minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  Events  ~  Duluth run
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah, we weren't caught when we were swimming naked under the lift bridge...

We got back into town 380 miles later at about 6:45 tonight. Great ride! And the patches are AWESOME!

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:05 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh, and it was four stellas (red, green, orange, and f-ball), two Chetaks (yellow and blue), and Vespa GT200 (green).

dmarquis
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh and it wasn't a "finger" that I lost. The misses isn't happy at all... :-)

A great time was has! The rides were awesome, but some for the roads were rough and bumpy. I really loved the cement mojuls.... I think that kidney stone finally got dislodged.... :-)

We did have some breakdowns. First was my 1 week old Clutch cable. I think it was a bum one. Jost I paid 3.00 for it... Good thing I had a spare. Brad had a Direct Hits mod on his Bajaj and it took a direct hit and crapped out. Robert also was the receipent of a flat tire. He was a champ and even tired to ride it as far as possible. Which was kinda funny. I am happy that he didn't wipe out!

The patch rocks...I had a great time and I am looking forward to more Blister runs.... Thunderbay canonball anyone? It is only 350 miles.... I was reading in Scoot the Ashrat did 900 in 1 day.....

Dave
Grant
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:56 pm  Reply with quote
Training

The Blister Run (2005 Duluth) did turn into much more of an adventure than I had anticipated; and it was definitely worth it. Traveling long distances with 150cc, etc. scooters requires a combination of a very flexible schedule, patience, spare parts, tools, and the desire to have fun in spite of what gets thrown your way. The bottom line is all participants (and their scooters) made it there and back together, no one got hurt, and everyone had a good time (or so I hear…).

What didn’t go so well (in the order they appeared):
Snapped Stella clutch cable – Dave
Bajaj engine issues (new sparkplug and removing mod to fix) – Brad
Bajaj and Stella shifting issues (adjustment of clutch cables) – Adam and Erik (others ??)
Vespa GT running on fumes (not really being able to make it all the way there on one tank of gas) – Grant
Finding out the hard way that the very west end of Skyline Drive is gravel for a long ways
Motel 6 (okay this one wasn’t that bad, but it could have been better)
Bajaj tipping over at the sight of a big ship (and giving the brake lever a shortened “euro style”) - Brad
Stella gas tank peeing after being overfilled (I hope the pic turns out) - Erik
Stella tire picking up something and not liking the result – Robert
Bajaj not running on the reserve gas – Brad

What went well:
The weather (a bit hot, but pretty nice overall considering)
The sights (waterfalls, vistas, that kind of crap)
Lots of surprised faces seeing a bunch of “mopeds” cruising through town
Comfortably enjoying the Duluth pier in short sleeves at night in September
The patch!!!!
And of course the ride…
Kevin K
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:38 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Glad to hear that everyone had a good time and returned safe.
Thanks for stopping in Osceola. THAT really made my day!
While on the shuttle bus to the airport, I saw the group enroute on 35-- what an impressive sight! I was on the opposite side of the bus or I would have snapped a pic.
K
Jo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:53 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Pictures?
Brad
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:08 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Jo wrote:
Pictures?

I just sent Scoot.Net a request for a picture upload area and and a TIFF of the patch. So pictures should be coming once the upload area is set up.

The ride was great. A couple of neat parts were the bridge from Superior to Duluth (about a lane and 1/2 of cement running under railroad tracks on the same bridge), Skyline Drive (a little gravel actioin) and the ride through Jay Cook park (twisty, some corners at 15 mph).

We did get a lot of looks going down the road, mostly positive. We had a couple of guys on Harleys with big pipes crack their throttles when they blew by us.

On the way up to Duluth, I got 97 mpg with the tailwind!

dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:17 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I had a great time! One thing I wish I had and that I found in the Dennis Kirk catalog, a snap on flipable full face shield. I also found some cool mods that I am going to investigate....

Dave
Brad
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:50 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

dmarquis wrote:
I had a great time! One thing I wish I had and that I found in the Dennis Kirk catalog, a snap on flipable full face shield. I also found some cool mods that I am going to investigate....

A side affect of this trip may be that we've created more Brooke's... All of the repairs and the stop at Dennis Kirk may be contributing factors.

Adam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:52 am  Reply with quote
Permit

It was a great trip and gave me a new appreciation for the touring capability of the Chetak. The longest I had ever ridden in a day prior to this was about 42 miles. The 400+ miles for me on this trip, over 200 of them in the first day, makes that seem like a trip to the corner market.

Everyone was terrific and beyond all else, that's what made the Duluth Blister Run really fun. Even though my tush is sore, I still thank Brad for talking me into going.

Also, I nominate Dave for the "Oh-my-aching-back award". While the rest of us had luggage racks on our scooters, or at least a passenger seat to which to tie our overnight bags, Dave's Stella Fireball has that nifty racing seat. That meant that he did the whole run wearing a backpack.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:53 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

What's the Brooke factor?

Dave
dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:55 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh and I am thinking about the DR Kit and a 24E carb with a Siminoni or poloni pipe........ Why can't I leave it well enough alone?

Dave
fnirt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:08 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm still working on sorting my pictures and notes, but wanted to say that was a blast! I have much more confidence in my scoot, my ability to change a tire, and a greater appreciation for those going on long trips. Oh, and my iPod. :) Now that I'm capable of changing a tire, etc, I tore the engine down last night and rebored the cylinder(s) - I just didn't like the high end speed, so I thought I'd tinker. I had to use a hand drill tho as I don't have a good power drill. :)

I'm nowhere near as sore as I thought I'd be. And I think the most dangerous part of the trip was getting home from Shoreview. I was late and running on fumes - while also trying to outrun rain. So I was going pretty fast. Made it tho!

You guys shoulda heard Skyline drive with a soundtrack!

R

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:27 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The most significant thing I learned is that 150cc scooters aren't just good for touring - they're good for adventure touring! If I never ride on that kind of gravel again on my scoot, it will be too soon. But we all made it, with nobody dropping their bikes, and the views were spectacular. Just as spectacular was highway 210 on Sunday "morning".

I logged 203 miles on Saturday and 177 miles on Sunday, easily making for the longest two days in the saddle I've had. For me it was perfect - I had to make no adjustments to my bike, and it just ran like a top. I'm not really sore today, and I enjoyed my scoot to work this morning, so all is good. Still, I plan to call up scooterworks and order a proper Vespa spring bench seat later today - enough of this foam on plastic crap.

Also, I'm going to add the little socket set and a full set of cables to the list of things I always carry. Robert's tire change would have taken a half hour if he'd only had the Stella tool kit; but with the socket set, it was a snap.

And it was fun being 70 miles from nowhere and being the only two-wheeled vehicles that didn't have at least a liter of displacement. There weren't any small or medium motorcycles on the roads - just goldwings, road kings, valkyries and the like - and I think they were surprised as hell to see a bunch of scoots chugging along. Other than the one guy who started out waving but then flipped us off when he realized we were scoots, everybody was friendly or tolerant to us.

Most importantly, it was a good group and a lot of fun. I think Robert summed it up when he said we had no jerks along - lots of dorks, nerds, and geeks - but no jerks.

I think I'm up for that Thunder Bay run now...

dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:30 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Have you guys and gals read about Ashrats 900 mile 1 day ride?

Dave