minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  Events  ~  Anyone going to slaughterhouse?
GP Kevo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:55 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?

Dude, this isn't rocket science, nor is it Masterpiece Theatre.

You have a brand new scooter, under warranty? What are you afraid of? All you need is AAA and you're set. Learn how to do basic maintanence... spark plug, tire changes, cable replacement and adjustment. Basic scooterist skills that every scooterist should know. I wouldn't expect any more than that on a new bike anyhow, even on a long trip.

It's only what, 450 miles? That's a long day's ride, or two nice, short, day rides. Camp along the way. You and your scooter will love it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

GP Kevo wrote:
You have a brand new scooter, under warranty? What are you afraid of? All you need is AAA and you're set. Learn how to do basic maintanence... spark plug, tire changes, cable replacement and adjustment. Basic scooterist skills that every scooterist should know.

Yeah, see how I don't yet? I can fix a tire and adjust my clutch cable, because those are things that I've had to do already. As more things happen to me, I'll learn more things. But I'm not interested in sitting alone on the side of the road in East Bumblefuck, Wisconsin waiting for a towtruck in case something I can't fix happens and then I miss the rally anyway.

I learned at a very early age that you shouldn't get yourself in over your head and expect people to bail you out.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GP Kevo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:21 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Dude, with that attitude you're never going to ride anywhere.

You know, there are a couple scooterists at least that are riding down to the rally. Why not ride down with others?

There's nothing wrong with asking for help. I've had to do it plenty of times, and it's never stopped me from riding. I rode solo 400+ miles in one night and day on an old Li 150 Special I'd bought the previous day only to have it break down 6 miles from the ferry port. My boat was to sail in 2 hours. So I start pushing. A mile later a guy in a service garage offers to load my bike in his truck and drive me to the port and drops me off right in front of Harry Barlow (Pro Porting), who graciously fixed my scooter on the spot. I made the sailing and the rallies and toured over 1,000 miles all by myself. Help comes when you least expect it.

With a new scooter you shouldn't have any major mechanical problems, or are the Stellas really that crappy a bike? A new scooter should carry you without trouble, and if you can't trust it, then why buy a new scooter in the first place?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:49 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Dude, what the fuck are we fighting for? Do you just feel like attempting to make me look like an idiot? (I don't normally need much help)

I was initially thinking, when my ride disappeared last weekend, that I would ride down to Madison and hook up with some Defilers, but I decided against it. If anyone from here had spoken up and said they were riding, I would have hooked up with them. However, nobody said anything.

Oh, well, I'm not going. You want to drop it?
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
morgan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

you know gp kevo, maybe you mean to be giving some freindly encouragement to someone, but it's coming accross a bit too much like macho bullying for my taste.

who died and made you the long-distance-ride-police? and why the nasty barbs?

so you like a little risk and adventure in your travels. big deal. not everyone does. some people just like to zip around town. why isn't that ok? i like to work on scooters, other folks want to buy a kymco so they can just ride and ride... that's cool too.

scooters are also supposed to have something to do with individuality and independance. that means not everyone needs to be like "gp kevo".

why are you hassling people?
kennylibido
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:17 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I think his posts were very encouraging if you think like a healthy adult - it's the message not the medium. If you're so disappointed about not going, do something about it.

I remember my boss telling me one time that he was a model railroader. Three years later I went to his house. He had two pieces of plywood on top of some horses. There was a rail car sitting on its side. No engines to be seen. A partially built tressle bridge. If this is the result of a guy's love and passion after three year, he needs to shut the fuck up.

I agree with 433 that riding a sccoter from Minneapolis to Chicago is a daunting challenge considering that he and his bike are still honeymooning. However, Kevin read the posts like we all have and he, like I, concluded that Jeremy was extremely frustrated. Extreme situations call for extreme actions. He responded appropriately.

Message. Not medium.
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:26 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Joe is right.

