minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  The Rally  ~  No name yet rally (formerly known as Skooter Du)
minnetonkajoe
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:56 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Call it what you want...you can count the Associates S.C. in.

kennylibido
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:12 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

It seems as if there is consensus, at least intially, that "Skooter Du" is a brand name and that any rally in the Twin Cities associated with the Regulars should incorporate it into future names for rallies, at least obliquely.

This serves a few functions.

- It is respectful of Matt, Trish, Jeremy, the founding dudes/dudettes of the the "Original" Regulars and countless, nameless others who came before us. I can think of nothing better to pay homage to and pass the ceremonial torch from Matt to Lisa.

- It adds continuity for Lisa and the next organizational committee to make their lives easier in order to do the next thing.

I'm not quite getting your negativity, Jeff. You've repeated the notion that this thing will suck if more people don't get involved. It brings to mind the scene in "Amadeus" where Salieri plants the idea in his ignorant benefactor's head that Mozart's music has "too many" notes in it. Mozart's response is that it has as many notes as its supposed to have. Neither more nor less.

My point, and I do have one, is this. The Du, as long as I have attended, has been growing and has all the appearances of having been wildly succesful and loved by all (Well, except for the dude who got the ticket on the midnight run a few years ago and Silverwing dude at this years Gymkhana). Despite the grousing and last minute wrangling that seems to be inseparable and required during the last minute planning of the Du, the thing comes together and everything seems to get done. I wonder if you think there is something that wasn't getting done that would made the Du so much better than it has been. There seems to have been as many people involved as there needed to be despite the need for Matt and others to be "cat herders".

Truthfully, it seems that it is the nature of scooterists to resist the call of the madding crowd just enough to think they're doing their own thing but not enough to be responsible to the group. Every time there was a call to action, there were folks stepping up. Lisa doing what she's doing is the perfect example of this happening, even as I write this. If things happen with the next rally like they have in the past, there will be the usual growing pains but everything will get done and no one who didn't help out will be the wiser that the whole thing teetered on ruin. I assume most of us wouldn't have it any other way - we drive scooters that are likely to explode at any minute for God's sake!

I hope that Matt and other folks who were integral to planning the last six rallies will be gracious and patient enough to give Lisa et al's crew verbal SOPs for the 2006 "Fill in name of rally here" hosted by the Twin Cities Regulars. Such kindness and thoughtfulness will assure continuity for rallies to come. Indeed, I hope Matt, at least, is willing to design, or even lead, future rally rides as he has the gift of Mozart when it comes to such things. His rides have neither more turns nor fewer turns than needed to get us where we have to go. All roads lead to Scooterville, it seems.

Finally, the serendipity of this thread seems to be calling out to us. Why not "The Rally formerly known as Scooter Du" or "The Rally formerly known as the Du"? I like the second one better as it minimizes infringement on Matt's wishes and maintains the whisper of the rally's rich heritage. I envision the next T-Shirt showing the ass end of a vintage scooter from the exhaust side blowing blue smoke. The blue smoke carries musical notes and other things such as 2% mixture, silhouettes of various bikes, Matt's head, and what-have-you, and several of the notes are some permutation of Prince's symbol thing. It just seems to fit, at least, to me.

And, in the end, it likely won't matter anyway because minnetonkajoe says it all when he says, "Call it what you want... you can count the Associates S.C. in". Plan the rally and they will come.
Grant
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:00 am  Reply with quote
Training

kennylibido wrote:
...I think I am pretty much a poser...

Joe.

Word. j/k
Grant
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:01 am  Reply with quote
Training

Seriously, thanks Lisa for stepping up. This thing means a lot to a lot of people (even if they aren't as vocal about it as others).

kennylibido wrote:
As far as a yearly rally goes, the various groups in Chicago, from what I've gathered, do their own thing but get together to help out with rallies which makes perfect sense - I think of Sturgis where folks converge for a few days to embrace biking madness/weirdness.

Joe.

Yeah, groups all pitching in seems to work in other places quite well. I am moving to Austin, TX in a few weeks and it looks like they have a great rally every year. Multiple clubs from Austin, San Antonio, and Houston all help make it happen. Many hands make light work.

I think that more formal groups in the TC will emerge. As they do, hopefully one thing they can all agree on is to help make the rally thrive.
kennylibido
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:58 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Grant wrote:
kennylibido wrote:
...I think I am pretty much a poser...

Joe.

Word. j/k

You would do well, young Padawan, to not take sides against the family lest you find yourself sleeping with the fishes. Remember, the arm of justice and revenge is long and you cannot hide, even in Texas.
michelle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:15 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

my life has completely simplified itself over the course of the past month or so & will continue to do so...

which means i can devote time to the rally... and i plan to do just that. it's been wonderful to attend these past 4 years, but the time is now for me to step up.

i'll do whatever!

Lisa - you have my full support; mind, body, spirit. Let's roll.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger