minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  900 Miles per liter?
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:39 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

So I just poured my second bottle of ipone into my Stella last night at 1962 miles on the odo. I had poured about a quarter of the bottle in about 500 miles ago because I was nervous before a longish trip, but for all intents and purposes, this means I've burned 2 1/4 liters of oil in 1960 miles, which means almost 900 miles per liter. I had expected about 500, but had no basis for this assumption.

So what are all you getting? I'm a little nervous that I don't have enough oil running through it, but it is running like a charm...

nate
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:33 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

well, you should be running 50:1.

at 900 miles/liter, that means you're getting about 18 miles/liter of gasoline.

Type "18 miles per liter in miles per gallon" into google, and we get:

18 (miles per liter) = 68.1374124 miles per gallon

That sounds about reasonable.

Do you know what your typical gas mileage is? We could turn this into algebra class and you could work it from that side of the equation, and find out what mixture you're really running at. If that varies wildly from 50:1, then there's going to be a huge problem that'll involve a new oil metering system, and ripping everything apart and trying to figure out if there's a bad gasket, or a leak, or a blockage or something else.

Or you can look at the number and say, "Yep. That looks about right." and call it a day.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:49 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

What do you guys think about adding a 1% oil to the stella gas tank for the long hard WOT runs?

Dave
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:54 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Wow Nate is bored!

If the Stella injector is the same as a Vespa one, you ARE getting more than 2% at full throttle. It varies the ratio depending on the throttle. I can't remember the exact percentage but it's close to 3% when you're at full throttle.

Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

It is a mechanical metering device that works off of throttle position and engine RPM.

Is is NOT a constant ratio.

It is NOT made to be adjustable.

Adding 1% more to the gas will not hurt it. I would not add any more though.

Most seizing is caused because the scooter owner has altered the engine in some way and changed the fuel mixture causing it to lean out. The oil lubricates the bearings and the piston but the gas keeps the combustion chamber cool.

If you go too lean on gas, the piston will get too hot and expand beyond the size of the cylinder bore - seizing.

You could seize from too little oil but it is less common then a "heat" seizure.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:58 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey thanks for all this info. Nate, you're brilliant for pointing out the mathematics of it all. Yeah, I get between 65 and 80 mpg depending on whether I feel like I own it or I stole it at any given time. And though it's true that the metering is variable according to riding conditions, I've heard it works out to about 50:1 on average. So I guess that's about right. I keep a log (I know, I'm a geek) so I could figure out how much gas has run through it and see if that works out to be reasonably close to 50:1.

But it was a casual "does this sound right?" question, so I'll take all your responses as an affirmative. Geez, these things really do sip the oil - so all those "it burns oil so it's bad" people can get over it. One liter for every 900 miles isn't too bad...

Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:03 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'd like to know what the average turns out to be. I bet its less than 50 to 1. At idle the oil supply almost stops.