Jeremy needs to relax. Go if you want. Stay here if you want. But, please stop whining about it.
morgan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:29 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

sure, i see your point. but it seems to me that he mainly made 433 more frustrated by the tone of his "encouragement". and when someone says, "i don't want to do this", what's not to understand? if 433 wanted to ride a long distance, and he wanted to go to chicago, he'd ride to chicago. i just don't think anyone should be pushed to do things that are potentially dangerous (as any ride on any road is), that's all.

and if the medium pushes the recipient away, the message isn't going to get through, so medium does matter.

it's hard to read tone of voice in posts on a bbs, so misunderstandings are many. i guess i've misread freindly encouragement here, so i'm sorry if i've been a jerk. gp kevo, it's cool you've done so much scooter traveling, and i like your stories about it. and i like doing it too.

i guess i have a low tolerance for bullying, so maybe my radar's too sensitive.
nate
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:24 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm also convinced that long-haul scootering in Europe is a totally different beast than here in the US. In the UK, you can probably find somebody to fix your bike or acquire parts in just about any little town- and the distance between these towns really isn't going to be that great.

In the US, your chances of breaking down within pushing distance of BeedSpeed or Pro Porting or Scooterworks or whatever is pretty limited. For _me_ to feel comfortable on long-haul scootering trips, it'd be necessary to have a posse with enough parts around for almost a complete rebuild, if necessary. (And somebody else that can help me fix somthing that goes catastrophically wrong, as I'd probably run into issues if I needed to replace seals in the field.)

I guess I'm just getting at the fact that distance scootering in the US is generally best perceived at being done by the hardcore wrenches, somebody that can help themselves out of a pinch. In Europe, even the casual scooterist could probably get things sorted relatively quickly, just due to the depth of scootering culture over there. And of course the ironic part is that by undertaking the voyages and putting up with the setbacks, you end up learning a lot awfully quickly- so you become 'initiated' a lot more quickly. So it's a self-perpetuating thing, if that makes any sense.

And of course, in all probablitity, a bone stock bike would probably make it to Chicago and back with no isssues. But if something _were_ to go wrong, it's a hard pill to swallow once you're stranded in a field in wisconsin with a job to get back to the following day.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
Jeremy needs to relax. Go if you want. Stay here if you want. But, please stop whining about it.

Ahem.

First, fuck off.

Second, I did stop whining about it. At 7:14pm on Sunday, August 28, about three minutes after reading an email from my ride saying he was unable to go. Speaking out of frustration, yeah, I suppose that was whining a bit, but that was the end of it.

Then a string of events: Various people offer helpful suggestions. I respond that no, I wasn't planning on spending all that much money, and besides, I have made other plans for the weekend already. Four days after my "whining" post, GP Kevo decides to tell me to ride. Brilliant, I certainly hadn't thought of that before! I tell him that I don't feel comfortable riding alone to Chicago. He then either (A) attempts to give me some "tough love" or (B) decides to just be a dick.

I was more than happy to just let this drop. How about the rest of y'all?
GP Kevo
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:06 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

nate wrote:
I'm also convinced that long-haul scootering in Europe is a totally different beast than here in the US. In the UK, you can probably find somebody to fix your bike or acquire parts in just about any little town- and the distance between these towns really isn't going to be that great.

In the US, your chances of breaking down within pushing distance of BeedSpeed or Pro Porting or Scooterworks or whatever is pretty limited.

Actually, scooter shops are pretty far apart, even in the UK, and you still have to bring all your 2 stroke with you if you're picky about what oil you use. Harry Barlow just happened to be riding to the rally and waiting for the ferry when I ran into him. My longest U.S ride was from LA to San Francisco and back for the King's Classic in '98, all the way up the PCH and all the way down on the 101 Freeway, on my stock TV200. No scooter shops along the way and no decent 2 stroke oil in the gas stations either.

I've done some long rides, but I'm certainly no long distance king. I'll leave that title to Tino Sachhi and his wife, or those crazy few who've tried scootering around the world, or the two Italian dudes who rode across the U.S., or the Vespa Club of Los Gatos dudes who rode across the US, shipped their scooters to Europe, then rode to Italy.... those scooterists are long distance kings!

The point I was trying to make, is that Vespa and Lambretta scooters (and their clones) can do long distance rides.