minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  Events  ~  Life after Skooter Du? Duluth Run meeting
fnirt
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:51 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

So here's my update(s)

1. I've got wifely permission to go to Duluth on Sep 10/11, so I'm in if it's that weekend.

2. I checked the roads near "bruno" (within the triangle of 23, 48, and the Minnesota border, and they do indeed appear to be gravel roads. I'm not sure about the Sandstone-Hinkley connection, those roads will at the very least be older.

3. I'm not sure what "F" from Grantsburg north is. That may actually be gravel, as well.But Grantsburg to Siren on 48 would cut us over to 35 if need be.

4. I'm psyched!

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm checking on motels even as we speak; but so far things look pretty tight that weekend, and it turns out the $50 room we were talking about doesn't exist. I'm following a lead on a $60 room though... If it doesn't come through, I'll be calling up and arguing rates down with managers on the $90 rooms!

I think we're settled on the Sept 10-11 weekend, right?

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:22 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh, and I'm *not* cool with gravel roads. If I owned a Kawasaki KLR-650 (which I'd love to, btw) then I would be. But not on a Stella... they can't even cut grass, never mind gravel!

And I'm psyched too!

Brad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom,

The William Munger Inn, on 23 by the Duluth Zoo runs the indian point campground. If people are willing to double up they have a some rooms left including a couple of fireplace suites (two queens and pullout), a single, and a double queen. Others could camp there if so inclined. The rate on the double queen room was $85

http://www.indianpointcampground.com/
http://www.mungerinn.com/

I'd be game to reserve a suite and a few campsites to hold them. Others could reserve rooms as they see fit. Or if you find a deal in Superior, that would be great also.

I agree on the no gravel road rule. We'll scout out our route a little more before the ride.

fnirt
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:39 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Looking at hotels I was seeing a cheap rate on the Motel 6 or whatever in Duluth. So maybe we should just say "find a hotel in duluth" and then have meeting times for activities we may be doing.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a hotel any time now. I think soon is better than later.

I'm in absolute agreement on gravel.

Hey Josh? Nate? You there?

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nate
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:59 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I won't be heading up, but let me suggest Pizza Luce for brunch! Good Bloody Mary bar, pancakes, brie-stuffed french toast, biscuits and gravy (Vegan and otherwise!) ... it's fantastic. Fitgers and Luce are my two main stops when I'm up there.
Matty
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:09 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I think they mean another Nate not you nate, they know you're a grumpy old man.

I'd suggest the same hotel it would be a lot more fun, I would also guess the party would be in Josh's room..

Brad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:14 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Nate's a grumpy old man?

I turned 44 today and am feeling every bit of my age. To many doctor appointments lately..

I need a long scooter ride!

nate
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:22 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh, I knew they weren't talking about me going.

But I just wanted to throw out a suggestion, rather than an official input. Obviously the riders going are going to pick where they want to go, so I don't have much sway there- But luce Duluth breakfast is fantastic! Not that I know every little place in Duluth. I got stuck with the "First place I went was so good there's little motivation to try any other place" syndrome.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah Robert, the cheap hotel I had in mind was the Motel 6 - if that sounds good to people, I can call them and see if I can arrange an even cheaper rate. If not, then it's probably every man (or woman) for himself (or herself).

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I've gotten feedback from a couple people that they'd be willing to pay a little for a nicer room to themselves. The three best choices I see are:

(1) Motel 6 - simple, clean, cheap - $60 for a private room. It's the "we're all doing the same thing" compromise.

(2) Munger Inn / Indian Point Campground - nicer rooms and suites for those who want them, campground for those who want that. Only problem is availability - there's only four rooms, and my wife, daughter and I would take one so that leaves three for everybody else.

(3) Best Western Edgewater - nice hotel (apparently), about $100 for a room. Those who want to spring for it could get a private room, those who don't could share.

Opinions? I really couldn't care, except my wife will probably prefer a nicer room...

Kevin K
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:44 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hacienda Del Sol (on Superior st.--near Fitgers) is an awesome Mexican place, and a "must" stop for me.

A great place to kill time is Aerostich. Nearly everything they carry in their catalog is on display in the showroom. The staff is friendly and helpful.

If the weather turns to shit, one could spend many hours at The Depot. Check out the trains in the basement!

If the group decides to hit Wheels and Wings, look for the group of old hearses and ambulances and stop by to say Hi. I'll probably have my grey '79 there.
K
jsyx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:33 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

unfortunadamente...
i cannot go to duluth that weekend as i will be performing at the BLB block party. However, i have two words...

RED LION.

if you guys don't go here at night then your all big weiners. this is the creme de la crap of duluth. you will see native dudes fighting. you WILL drink cheap beer, you probably will play slanted pool games, you may even get jumped, but it's all worth it.
as far as what other nate said (i love that monicker...) he is absolutely right, Pizza Luce in Duluth has absolutely the BEST BRUNCH EVER. I've eaten there three days in a row earlier this summer, including dinner @ 2 meals/day. Best biscuits and gravy i've ever had, and i've eaten them from coast 2 coast. Bloody mary bar, mimosas, DAMN!!! why won't they do that here again!
Hacienda del sol is super busy so if yous guys want mexican, i'd get there early and be ready to hang for a bit. Also, check out the incline station on superior st. as well as the fetus and the totally kick-ass used book/record shop across from luce.

have fun kids, and don't stay up too late.

p.s.-make your hotel reservations early...they can be difficult up there. West Duluth and Superior, Wi. are always good bets. If you do go to Superior and yer feeling particularly saucy, go to stargate night club for a laugh. You won't fucking believe it...it's worth the cover if even only for ten minutes
(that's all i could take.) Then take yer chances on the main drag in sup-town... it's definitely something else.

nate
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:42 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Wait a second- How do I get named "other nate"? I was here first, damnit.
Matty
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:50 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

looks like 'other nate' is getting mad!