minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Annoying Headset Rattle
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:52 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey guys, my stella has recently developed an annoying headset rattle - it first appeared somewhere around 1600 miles and has gotten progressively worse over the last 150 miles to the point that it's driving me nuts. I know it doesn't really *hurt* anything, other than my enjoyment of scooting.

So I suppose I have two questions:
(1) For Bob, Ed, and Stephen - are you guys willing to fix this under warranty?
(2) and for everybody else - any freaking idea how to get rid of it? I know how to open the headset, and I've read at stellaspeed that it probably relates to the headlight. So how have those of you with stellas and P-series bikes killed that rattle?

The ironic thing is, it doesn't appear until about 10 mph and it goes away above 40 mph - so either I have to drive it like I borrowed it or drive it like I stole it. Though the latter is an acceptable option, I'd rather get rid of the rattle.

Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:39 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Make sure it's not something in the glove box or the glove box door itself. It is often very difficult find where a rattle is coming from. It may sound like the headset but it is really coming from somewhere else.

You need to call Scooterville and ask them if they will fix it under warranty. The anwsers and opinions of people on this board are irrelavent when it comes to warranty issues.
morgan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:56 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

yes, i'd check the glovebox door or something in the glovebox, that's usually the culprit.

also, remember that a stella is cool because it's "new vintage", but that also means that it's an old design. old metal scooters are kinda rattley by nature.

still, if all your rubber is good and everything's tight, they should be fairly quiet, but those little glovebox doors almost always rattle.

my door rattles, the lock on the door rattles, and then all the crap i've got in there rattles too. if it gets really bad i'll rearrage junk in there and try to get a shop rag under everything or something. you can add rubber to the door so it fits more snugly, and i even saw someone who had a fully rubber-lined glovebox. i've dreamed about how cool that would be many a rattley ride.

take everything out of your box, use a rag or tape or something to quiet the door and door lock and then go for a ride, see if you hear the rattle then. that'd narrow it down...
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:03 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thanks for the tips!

It's not the glovebox door - that thing was rattling like a mofo from about 100 miles, so I bought some foam tape at home depot and put it inside the glovebox door's lip, which completely stopped the door rattle at about 400 miles - boy was that ever worth it - one of the best $3 purchases I've ever made.

Since this rattle developed, I've checked to make sure my tape is still in place, which eliminates the glovebox door as the source. I've emptied the glovebox, and it still rattles, which eliminates any contents in the glovebox as a source. That pretty much leaves the headset, unless there's something else I'm missing.

Matty
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:12 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Make sure the 4 bolts that hold the headset on, from the bottom, are all tightened evenly. If one is loose it'll rattle, or too tight you could crack it and that'll rattle. Also if the speedo cable is loose it can rattle, or the speedo itself, or pretty much anything!

Or just learn to live with the fact that 2 strokes rattle....

Matty
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:14 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh mirrors rattle too, as do your keys...

Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:31 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

One more thing I remembered about Stella rattles - check the throttle tube. If the throttle cable is loose the tube will rattle when your hand is off the grip or when you are slightly holding it.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:40 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Matty wrote:
Make sure the 4 bolts that hold the headset on, from the bottom, are all tightened evenly. If one is loose it'll rattle, or too tight you could crack it and that'll rattle. Also if the speedo cable is loose it can rattle, or the speedo itself, or pretty much anything!

Or just learn to live with the fact that 2 strokes rattle....

Great tip on the screws that hold on the headset. I'll check those first thing, since they're easy. Since I got 1300 or so rattle-free miles, I hate to give up now and accept the rattles! I keep my ignition key on a chain by itself, and the "chain" is a foam football (soccer ball), because my keychain rattle was both bothering me and scratching my paint.

Derrick wrote:
One more thing I remembered about Stella rattles - check the throttle tube. If the throttle cable is loose the tube will rattle when your hand is off the grip or when you are slightly holding it.

I definitely know that rattle - insanely intense, and that's almost always been there. But since that one is only present when you take your hand off the throttle while moving, it's not much of a problem.

Thanks! Keep the tips coming!

Egan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:05 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

This sounds like a job for STELLASPEED.COM

Tom you know about that site right? They can also tell you more than you want to know about the air mixture adjustment and how important it is to change spark plugs every 100 miles.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah, that site rocks. But unfortunately, I'm looking to *fix* a problem, not create one :-P So I'm asking you guys!

Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:33 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Is it coming from the right grip?

It might just be slack in your throttle cable.