the spare). I haven't nuked a tire in a while and THOUGHT I had adequate tools---It wasn't even close. I'd still be out there!

Mojo Willy

Big Thanks to all the Regulars who made this thing happen! We had a terrific time all the way around!
morgan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:22 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

i use the sava white sidewalls and i've never had a problem with them wearing fast. they've been real consistant for me...
Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:50 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I have gone through two sets of white wall Savas on my GS160 (over a few years) and never had a problem. I also have them on my GS150 with no problems.

As discussed before, I heard there was a bad batch a while back.

Talk to Scooterworks, they are the main US importer and sale a shit load of them.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:14 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah, in fact the Savas are the centerpiece of their new catalog update.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
morgan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

are you good about your tire pressure?
Ritchie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:31 am  Reply with quote
Permit

It was a sava whitewall that gave me all the issues last summer.Remember when i was geting a flat every time i rode.The whitewall part of the tires developed lumps that you couldn't really see(thanks again Nick).I did replace them with other sava whitewalls and havn't had an issue since.I'd also heard that a bad batch had come into the states.
morgan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:02 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

be nice if we new which were the bad ones. are there serial numbers on those things?

i've been on mine for 3400 miles and they seem fine.

if there was any good at all in the world the bad ones would have a big, red, flashing sign on them that says "warning: bad batch!"

it's all so unfair....
Burk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:39 am  Reply with quote
Noob

Thanks to a helpful lammy rider on Saturday, I was alerted to my low tires. I put some air in them half way thru the city ride.... HUGE DIFFERENCE in handling.
I think sometimes when tires lose pressure slowly, I don't really notice.
And since I'm too lazy to dig out my manual.... how much pressure do you put in those things?

Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:17 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

If anything I was OVER-INFLATED. When I checked the tires pre-Du, I'd inflated the rear tire to 30 psi (the bike was ridden two up). Given the extreme inaccuracy of tire instruments however, what is it really? I go a lot by ROAD FEEL and they felt OK so I drove on that. Is constant overinflation damaging to the sidewalls, or does it help them.

The scuttlebutt on many of the MC discussion groups is that good MC tires, like Avon Venoms, Metzeler's or Dunlop Elites should be run at about 5 psi higher than the "recommended" pressure, some go 8-10 psi over. These are tubeless tires too so, even if true, it may not apply to our little do-nuts. Why the tire companies don't know their own tires is a mystery. The over-inflation is supposed to give you better traction and handling, better braking, better gas milage, reduced blow-out potential, more tire life and improve your sex life. Naturally, I've been over-inflating with high expectations.

RANT: I've read that if everyone in America kept their car tires inflated to minimum normal, it would save billions of gallons of Iraqi gas and prevent thousands of deaths on the road (not to mention preventing all the Ford Explorers from rolling). I can't remember the exact fuel saving was, but it was SEVERAL TIMES what we will reap when we destroy the "Artic Reserve". I was listening to Click and Clack and found out that 90% of drivers have no clue what their tire pressure should be. For one thing, you can't even FIND IT on the tire without a microscope. Seems like it should be in 2" letters. Isn't this preventable problem a no-brainer?

Mojo Willy