minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Duluth Run.
Matty
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:44 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Just triple the long ride from the rally, then double it, and that would be about right. The Parka run last year was only like 110 miles but I think it took us 19 hours to get there...

Brad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:02 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Sounds good. We'll meet at 8 pm at Betty's this coming Tuesday for those interested.

Our route to Osceola from Como Park is 49 miles. There is only a two mile stretch on Highway 95 (a higher traffic road). The rest is just plain a nice ride. This stretch will take about an 1.5-2 hours, primarily because it's slower going getting out of St. Paul.

According to Map24, it's 114 miles from Osceola to Superior. We have a couple of options here, including taking more backroad (off of 35) from St. Croix Falls to Grantsburg, then on County Road F to Danbury. But that might add a 5-10 miles, but be a more relaxing ride.

On the return trip 23 and following the old 61 in MN might be an option. We can talk about this on Tuesday.

Anyway we cut it, it will be a 175 mile-ish ride up. But once we're north of Stillwater, we should be able to average 45 mph when on the road, so I would say 4-5 hours of total ride time one way?

Ece
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:11 am  Reply with quote
Training

Matt, Now that's pretty funny !!! I am bringing a weeks worth of food just in case I get stranded and the group goes on ahead and leaves me behind. Who know's when I will see another person drive by or when my wife will come and pick me up.

Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:18 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm sorry, but I can't read the time estimate for this trip without giggling as I broke down 15 miles into the Parka run. Granted, you're on new scooters so it is different. Food is good, but alcohol is better. If your scoot dies, you can get your friends drunk and cannibalize their scooters for spare parts. Don't worry, you can mail all the parts back to the owners after your return.
Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:31 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

By the way, I do wish you all fine weather and a safe and easy ride. I'm not trying to be a non-participating party pooper type.

I had a blast on the Parka Run last year even with the problems and hope that sometime I can do another long trip that doesn't involve quite so much roadside maintenance.

You'll all have fun either way I'm sure!
Brad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:56 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I know that this is completely insane, but that's why I'm doing it.

I've been fiddling with the Bajaj all summer. Different plugs, direct hits, disabling the TRICS, etc. All I've managed to do is make it run worse most of the time. On the run to Osceola last week, my battery died and I changed the plug back to normal from the hotter one that I was running (it was looking to white for my taste). Dave's bike looked like it was fouling plugs and his exhaust came a bit loose on the way home. And these are NEWER scooters.

The Bajaj is running good now, so I'm leaving the motor alone. Just going to throw on a pair of new tires and change the oil before I leave. Hopefully we don't have to many riders with untested Stellaspeed and Yahoo Bajaj grouip updates. These classic looking scooters are reliable, but still more ornery than a Kymco.

But still.. the opprotunity to ride through the Wisconsin countryside all day. Plus the bragging rights. How cool is that!

The scooter gods are going to come through, I just know it.

Adam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:15 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Looking forward to the ride. Should be quite the adventure compared to doing such a trip on my big ol' maxiscooter.

If I can move a few things around, I'll try to make the Tuesday night meeting at Betty's.
Grant
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:35 am  Reply with quote
Training

Okay, I'm in (just made my reservation for Motel 6), but I reserve the right to back out if the weather looks sucky. I will try to make it to Betty's on Tuesday night if possible for planning.

Grant
Brad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:20 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Woo Hoo, that's EIGHT

michelle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

might be 7... i'm struggling with a demanding 'to do' list to get my house ready to sell and might end up staying behind. :(

i'm waiting until the last minute to decide though. hopefully the long weekend will help me get the garage repainted, the basement painted, everything packed & pretty. ??? a girl can dream, right?
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:53 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Some folks will be coming up to Osceola, at least. Amy and I will.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Brad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:15 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

433 wrote:
Some folks will be coming up to Osceola, at least. Amy and I will.

That's great, the more the merrier.

Grant
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:10 pm  Reply with quote
Training

I have been doing a little route researching and it looks like we have a number of good options. I think I have one that would get us into Duluth from the WI side on a pretty cool route. Also, the hotel street (27th Avenue West) crosses Skyline Drive up the hill a bit. Easy to get to several good places from there.
TomR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:33 am  Reply with quote
Training

Question: Is it OK to invite a motorcyclist to ride along with us for the morning Osceola leg? He wants to ride along and go to Wheels and Wings. After that, he is on his own. Also he wants to know that if he looses his composure and breaks out into laughter at the sight of us, will full on rolling on the ground histerics be tolerated, or only polite tittering?
Tom
Brad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

As I said before, it's all cool, but he gets to ride at the back. Then if he's laughing, he'll get to do it at 45 mph while breathing two stroke smoke.

Just kidding, no problem if he wants to hang with the in-crowd. We'll have him converted to scooters in no time.