minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Diagnosis...murder!!!
jsyx
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

not really.

reason: lately, when my bike is warming up in the morning it always wants to die when i open-up the throttle. even if i just blip it too far the engine dies. I have noticed a little gas odor(not so much strawberries...) when i'm warming it up. It's kind of frustrating when you're in stop-and-go traffic and my bike nearly dies every time i start letting the clutch out. do you think my idle is just a little too low? or is the gas-mixture too rich? I just re-jetted and my WOT chops look fine as does the plug at idle.
or a carb airleak? I would imagine that the extra air would affect the idle, no? Perhaps to make it stutter a bit as there's not enough gas mixture to accomodate the extra air.
hotter plug?maybe?

comments please.
[/b]

jsyx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:44 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

WTF!!!
how come i don't get 10 replies to my question?
(which was almost the same...)
i would think more of you know how to tune on a largeframe vespa engine than a modern aprilla...

geez. i guess i've been pigeonholed.

Brad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:51 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

OK, I'll bite. Are you pulling out the choke for a mile or two? It's a little cooler in the am these days.

John B.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Did you jet up? it sounds like your dumping too much gas in. I'd start with the air mix screw to try to correct.
morgan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:18 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

it's getting colder at night now, and it sounds to me like you just need to let the bike warm up a bit more before you start to ride. my bike, with has the same engine as yours, except it's got stock jets and no cat converter, doesn't "blip" too well when you goose the throttle until it's run for a few minutes after a cold nite.

if you've tuned your air/gas mixture screw right for your new jetting, and it starts, runs ok warm and the plugs look ok, i'm not sure i'd mess with it. just let it warm up a little more in the morning now that it's getting chilly...

most vehicles run a bit wonky when they're really cold and just starting up.

the other thing to do is run it stock. they always run best stock...

m
morgan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

jsyx wrote:
WTF!!!
how come i don't get 10 replies to my question?

i missed your post first time around. besides, this question in one form or another gets asked about once a month. do you know the "procedure" for tuning the mixture screw? i'm assuming you do if you're messing with the jets...
Matty
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

jsyx wrote:
WTF!!!
how come i don't get 10 replies to my question?.

Have you tried Stella Speed? just kidding...
Did you just change the main jet or did you do something else while you where in there...

Jeff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:52 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

What is your set up again Josh?
jsyx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:39 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

HOLY SHIT!!!
this outpouring of support rivals the response to Hurricane Katrina!!!
okay, so now that i've the introductory foundation, here are the facts...

I opened up the main jet because i have been running safe/rich throught the hot summer months, and i'm sick of bogging at high rpm. I did blip tests and plug chops and got it as dialed as i could... i thought.
Now that it's cooler, and only getting cooler, experiment season lays itself before us. My bike IS NOT running poorly, i'm trying to get it as dialed as it can be before i start REALLY fucking with it this winter (my first with a garage/workspace). It just seems like the problem (dying when opening the throttle) is happening MUCH WORSE than it did even during really cold months, i.e. january/febraury of last year; or the year before. Granted, i mess around with my engine quite a bit, but i would still like to have my bike running as best as i can before the end of the year.
Am i being too critical? Should the warm-up be so much longer even though it's not that cold out? I haven't noticed it in the past two years but my bike a lot further from "factory-settings" than it has been.
just trying to learn more...

p.s.- set-up is as follows:
2003 Stella. 5600 mi. Pinasco exhaust. stock everything else. 160/BE3/108.

p.p.s. hotter plug during colder months?

Jeff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:28 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Almost without exception scoots run stronger in cool weather, because they run leaner. Cooler air is more dense, so you get more air molecules per stroke. Your bike shouldn't need to warm up that much more either, a minute or two at most should be fine if all else is OK. You could try a B7 plug, but don't go much hotter, because you are already leaner because of the cooler weather.

You might want to check that your choke is actually opening and closing when you actuate the knob.
jsyx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:58 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

yeah, i inspected the gas/oil lines and the choke wire when i re-jetted. As well as cleaned out the carb/air-filter pretty good. I've noticed not to set your idle adj. when the engine is cold, cos' it will race out of control when it's to temp. So, maybe i just need an extra nudge there...
I think i may take some things apart this weekend...
Jeff, have you replaced the carb gasket on your stella? or even removed it?

Matty
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:42 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

jsyx wrote:
I've noticed not to set your idle adj. when the engine is cold, cos' it will race out of control when it's to temp. So, maybe i just need an extra nudge there...
I think i may take some things apart this weekend...
Jeff, have you replaced the carb gasket on your stella? or even removed it?

Just try adjusting the idle while it's warmed up before you go tearing it apart. The gasket shouldn't need changing, I'd leave it because chances are good that you'll get the sent the wrong one and not notice and end up seizing it...

morgan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:50 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

jsyx wrote:
Granted, i mess around with my engine quite a bit, but i would still like to have my bike running as best as i can before the end of the year.

i'm sure you know and other people have told you that the best way for it to run "the best it can" is for it to be completely stock, with stock settings. i understand the fun of tinkering and tuning, but it seems to take a lot of experience to really be able to add mods or soup up an engine AND have it run well.

it seems like the coolest thing would be to have 2 (or more) bikes. keep one stock for daily, reliable riding, and one to f**k with and make go fast.

but then, i'm a reliability nut. i'd take reliability over speed any day of the week, but that's just me.

it seems like you're having fun and learning stuff, though, so don't listen to me. good luck! and i agree with matt, don't tear stuff apart if you really don't have to. it's just like surgery, there's ALWAYS risks no matter how small the procedure...
jsyx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:54 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

i agree, Morgan, that ideally i'd have several scoots for different applications.
Matt, i did set it too a warm engine, cos' i knew better, that's why i think it suxx in the morning.
Whatever... this morning i just let the choke out forever even though it sounded like it was going to die, it worked fine... i'm just being over-critical.
But i'm still tearing things apart, ...always have, always will.

p.s.-i would have cut a gasket and sealed it.

Jeff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The only time you need to change your gaskets is if you actually have removed the carb. Rejetting would not be enough to warrent that. And yes tuning should be done when fully warmed up. The couple minutes I was talking about above was for warming the bike up to ride, but usually I don't even need to do that...